Tarantino's Masterpiece...Discuss

I still aint see Basterds yet.

It's between Pulp and RD for me and it's hard but I'll go with Pulp. So many great lines in RD tho.

Basterds dvd rip anyone?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Masterpiece? Really? One of his most overrated films to be honest.
You say that in every thread about this movie but never say "why." I'm really curious to know your opinion.
There was nothing clever about the film as many of you say it is. I went into it with a clear head and left very disappointed.

The story dragged on way too long. The humor was very dry. I'll continue in another post because I can't think right now but there wasn't anything that stood out in this film compared to Pulp, Kill Bill 1 (I couldn't finish 2) and Jackie Brown. Its like Tarantino can do no wrong in the eyes of some viewers. Pulp Fiction wasn't even that great to be honest. The Kill Bill series is overrated but people loved the over the top violence present in both of the films. Like all films dealing with the Nazis, Jews and the Holocaust they are all proclaimed great before they hit the screen. IB doesn't fit that criteria in my opinion.
It sounds like you don't care for Tarantino.
And as Tarantino said it, Basterds takes place during WW2 but it's not a WW2 movie.

Maybe I don't care for Tarantino. He's one of the most overrated directors of the last 15 years. He hasn't grown as a director and people have failed to see that. The same themes are recurrent in each and every one of his films. Everything that he makes borrows heavily from other films or elements before him. Jackie Brown - blaxploitation film. Reservoir Dogs - Chow Yun Fat's City on Fire. Kill Bill series - borrowing from Asian culture once again to create a cluster %%$* of violence. The man is not innovative nor original and his presence on the screen would be better done away with. Planet Terror outshone Death Proof in every facet.

The quote by Tarantino means nothing. Yeah it takes place during World War 2 and of course its not a World War 2 movie. The war itself is rarely mentioned maybe once. I saw the movie, I understood the movie, I just didn't like it.
I don't really see how you can say that he hasn't grown as a director if you compare Reservoir Dogs to Basterds. The difference isn'teven close.

As far as borrowing goes, that isn't anything new in Hollywood. The majority of techniques that are used today are just taken from Classical Hollywood.Unlike other directors, Tarantino doesn't try to deny this fact, instead he turns it into an homage that has distinctively become his style.

Are you kidding me ? PULP > all of em......by a landslide !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COOK # 45

get fit.

Originally Posted by kickzrforme

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

I am a huge Tarantino fan, but IB was not his masterpiece. Although I loved that Movie, it def did not out do Pulp fiction

1) Pulp Fiction
2)Resivour Dougs
3) Inglorious bastards
4) kill Bill
5) Kill Bill 2
6) Jackie Brown
7) Little segment in Four rooms

sick.gif

What's the
sick.gif
for?
hzcpHGYzFmxj44gddG06lwBVo1_1280.gif

IB was good, but I don't think it was one of Tarantino's best.

Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, and Pulp Fiction are all great, but if I had to place them in an order it'd be:

1- Kill Bill
2- Pulp Fiction
3- Reservoir Dogs

Originally Posted by SJSneakerheadIII

This dude needs to speed it up with KB3.

I am going nuts waiting on this damn movie.
Don't kill yourself waiting. He said he didn't even write thee script yet in an interview recently. He also said it will be under adifferent title.

Originally Posted by SharpiePoint

Originally Posted by xxxoverridexxx

laugh.gif
kickzrforme wrote:

I am a huge Tarantino fan, but IB was not his masterpiece. Although I loved that Movie, it def did not out do Pulp fiction

1) Pulp Fiction
2)Resivour Dougs
3) Inglorious bastards
4) kill Bill
5) Kill Bill 2
6) Jackie Brown
laugh.gif
roll.gif
DOUGS
roll.gif

Yea, didn't proof read that. typed too fast, please proceed

Were you typing with your elbows then when you typed "dog"? Proof read or not dude no excuse for that typo....

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I liked Basterds and Kill Bill better than Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. I haven't seen RD for years but I remember not liking it. Pulp Fiction is good,but it's honestly been over-quoted into fame and the crappy little side conversations throw me off. They spend damn near 15 minutes talking about amilkshake.

Originally Posted by sonunox34

I liked Basterds and Kill Bill better than Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. I haven't seen RD for years but I remember not liking it. Pulp Fiction is good, but it's honestly been over-quoted into fame and the crappy little side conversations throw me off. They spend damn near 15 minutes talking about a milkshake.
That's what makes Taratino movies great. I love that little side conversation. Although it doesn't contribute much to the story, itcontributes a lot to characterizing the characters.

Pulp Fiction EASY. Jules Winnfield is one of my favorite movie characters of all time. Travolta was bad *!!. Uma looking
pimp.gif
and showing her acting prowess.I've watched this movie at least 20 times and it never gets old.

"Say 'what' again!"
pimp.gif

Maybe I don't care for Tarantino. He's one of the most overrated directors of the last 15 years. He hasn't grown as a director and people have failed to see that. The same themes are recurrent in each and every one of his films. Everything that he makes borrows heavily from other films or elements before him. Jackie Brown - blaxploitation film. Reservoir Dogs - Chow Yun Fat's City on Fire. Kill Bill series - borrowing from Asian culture once again to create a cluster %%$* of violence. The man is not innovative nor original and his presence on the screen would be better done away with. Planet Terror outshone Death Proof in every facet.

