TEAM AIR FORCE 1 VOL. 6 AKA STOP PM'ING US

i dunno man. some of the early 2000 stuff has sub-par material. what year were the beige nyc snakes and women's grapes? i'm trying to remember pairs that i got and was disappointed with the quality.

The white NYCs with the brown snakeskin swoosh were 2003.

I think we are pretty much generally in agreement. It was all good through 2001. 2002 and 2003 saw a bit of a shape change and the quality of materials started becoming inconsistent. (2002 was still a great year for simple colorways though.) By 2005, stuff coming out well was the exception rather than the rule.

I feel like we've talked about this so many times lol

the new lunar pairs are on point

alot of the 1 world pack was dope

lebron chamber of fear wasn't half bad

GR's went down though

Last edited:
Every time I pick up the Lunars they just feel so trash to me. Like Nike is "tricking" the consumer by using all these other materials other than leather on their shoes

Three turning points:

• White on whites going into constant production
  • Thinner and easier to crease leather
  • Rappers and other celebrities fuelling the one a day mentality with white on whites

Discuss

Last edited:
Three turning points:

• White on whites going into constant production
  • Thinner and easier to crease leather
  • Rappers and other celebrities fuelling the one a day mentality with white on whites

Discuss

This is something I hadn't really thought of.

When I first started working at a shoe store, it was when they did White on Whites in the spring/summer, and Black forces in the fal//winter.

When it just started being a year round thing, the drop off was nuts

Every time I pick up the Lunars they just feel so trash to me. Like Nike is "tricking" the consumer by using all these other materials other than leather on their shoes

This is something I hadn't really thought of.

When I first started working at a shoe store, it was when they did White on Whites in the spring/summer, and Black forces in the fal//winter.

When it just started being a year round thing, the drop off was nuts

Agree with you on both points bud, having worked retail for almost a decade it was disappointing seeing Nike's product drop off over the years. From a manufacturing point of view, it's in their best interests to switch to the hyperfuse type materials. As a long time Nike head, well it's just disappointing seeing as prices keep going up.

I hear you on the subject of White/White and Black/Black - there was a point in time when you couldn't keep those in the store, and ultimately we had white/whites that were about 2 years old and more cream in colour due to product just sitting.

Yall are funny. In 04/05 Nike started making premium and later supreme air forces with the same quality that was put on older stuff. Its not like good quality air forces stopped being made they just used a different name to distinguish them. Nike probly figured that the people buying $70 air forces didnt care about the quality, and the people who did could buy the premiums for more $$. Hell, theres pairs coming out today that are just as nice of quality as the early 2000s stuff. The shape is off yes, but to say high quality air forces didnt exist after 03 is just wrong. 

Last edited:
Look at what I just found in my closet today. Too bad, they don't fit anymore.

Yall are funny. In 04/05 Nike started making premium and later supreme air forces with the same quality that was put on older stuff. Its not like good quality air forces stopped being made they just used a different name to distinguish them. Nike probly figured that the people buying $70 air forces didnt care about the quality, and the people who did could buy the premiums for more $$. Hell, theres pairs coming out today that are just as nice of quality as the early 2000s stuff. The shape is off yes, but to say high quality air forces didnt exist after 03 is just wrong. 

I think it was clear that people were referring to standard, baseline AFs. Of course, there are still some pretty decent quality AF1s that drop at premium price points. The shape is still all screwy though, as you mention.

BIP he knows what we are talking about. To not contradict us wouldn't be him. Isn't the shape of the shoe part of the quality? Quality depends only on materials? Obviously quality still exists but the quality of materials and shape from the 90s is unmatchable. Go back to buying and selling fake jordan samples buddy.

BIP he knows what we are talking about. To not contradict us wouldn't be him. Isn't the shape of the shoe part of the quality? Quality depends only on materials? Obviously quality still exists but the quality of materials and shape from the 90s is unmatchable. Go back to buying and selling fake jordan samples buddy.
Youre so angry man. Turn that frown upside down!!

