TENNIS - Serena Williams: "Quite frankly, I'm the best in the world."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUKTRE5432YC20090504
I'm the best despite the rankings, says Serena
Mon May 4, 2009 3:37pm BST

ROME (Reuters) - Serena Williams still rates herself as the best player in the world even though she has been toppled from the top spot by Russia's Dinara Safina.

"We all know who the real number one is," Williams told a news conference at the Italian Open on Monday. "Quite frankly, I'm the best in the world."

Second ranked Williams, who will face Swiss Patty Schnyder in her opening match in Rome, felt she could back up her claim because she owns 10 grand slam singles titles while Safina's tally stands at zero.

Asked which opponent she feared most, the American quipped: "Probably myself. I always beat myself."

The 27-year-old, who has already dabbled in fashion designing and action, said she was thinking about expanding her off-court interests.

"I've been writing, but I haven't been writing. In my mind I've been saying I want to write, but I haven't actually physically picked up a pencil and started writing," the U.S. Open and Australian Open champion said.

"So that is my next challenge, to actually to sit down and do it. No (not my life story). A screenplay. Nothing is impossible."

Classy
smh.gif

This, once again, reminds me why I dislike Serena so much...

i honestly feel if the williams sisters didnt dabble in other stuff, like fashion and acting they would have more grand slams,

i also honestly feel that if venus or serena didnt have the other sister to worry about , than one of them woulda had 20 + grandslams

she should act like she's number 1 and actually get in shape like she's number 1

Originally Posted by JayGunnA

she should act like she's number 1 and actually get in shape like she's number 1

That's all well and good but she has won the last two Grand Slams so I don't really see a reason for her to get in shape.

Yeah, she won the last two, but she has been injured A LOT over the last two - three yrs, and not being outta shape doesn't help fight injuries

U think she wouldn't win even more if she was in shape? I know she would. She has the potential and ability for a steffi graf like dominance. Thedifference is she stay flabby and hurt

I follow tennis and care about it more than any other sport, and Serena is in shape. If you compare Serena from 2 years ago to now you'll understandexactly what I mean. I doubt she'll ever be as fit as she was during the Serena slam years but she keeps working harder and harder on her fitness(She's always down at Bolliteri's camp training and her results over the past year reflects her improved fitness). Regarding her comments, she is 100%correct. The ranking system on the women's side is so flawed it's laughable. Safina hasn't won a single title this year( not even talking about agrand slam) and the only reason she's #1 is because the women's ranking system punishes players that do well the year before. For example, if you win5 tournaments the year before the only way you keep your ranking this year is if you win the same 5 tournaments this year. The problem is that the WTA as partof its "Road Map" plan decided to change the ranking points allocation which means that the same tournaments players played last year would now beworth more or less ranking points. Women's tennis(outside of the time Marcello Rios was #1 back in 1998 when everyone knew the best player was Sampras) isone of the few sports where the #1 player can achieve #1 without winning a major title(not just grand slams but tier 1 events too).

IMO the main cause of Serena's knee injuries has been her poor footwork. For all her speed and athleticism Serena has some of the poorest footworkI've seen which certainly hasn't helped her cause.

Someone needs to put pics. of her fine thick *** for all to see.
Best body in tennis....along with best game!
Have to agree with her.

Originally Posted by Roll 22

Have to agree with her.
KoufaxSpahn_11058_5356.jpg

This picture was in every barbershop in the hood across America.

There are upskirt and nipple shots if you seek them.

What Serena has accomplished is amazing.

You look at most of the top female tennis players in recent years and what Serena has over all of them is longeavity. She's been consistenly good for over10 years now, how many other female tennis players can say the same?

There's nothing wrong with what she said.

Sounds like she was just stating facts to me. If she doesn't think the girl should be #1, then why lie to be PC...

Originally Posted by aepps20

I follow tennis and care about it more than any other sport, and Serena is in shape. If you compare Serena from 2 years ago to now you'll understand exactly what I mean. I doubt she'll ever be as fit as she was during the Serena slam years but she keeps working harder and harder on her fitness (She's always down at Bolliteri's camp training and her results over the past year reflects her improved fitness). Regarding her comments, she is 100% correct. The ranking system on the women's side is so flawed it's laughable. Safina hasn't won a single title this year( not even talking about a grand slam) and the only reason she's #1 is because the women's ranking system punishes players that do well the year before. For example, if you win 5 tournaments the year before the only way you keep your ranking this year is if you win the same 5 tournaments this year. The problem is that the WTA as part of its "Road Map" plan decided to change the ranking points allocation which means that the same tournaments players played last year would now be worth more or less ranking points. Women's tennis(outside of the time Marcello Rios was #1 back in 1998 when everyone knew the best player was Sampras) is one of the few sports where the #1 player can achieve #1 without winning a major title(not just grand slams but tier 1 events too).

IMO the main cause of Serena's knee injuries has been her poor footwork. For all her speed and athleticism Serena has some of the poorest footwork I've seen which certainly hasn't helped her cause.

this man knows what he's talking about. I'ma huge Martina hingis fan and even I knew she didn't deserve to be #1 when she was getting smoked byVenus and Serena.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Originally Posted by Roll 22

Have to agree with her.
KoufaxSpahn_11058_5356.jpg

This picture was in every barbershop in the hood across America.

There are upskirt and nipple shots if you seek them.
Bring them on!
The more, the better....

Back
Top Bottom