Team Metal Heads thread : Keep metal alive join the team!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot I mentioned that I visited my brother who lives in Texas for the first time back in October and wanted to see the legendary Dimebag Darrell’s and brother Vinnie Paul’s gravesite.
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1091.jpeg
IMG_1090.jpeg

This year has been one of the best years in metal history that I can recall, at least for me personally.

My album of the year still hasn't changed, and I'm close to locking it in as my favorite metal album of all time, period.
That album is of course "Heavener" by Invent Animate, which has easily overtaken Dark Tranquillity as my favorite metal band. My Spotify wrapped might as well have been an Invent Animate highlight reel.
Then they dropped an additional song recently, written after the album as a new sort of closer, that somehow blew my mind even more.
I recommend the full song obviously but the passage starting from around 2:33 to the end turns this song from great into a song of the year contender for me.

0 skips and according to Spotify I've listened to 5000something minutes of Invent Animate this year, out of 50 total genres and 37k minutes of music in total.
f2f1c175c6ed07ca7b40d4fc8a5f3b81.png

Other favorite metal releases this year:
Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
I know they're leaning more and more into what I assume to be progressive rock or something but idc, they've been a doom metal band forever and I'll continue to consider them at least metal-adjacent.
Their previous album was a step down from the one before but this is 2 steps back up again. Zero skips.
b697e05d61947df0304205f1a4ff4f87.png

Standout track: Drab Moon

Another fantastic project here from Currents this year. Mostly what you expect from a Currents album, in a good way. Incorporates elements from the last album but goes for a slightly heavier overall tone. Btw this band is amazing live, please go see them if you're a fan (or even if you just like metalcore) and have the opportunity.
e841167bdc30f43220a237732b323a60.png

Standout track: It's either "Unfamiliar" for me or "Living in Tragedy", the latter being very heavy by Currents' standards.

Then there's Silent Planet's new album, which is a pretty huge change in direction from their last album Iridescent. This is a far more industrial/cyberpunk sound, though you still clearly hear the classic Silent Planet sound. Not all songs are in that sound so there's stuff here for fans of their previous works too. Don't be fooled by the more experimental tracks like my standout track from this album, overall this is a pretty heavy album.
2f315d615bbc0565077ff974d8124123.png

Standout track: Antimatter
Easily the most experimental shift to a more industrial/cyberpunk sound, or whatever you'd describe it as

Last edited:
I’ve been digging that silent planet album as well. Will comeback with my aoty list as well

my AOTY list was pretty short this time around. not much caught my ears. about 10 and only 4 were metal.

German black metal Leipa with their album Reue. slow emotional powerful

EYES! - Congratulations
Danish hardcore

Necropanther - Betrayal
Thrashy death metal from Colorado

Thantifaxath - Hive Mind Narcosis
Canadian black metal. in the traditional sense of the vocals sounding like they recorded with the singer's mic being 30ft away. While also experimenting in how they take you thru the album

and if you're one to trust big youtubers, Fantano reviewed it

No offense but I think Falling In Reverse is in my top 3 of worst bands I’ve ever heard.
Especially their earlier albums where Ronnie Radke did a lot more writing. The actual instrumentals can go hard but this is a 40 year old man with an enormous ego who’s been writing ‘I’m 13 and this is deep’ garbage for over a decade.
The song “Videogame” is easily one of the worst abominations ever recorded.

I actually find this band so horrendous and cringeworthy that it becomes fun as an ironic listen. I’ve heard the whole discography, including Ronnie Radke’s rap mixtape, and admittedly it was very entertaining. Every time I thought the bar couldn’t go lower, Ronnie continuously subverted my expectations.

The actual band members are pretty good, it’s solely the influence of Ronnie Radke that poisons the well.

Last edited:
No offense but I think Falling In Reverse is in my top 3 of worst bands I’ve ever heard.
Especially their earlier albums where Ronnie Radke did a lot more writing. The actual instrumentals can go hard but this is a 40 year old man with an enormous ego who’s been writing ‘I’m 13 and this is deep’ garbage for over a decade.

I actually find this band so horrendous and cringeworthy that it becomes fun as an ironic listen. I’ve heard the whole discography, including Ronnie Radke’s rap mixtape, and admittedly it was very entertaining.

I didn’t listen to most emo bands at that time because they seemed bad to me. In the music sphere of some bands that would play with them but were different genres were another thing. Metalcore, pop punk, etc. the devil wears Prada or a day to remember.

BUT Ronnie did do some things. Ahead of the curve of what is considered normal now. Watch the whole thing if you want but 5:44-6:40 mark is Ronnie’s biggest “legacy” selling point

Still don’t like FIL

I didn’t listen to most emo bands at that time because they seemed bad to me. In the music sphere of some bands that would play with them but were different genres were another thing. Metalcore, pop punk, etc. the devil wears Prada or a day to remember.

BUT Ronnie did do some things. Ahead of the curve of what is considered normal now. Watch the whole thing if you want but 5:44-6:40 mark is Ronnie’s biggest “legacy” selling point

Still don’t like FIL

I mean, clearly he built a good career. His music videos are doing huge numbers for a metal band, and me finding it the most cringeworthy garbage I've ever heard doesn't change that.
It's like Sleep Token. Some people think their album is amazing, others find it a horrible 0/10 amalgamation with cringy 'I'm 13 and this is deep' lyrics and what is typically described as 'cursive singing.'
Personally I find Sleep Token ok and I saved Euclid and Rain to my Spotify likes but I can definitely see why someone would be like Anthony Fantano gave the album a NOT GOOD 0/10 rating. On paper, Sleep Token's music sounds like everything I despise too (especially the cursive singing thing) but idk why in their case I'm not really bothered by it.

Ronnie Radke is definitely a talented musician, as are the band members. I might find everything involving Ronnie Radke comically awful but at the end of the day Falling In Reverse has probably brought a lot of new fans to metal. What really takes their music to a negative/10 imo is the rapping.
He is basically the 'white rapper stereotype' brought to life. Corny edgy bars, 'I rap fast so I rap good' mentality, the 'lyrical miracle sprititual' nonsense while pretending they're above current big rappers. In fact in that Watch The World Burn song, I remember bursting out laughing because he came very close to a lyrical miracle type bar.

Back
Top Bottom