No I didnt know what youre talkin about actually. If Nike is making air forces with nice materials, whats the issue? You cant honestly expect to get a Nike shoe with great materials for $80? The shape is the shape. Its really not that big of a deal to me. If you give two pairs of air forces with the same materials to a non-sneakerhead (hell, most sneakerheads outside this thread even) they wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

No I didnt know what youre talkin about actually. If Nike is making air forces with nice materials, whats the issue? You cant honestly expect to get a Nike shoe with great materials for $80? The shape is the shape. Its really not that big of a deal to me. If you give two pairs of air forces with the same materials to a non-sneakerhead (hell, most sneakerheads outside this thread even) they wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

yeah, dude went hard for no reason

but I disagree about the non sneaker head point. I worked at a shoe store for YEARS, and when I first started the Air Force 1 was at the height of its popularity, but by the time I left, the quality had fallen so far, that nobody wanted a pair, we couldnt give them away. Even guys who arent super into shoes didnt want them because they creased up so fast, and they "just werent like the old once". You should be able to get a nice shoe with nice materials for the baseline price of $90 or whatever a GR pair costs nowadays, I thought thats what inflation was for?

I disagree. Not only have they changed the visual shape of the shoe, they changed the fit as well. The last time I bought a new pair of white/ whites in my size about 4-5 yrs ago, they were too big. I had to go down 1/2 size but they were so uncomfortable, I relegated them to sock less summer beaters and shortly afterward just got rid of them. Every pair of AF1's I currently own are 10.5 and fit perfectly, "newest" pair being PR2's. Even if they brought back quality leather, I won't ever buy another pair because the shape AND the fit is bad.

I disagree. Not only have they changed the visual shape of the shoe, they changed the fit as well. The last time I bought a new pair of white/ whites in my size about 4-5 yrs ago, they were too big. I had to go down 1/2 size but they were so uncomfortable, I relegated them to sock less summer beaters and shortly afterward just got rid of them. Every pair of AF1's I currently own are 10.5 and fit perfectly, "newest" pair being PR2's. Even if they brought back quality leather, I won't ever buy another pair because the shape AND the fit is bad.
The reason why the fit is so bad is because they use really cheap, stiff pleather. Buy a pair of premium/supreme air forces and tell me theyre more uncomfortable than an older pair. To me, my linens and year of the dragon 2s feel the same.

As for thee other person who said you should be able to get a great quality GR for $90, well... thats your opinion. With Lebrons and Jordans retailing for upwards of $200, I dont think thats realistic. 

Golfin you've clearly never opened a box of 1991-1995 vintage highs - you know that plastic glue smell you are used to smelling when you open up a nike box? That used to smell like leather man - REAL LEATHER. Haha

The reason why the fit is so bad is because they use really cheap, stiff pleather. Buy a pair of premium/supreme air forces and tell me theyre more uncomfortable than an older pair. To me, my linens and year of the dragon 2s feel the same.

As for thee other person who said you should be able to get a great quality GR for $90, well... thats your opinion. With Lebrons and Jordans retailing for upwards of $200, I dont think thats realistic. 

And this is the problem

air force 1s aren't a signature basketball sneaker - they should not be anywhere in the realm of the same price

a quality af1 at $125 would be good

Anybody remember when white-on-white forces were just as hard to get on release day as Jordan's? Like you wouldn't have to camp but you'd have to be up early and be in touch with some mom and pop or FL employees to let you know when they were gonna drop. If you didn't cop that day you were waiting a good 6 months for a pair.

Anybody remember when white-on-white forces were just as hard to get on release day as Jordan's? Like you wouldn't have to camp but you'd have to be up early and be in touch with some mom and pop or FL employees to let you know when they were gonna drop. If you didn't cop that day you were waiting a good 6 months for a pair.

yeah as been stated the af1 shape and quality started to go down in 02/03 while there has still been nice materials used on certain pairs from than till now the shape has only gotten worse. and there was allot of ok to decent quality leather pairs throughout the golden era aswell.

nice stuff as usual the last few pages FAM.

Recent pick up for me, some 02 LAs or as i like to call them AJs since there Bgrades lol

Home and Aways

BIP he knows what we are talking about. To not contradict us wouldn't be him. Isn't the shape of the shoe part of the quality? Quality depends only on materials? Obviously quality still exists but the quality of materials and shape from the 90s is unmatchable.

Eh. Semantics. Whether you consider shape and quality are separate issues, or simply two sides of the same coin, that's what's keeping most of us away from new releases.

I do. At one point, white on whites sold out more quickly than any other shoe on the market.

Last edited:
i remember going to cop my first pair of white on whites.. only to run around to every store in the mall. and i walked out head down with a pair of all white converse weapon lows lmao.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ube
Back
Top Bottom