Tarantino's Masterpiece...Discuss

cant say I'm a huge fan of Tarantino, never really like the kill bills for exampl. Pulp is a good movie however, but outof all his works, I thinkInglourious Basterds has been the best yet. I like his cuts, the flow of the movie is great. He makes the storyline clear, I think it's a good piece ofwork.

All those movies mentioned are great IMO.

I also liked those Grindhouse films, can't go wrong with his movies.

Ya'll sleep on Death Proof. Name another movie where the director brings you into the lives of the 4 main characters, you follow them around, get to knowthem for 35-40 minutes, and then BAM, he kills them just like that, and starts the whole movie over with 4 DIFFERENT characters to follow and it'sSEAMLESS.
pimp.gif

Honestly, who else can pull that off?

Pulp is still #1 to me. Dogs is incredible, Bill is obviously great, but True Romance is really really underrated. I wish so much that Q could have been thedirector on that. I wonder what other shots he woulda gleamed from that movie.

And someone else said it earlier, his small peice of Four Rooms was brilliant also.

Originally Posted by TiDE619

After re-watching Inglorious Basterds for a 3rd time, I came to the conclusion that it does take some getting used to. I'll break down my reactions per watch.

1st time- I was really excited to see a new Tarantino film in theaters. I had high hopes and I kept an ear open for quotable dialogue which is present in all of his films. I left a little disappointed because A) it was too long B) There weren't enough scenes with the Basterds, and C) Christopher Waltz (Hans Landa) completely stole the show. *side note: he stole the show but that isn't a bad thing; I was distracted by all of his scenes that I missed all of the greatness I would later discover during my re-watching

2nd time- The characters all grew on me. Again, Waltz stole the show for me. However this time, I came to the conclusion that Tarantino made this movie because he absolutely loves movies. There's a reoccurring theme of film appreciation throughout the movie. I realized that there are several WW2 movies that tell the story of WW2, but so few movies that showcase what ELSE was going on during WW2. There are several (what would have been) pop culture references made. They even shot and featured a Nazi propaganda film in the movie. "Nation's Pride" was shot in what I believe is true propaganda form:

Close shot: (this only shows for a split second, blink and you might miss it)

Wide shot:

Notice the bullet holes that just so happen to form a swastika? Props to Eli Roth on this (he directed this segment)

3rd time- I finally realized how stellar the dialogue is and how much this film mirrors Pulp Fiction. Pulp is 3 different stories taking place in the same area but at different times yet they all directly affect eachother. Inglorious Basterds also 3 different stories (the story of Shoshana, The Jew Hunter, and of course The Basterds) that would eventually come together. What makes Pulp Fiction so great was that we didn't know that the stories would all directly affect each other. My conclusion is that this is a fantastic movie. I wouldn't call it his masterpiece, but I rank this above Kill Bill and Death Proof. There are some really good arguments made in this thread and I figured I'd contribute. I don't expect everyone to read what I just typed up but if you did, thanks.
There's also another shot when he's taking cover and they show a swastika carved into the wooden floor.

its btw pulp and dogs. ib was good but it was lacking something and i cant really put my finger on what it was. i only seen it once though and it prolly getsbetter with repeat viewings

Originally Posted by kickzrforme

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

I am a huge Tarantino fan, but IB was not his masterpiece. Although I loved that Movie, it def did not out do Pulp fiction

1) Pulp Fiction
2)Resivour Dougs
3) Inglorious bastards
4) kill Bill
5) Kill Bill 2
6) Jackie Brown
7) Little segment in Four rooms

sick.gif

What's the
sick.gif
for?
are you from Bmore?
laugh.gif

BUT... i am currently download Basterds right now, and Im hoping this movie is great.
Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are masterpieces though. I hope Inglorious Basterds is just as good

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Masterpiece? Really? One of his most overrated films to be honest.
You say that in every thread about this movie but never say "why." I'm really curious to know your opinion.
There was nothing clever about the film as many of you say it is. I went into it with a clear head and left very disappointed.

The story dragged on way too long. The humor was very dry. I'll continue in another post because I can't think right now but there wasn't anything that stood out in this film compared to Pulp, Kill Bill 1 (I couldn't finish 2) and Jackie Brown. Its like Tarantino can do no wrong in the eyes of some viewers. Pulp Fiction wasn't even that great to be honest. The Kill Bill series is overrated but people loved the over the top violence present in both of the films. Like all films dealing with the Nazis, Jews and the Holocaust they are all proclaimed great before they hit the screen. IB doesn't fit that criteria in my opinion.
It sounds like you don't care for Tarantino.
And as Tarantino said it, Basterds takes place during WW2 but it's not a WW2 movie.

Maybe I don't care for Tarantino. He's one of the most overrated directors of the last 15 years. He hasn't grown as a director and people have failed to see that. The same themes are recurrent in each and every one of his films. Everything that he makes borrows heavily from other films or elements before him. Jackie Brown - blaxploitation film. Reservoir Dogs - Chow Yun Fat's City on Fire. Kill Bill series - borrowing from Asian culture once again to create a cluster %%$* of violence. The man is not innovative nor original and his presence on the screen would be better done away with. Planet Terror outshone Death Proof in every facet.

The quote by Tarantino means nothing. Yeah it takes place during World War 2 and of course its not a World War 2 movie. The war itself is rarely mentioned maybe once. I saw the movie, I understood the movie, I just didn't like it.

i'm not even about to touch on this
laugh.gif
...Tarantino is the best...nuff said

Honestly IB is the first Tarantino movie I've seen.

It was COMPLETELY different from what I expected, I expected non stop action/violence, and a lot more of Brad Pitts character.

That being said I was pleasantly surprised, it was a great film, and I can't wait to watch it again. I feel subtitles take away from the film just a bit,just for the fact that we are too busy reading the subtitles instead of watching the actors act, but if they had all spoken english the movie would have lost aLOT of what it was. Movie was fantastic. The only complaint from me was not enough of Pitt's character.

I own dogs and pulpfiction, I should probably watch them ha ha

I'm glad Tarantino didn't get carried away with the Basterds and show more of them killing and what not because I think that would have taken away fromthe film. And having Pitt's character not dominating the movie added a little ambiguity that made his character all the more interesting.

I am a huge Tarantino fan, but IB was not his masterpiece. Although I loved that Movie, it def did not out do Pulp fiction

1) Pulp Fiction
2)Reservoir Dogs
3) Inglorious bastards
4) kill Bill
5) Kill Bill 2
6) Jackie Brown
this

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

1) Pulp Fiction
2)Reservoir Dogs
3) Inglorious bastards
4) kill Bill
5) Kill Bill 2
6) Jackie Brown
this

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

I think Tarantino is a closet racist.

A Racist Italian? Never that
laugh.gif

But duke ALWAYS finds a way to have a white dude say the N word in his films.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

1) Pulp Fiction
2)Resivour Dougs
3) Inglorious bastards
4) kill Bill
5) Kill Bill 2
6) Jackie Brown

sick.gif

What's the
sick.gif
for?
are you from Bmore?
laugh.gif

I was thinking that too
laugh.gif

Pulp Fiction. It was his first piece of work I've seen so there

I happen to be into World War II type stuff and the OSS, Special Forces type stuff, so for me InglouriousBasterds was my best 'Tino film. But I can totally understand how it isn't a lot of peoples best film that he made.

Back
Top Bottom