Teen Tweets Pic of Dying Hit & Run Victim

jhawk826

Banned
[h1]Teen Tweets Pic Of Dying Hit & Run Victim Instead Of Calling Police[/h1][h6]August 3, 2012 6:00 AM[/h6]
Share this 6
View Comments
Share and see what your friends read on CBS Local.
What's this?

tweet-photo-v290.jpg

(credit: Thinkstock)

[h5]Filed under[/h5]Autos, Autos News

[h5]Related tags[/h5]Fatal Hit-And-Run, Hit and Run, Ikram Choudhury, Texting, Tweeting, Tweeting Photo

Legal obligations aside, let us throw out a moral question: if you saw someone motionless in the street, critically injured following a hit and run accident, would you phone for police and render aid, or would you snap a pic of the dying victim and Tweet about it?

A 19-year-old driver in Edinburgh, Scotland, opted to do the latter when he saw a body in the road outside Edinburgh’s Ocean Terminal. The injured man, who had been sleeping in the road prior to being struck by a car, was later pronounced dead at the Edinburg Royal Infirmary.

According to The Daily Record, the driver in question, 19-year-old Ikram Choudhury, came upon the scene at roughly 1:55 in the morning. Stopping his car, Choudhury snapped a picture of the victim on his smartphone, then tweeted, “Eeeehm wtf? Some guy just casually lying outside Ocean Terminal.”

Choudhury then returned to his car and drove home, never checking on the victim and never dialing 999, the U.K. equivalent of our 911. Police arrived on scene at 2:10 a.m. and immediately called for an ambulance, but the victim later succumbed to his injuries.

Choudhury’s picture of the victim remained on his Twitter feed for some eight hours, until police asked him to take it down.

In Choudhury’s defense, he didn’t witness the hit and run accident and likely assumed the man was just another homeless guy, sleeping off a drunk in a rather inappropriate place. Still, common sense would have dictated a call to 999 to report a body in the road.

Police have cleared Choudhury in the actual hit and run, but the teen driver may still face charges for failing to render aid.

Let this be a reminder to all of us that life is more than an opportunity for social media recognition. The real world, with real people, real drama and, occasionally, real danger, lies beyond our computers, tablets and smartphones.
This story doesn't surprise me as in the last year I've seen numerous bodies get posted on Twitter immediately after they've died (shootings, car crashes, etc.), but the thing that I don't get is what people would do for some RTs and mentions.

:smh: :smh: :smh: So this is what it's come to huh? My faith in humanity is gone b. Who does this? These younger people scare me, and I'm not even old.

I'm telling you man.....all that social media will be gone in 10 years or so, it's going to implode and crumble as it breeds mindless behavior like this. :smh:

Yep. People more concerned about posting shock and awe on Twitter than bothering to check on the condition of another human being. Not surprised at all.

I'm telling you man.....all that social media will be gone in 10 years or so, it's going to implode and crumble as it breeds mindless behavior like this.
mean.gif
laugh.gif
 no.

Social Media is the new norm. you'll only see more sophisticated advancements in coming years.

and stay classy Scotland

If I see a body on the road at 2 am I'm driving around it. For all I know it could be a trap, as soon as I step out the car and check to see if they're okay I could get jumped, robbed, etc.

I'm good.

It's a shame because I probably know at least one person that would
Do some stupid $% like that

Last edited:
:lol:  no.

Social Media is the new norm. you'll only see more sophisticated advancements in coming years.

and stay classy Scotland

Nothing last forever my friend....Something so outlandish and brutal may occur and people will slowly want their privacy back. If you think Facebook is some unbreakable empire that will never die.....more power to you.

If I see a body on the road at 2 am I'm driving around it. For all I know it could be a trap, as soon as I step out the car and check to see if they're okay I could get jumped, robbed, etc.
I'm good.

At least cruise by to see if someone brains aint scattered on the pavement, or dying. You may save a life who knows. Today criminals are clever so I see where you coming from.

I'm good.
True.
When I read the thread title I thought the kid ran him over then tweeted a pic of him.
Still, if you're gonna get out of your car to snag a pic might as well see if the guy is alright

I'm telling you man.....all that social media will be gone in 10 years or so, it's going to implode and crumble as it breeds mindless behavior like this.
mean.gif
It's sad man...didn't really have to think twice about getting off FB and Twitter.

To each his own though.

I'm good.
True, but you don't need to get out of your car to call the cops or anything.

:smh: :smh: :smh: So this is what it's come to huh? My faith in humanity is gone b. Who does this? These younger people scare me, and I'm not even old.
THIS true on so many levels, I 'm scared to see what world my kids would see at my age if I had some.

I'm good.
Stop the car and call the police. In that situation it's not like your can heal them anyway. But I understand what your saying because I would think that too. I wouldn't get out the car or turn off the engine.

I've been out late night driving home and seeing a girl get her *** whooped screaming by what seemed to be her boyfriend, she was screaming her *** off begging him to stop it and he kept yelling he was going to kill her. I drove off but while driving off called 5-0 and told them where it was at and what was going on.  Literally got down 5 blocks looked in my rear view mirror and seen the lights, they had arrived. It doesn't take much work to put a call in to help someone it takes minimal effort at that, if you can drive and text b.s then why can;t you make a quick call to help someone out? 

People these days man. 

Most of you are reaching. He clearly thought the guy was a drunk. How many homeless folk have you seen lying on the ground daily?!!! Do you call 911??? Hell nah. It's just a simple misunderstanding. Besides why the hell was he sleeping on the road anyways?!?

The injured man, who had been sleeping in the road prior to being struck by a car, was later pronounced dead at the Edinburg Royal Infirmary.
Uh....

Let's answer that before throwing stones at the kid for snapping a pic. 

Back
Top Bottom