Tell NT why you picked the teams you root for.... Vol. SKA's Sig

3rd Generation Pack fan... grew up in FL when GB was in the NFC Central and played Tampa Bay twice a year so i've attended games with Majkowski taking snaps.

Baseball: I cant watch baseball. Mariners were my team when i was 10 years old though, and Diamond backs because I was born in AZ.

Hockey: Buffalo Sabres, been that way since around 1993 or so when i picked up my first hockey game and the person who put me onto it lived in Buffalo, spent a lot of time out there over the years.

Basketball: Ehhhhh... dont follow 1 team.

NCAAF: Florida State, was the school i wanted to go to as a youngster growing up in FL.

NCAAB: SIENA Saints
pimp.gif
, been in NY's Capital region for about 17 years now and its the only relevant local sport we have especially now.

Cowboys - The Triplets

Yankees - Didn't really follow baseball growing up, not that popular over here. Started watching MLB games in '96, Yankees' games were on a few times, liked the way they played and have been following them ever since

UNC - For reasons still unclear to me I have a vehement dislike for Duke basketball and Mike Kryskjdls;afpasfduopfuodsof, so I root for their biggest rival

I don't really have a favorite NBA team, but I'm a huge T-Mac fan so I was a de facto Magic and Rockets fan the last few years. I'm also a "fan" of any team that's playing the Lakers on a given night.
tongue.gif

As for College football I don't really have a team either, but the last few years I have started dynasties in NCAA Football with Florida, The U, and Notre Dame.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Shaq
Same for me when it comes to the Lakers.

I'm on the East Bay, so liking the A's and Raiders came naturally. I actually grew up with the A's, as my family was pro-Athletics. The Raiders I came upon myself, however, as everyone else in the family followed the Niners.

Homer.

Philadelphia could have a ****** field hockey team and if they won the chip I'd be talking %$%$ like it was the Eagles or somebody.

UNC - I'm from CH, parents/family are fans, went to FB and BB games as kid and ended up going to school here.
Carolina Panthers - Home state team.  I've been rooting for them since they opened.
Charlotte Bobcats - Same deal as the Panthers.  I used to be a Hornets fan, but they left...+$$! them.
ATL Braves - They get more exposure in NC than any other MLB team.
The home teams basically.

Some things need to be cleared up in here...

You can't start rooting for a team, back off when they're in a down cycle, then renew the relationship once the team starts winning again. All those Cowboys fans who jumped off the bandwagon in the late-'80s, jumped back on during the Emmitt/Aikman Era, then jumped back off in the late-'90s ... you know who you are. You shouldn't even be allowed out in public.

(There's nothing worse than a Bandwagon Jumper. If sports were a prison and sports fans made up all the prisoners, the Bandwagon Jumpers would be like the child molesters -- everyone else would pick on them, take turns beating them up and force them to toss more salads than Emeril Lagasse.)

Once you choose a team, you're stuck with that team for the rest of your life ... unless one of the following conditions applies:

1. Your team moves to another city. All bets are off when that happens. In fact, if you decided to turn off that sport entirely, nobody would blame you.

2. You grew up in a city that didn't field a team for a specific sport -- so you picked a random team -- and then either a.) your city landed a team, or b.) you moved to a city that fielded a team for that specific sport. For instance, one of my Connecticut buddies rooted for the Sixers during the Doctor J Era, then happened to be living in Orlando when the Magic came to town. Now he's a Magic fan. That's acceptable.

3. One of your immediate family members either plays professionally or takes a relevant management/coaching/front office position with a pro team.

4. You follow your favorite college star (and this has to be a once-in-a-generation favorite college star) to the pros and root for his team du jour ... like if you were a UNC fan for the past 20 years, and you rooted for the Bulls (because of MJ) and then the Raptors (because of Vince). Only works if there isn't a pro team in your area.

5. If you're between the ages of 20-40, you're a fan of the Yankees, Cowboys, Steelers, Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Canadiens and/or Oilers, and you're not actually from one of those cities ... well, you better have a reason that goes beyond "When I was picking a favorite team as a kid, they were the best team, so I picked them."