The quote by Tarantino means nothing. Yeah it takes place during World War 2 and of course its not a World War 2 movie. The war itself is rarely mentioned maybe once. I saw the movie, I understood the movie, I just didn't like it.
Nothing you said makes any sense or proves anything besides the fact that you don't care for Tarantino. Most film directors have reoccurringthemes in their movies and borrow from other places and other films.

"It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to." - Jean-Luc Goddard

A film can still be original even if they borrow influences from other places. Tarantino always said most of his films are homages to specific genres of moviesthat he loved as a kid, they aren't knock offs or imitations. And if you think Tarantino hasn't grown as a director look at someone like Scorsese.Scorsese constantly makes the same types of gangster movies/mafia movies, he didn't stop following the same formula until recently and he's beendirecting much longer than Tarantino has. So in comparison Tarantino has shown way more growth and range in a shorter amount of time seeing as how he'smade gangster movies, a kung fu movie/western, a blaxploitation film, a war movie, horror movies etc. When you compare all of Tarantino's movies none ofthem are the same.

Originally Posted by eghckk

Nothing you said makes any sense or proves anything besides the fact that you don't care for Tarantino. Most film directors have reoccurring themes in their movies and borrow from other places and other films.

"It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to." - Jean-Luc Goddard

A film can still be original even if they borrow influences from other places. Tarantino always said most of his films are homages to specific genres of movies that he loved as a kid, they aren't knock offs or imitations. And if you think Tarantino hasn't grown as a director look at someone like Scorsese. Scorsese constantly makes the same types of gangster movies/mafia movies, he didn't stop following the same formula until recently and he's been directing much longer than Tarantino has. So in comparison Tarantino has shown way more growth and range in a shorter amount of time seeing as how he's made gangster movies, a kung fu movie/western, a blaxploitation film, a war movie, horror movies etc. When you compare all of Tarantino's movies none of them are the same.
I wouldn't say Scorsese hasn't evolved. I mean sure, the majority of gangster films were directed by him, but he has such a longfilmography that there is plenty of parity.
The Last Temptation of Christ
New York, New York
Age of Innocence
Raging Bull
The King of Comedy
After Hours
Aviator

And then he has a bunch of other movies coming out that aren't gangster oriented.

The suspense in Ingloruious Basterds is what did it for me. He set out to make a Western in a WWII setting and I think he accomplished that 20x over in thatfilm.

I really liked IB a lot for some reasons, I think it was the acting. The villain (Christoph Waltz) was absolutely perfect in that role and I felt nervouswatching him around the protagonists, he was just that good. The violence was okay, but to me, it was the story - this epic retelling of how WW2 ended, thatsealed the deal for me. Pulp Fiction is close though.

After re-watching Inglorious Basterds for a 3rd time, I came to the conclusion that it does take some getting used to. I'll break down my reactions perwatch.

1st time- I was really excited to see a new Tarantino film in theaters. I had high hopes and I kept an ear open for quotable dialogue which is present in allof his films. I left a little disappointed because A) it was too long B) There weren't enough scenes with the Basterds, and C) Christopher Waltz (HansLanda) completely stole the show. *side note: he stole the show but that isn't a bad thing; I was distracted by all of his scenes that I missed all of thegreatness I would later discover during my re-watching

2nd time- The characters all grew on me. Again, Waltz stole the show for me. However this time, I came to the conclusion that Tarantino made this movie becausehe absolutely loves movies. There's a reoccurring theme of film appreciation throughout the movie. I realized that there are several WW2 movies that tellthe story of WW2, but so few movies that showcase what ELSE was going on during WW2. There are several (what would have been) pop culture references made. Theyeven shot and featured a Nazi propaganda film in the movie. "Nation's Pride" was shot in what I believe is true propaganda form:

Close shot: (this only shows for a split second, blink and you might miss it)

Wide shot:

Notice the bullet holes that just so happen to form a swastika? Props to Eli Roth on this (he directed this segment)

3rd time- I finally realized how stellar the dialogue is and how much this film mirrors Pulp Fiction. Pulp is 3 different stories taking place in the same areabut at different times yet they all directly affect eachother. Inglorious Basterds also 3 different stories (the story of Shoshana, The Jew Hunter, and ofcourse The Basterds) that would eventually come together. What makes Pulp Fiction so great was that we didn't know that the stories would all directlyaffect each other. My conclusion is that this is a fantastic movie. I wouldn't call it his masterpiece, but I rank this above Kill Bill and Death Proof.There are some really good arguments made in this thread and I figured I'd contribute. I don't expect everyone to read what I just typed up but if youdid, thanks.

Originally Posted by xxxoverridexxx

laugh.gif
kickzrforme wrote:

1) Pulp Fiction
2)Resivour Dougs
3) Inglorious bastards
4) kill Bill
5) Kill Bill 2
6) Jackie Brown
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

PULP