At least give me a reason like "Reggie Jackson was my favorite player growing up," or "I always liked the red Bulls uniforms," or even "Everyone in my gang wore Raiders colors." Do you really want to be known as a bona fide Bandwagon Jumper?

You can make fun of Simmons's douchebaggery or whatever, but come on...being a Lakers fan because of Eddie Jones/Kobe, and then switching to the Thunder because of Durant? What are you, a sports fan free agent? Pick a damn team and stick with them.

Florida State college football, Mets baseball, Giants football all because my older brother is a fan.
I became a Grizzlies fan because they were new to the league and had ill jerseys
laugh.gif
I've never been a fan of one basketball team though, if I root for them it's because one of my favorite players plays for em. Iverson made me a Sixers ''fan'', Melo made me a Nuggets ''fan'', Bibby started on the Grizzlies and wore my favorite kicks on occasion so I rocked w/ the Kings, etc.
UConn basketball because.. it's UConn basketball
pimp.gif
Lady Huskies were the first women basketball players I saw win something on TV so I stuck with them and they kept winning(for the most part) and Geno > *
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by toine2983

As for College football I don't really have a team either, but the last few years I have started dynasties in NCAA Football with Florida, The U, and Notre Dame.
sick.gif

from LA:

LA Lakers: parents were fans (they put up '88 championship pennant in my room when i was 2). As far back as i could remember I was a laker fan, watching sedale threatt and elden campbell run around the fabulous forum.

LA Dodgers: got into baseball around 1999, then adrian beltre had a PE'd 48 HR season and Shawn Green hit 4 HR in one game (before he began hitting slow double play grounders to first)

LA Kings: around 2001, Palffy-Allison-Deadmarsh and the Stunner at Staples. Felix the Cat.

i'll watch the Galaxy if its on, the stadium is 5 mins from my house.

******** - born n raised in the "DMV"

Knicks - Michael Jordan hater when I was a kid

UM Hurricanes - Notre Dame hater

Lakers - the local team. I was 9 when I started to follow them (Kobe and Fish's rookie year).

Grizzlies - when Jerry West got hired to be the GM. Then O.J. got drafted.

Flyers, Phillies and Sixers because it's local. Dolphins because i was a big Marino fan.

Penn State because my fam roots for them and kinda local

UCLA because of John Wooden, Jackie Robinson, alot of history plus i went there

smile.gif

I'm from LA and these are the teams that I grew up watching and rooting for. 

Lakers - More than anything I hated the Spurs, family full of Spurs fans, I wanted to see them lose, the Lakers were the best chance for that to happen.

Longhorns - Born and raised in Austin, etc.

Rangers, Mets, Jets, and Knicks because they're local teams and thats how I was raised.

I really don't have a reason for the Texas Longhorns but that's just my college team for basketball and football.

Im from Maine so i dont feel like i need to like any of the boston teams. so i always went outside the box to be different. I mostly found players i liked then stayed with that team.
Green Bay-Brett Favre, stuck with them since
Houston Astros-Bagwell and Biggio, stuck with them
Houston Rockets-Hakeem, stuck with them since
NY Rangers-Mark Messier and Brain Leech, Stuck with them.

Well, I was born in Ft. Worth and grew up in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so all the teams I root for are local.

TCU-Alumni of 2007

Mavs- Been going to Mavs games since Jason Kidd was there the first time

Cowboys- Always been a Cowboys fan. Was at the NFC Championship game vs. the Packers back in 1996.

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Born in 1985

San Antonio

- LA Lakers:  hated the Spurs at the time and wanted to root for a team that had more flair. 
indifferent.gif

but I bet you were the 1st one downtown the years they won the chips...
nerd.gif
grin.gif
I should ignore this but i won't
ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

No I was not on 35 honking my horn, 

No I was not at South Park and Academy buying Spurs Championship gear...

No I was not screaming STAY TIM STAY while in full panic mode

While I respect the team and organization for what they have done for my city... i do not root for the Spurs....ever.

Back
Top Bottom