Tesla will open-source ALL of its patents...this is HUGE.

:wow: :pimp:

Elon Musk has always been a rebel. Now he’s an open source rebel.

While many in Silicon Valley have railed against patent wars in recent years, and some have lobbied Washington to reform patent law, Tesla’s taking an unprecedented step of opening all its electric car patents to outside use.

In a blog post on Thusday, Musk said Tesla has removed the patents decorating the wall of the company’s Palo Alto headquarters — a symbolic move to coincide with this announcement. Tesla’s billionaire cofounder and CEO writes that the company “will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.”

Rest of Article in Link

It's going to be interesting to see what other car companies now do with Tesla's information. Making a move like this only tells me that Tesla has something crazy up their sleeves that will completely **** on the industry and REALLY put distance between them and their next closest competitor. Overall, this is great news for the planet. Good on Tesla for doing this.

Damn.. I saw headlines on jalopnik earlier... But didn't think to this level... And great for Musk, he really knows what he's doing... This is a great business and PR move for them...

What I think Elon wants  to happen is that there will Tesla imitator start ups all over the world including major companies creating a "green" division of sorts, driving down the cost, making all electric fuel stops more practical, thus increasing the electronic vehicle market share of the vehicle market. Whatever tesla got up there sleep is bound to be a doozy.

Or maybe that's just it. There isn't anything. Musk so rich he don't need it. More competition drives down the cost and makes it a more attractive option. Whether or not he has some grand tech up his sleeve is irrelevant. He wins

Last edited:
gonna learn how to destroy a car that uses Tesla's technology.

Sell Idea to oil companies

Take a trip to Vegas

??????

Profit.

Aren't the batteries on these cars and electric cars in general an arm and a leg? A dude at work had a Prius and owned it for like 5 yrs and the battery went bad and was gonna cost 10k to repair so he just bought a corolla instead

Aren't the batteries on these cars and electric cars in general an arm and a leg? A dude at work had a Prius and owned it for like 5 yrs and the battery went bad and was gonna cost 10k to repair so he just bought a corolla instead
Yep.

But the bigger issue is how terrible the batteries are for the environment. 

I read somewhere that it takes more oil to manufacture a Prius battery than an entire heavy diesel truck will consume in it's lifetime

This isn't the worst legal move, I mean to help destroy big oil. Part of patent law is: an idea must not have been something anyone in the same field, with the proper knowledge, could have come up with. By releasing their designs, they have effectively accelerated the proper knowledge of the field.

By doing so, those holding patents in similar items can no longer claim their items were beyond the proper knowledge of anyone in the field. Ex: you cant hold the patent on a Basic bridge design, such as brooklyn bridge, because any engineer, with proper Knowledge of bridge design, could have come up with something relatively similar to the Brooklyn bridge.

So now, lets say tesla designed a self sustaining car; Edison designed a car that was also self sustaining, but with a minor difference in design. Before tesla released their designs, these were the only two companies that could design self sustaining cars, but since Tesla has released it's designs, any company with competent engineers can now look at teslas,very similar to Edison's, designs and discover the minor difference in Edison's design, thus making the difference 'proper knowledge' of the engineering field and Edison's patent is essentially worthless.

(Proper knowledge = general knowledge, idk why I said proper, but I'm not hanging it)

Teslas are cool if you want to drive 200 miles every 8 hours
mean.gif

Yep.

I read somewhere that it takes more oil to manufacture a Prius battery than an entire heavy diesel truck will consume in it's lifetime

:lol: damn, that's turrible.

Yep.

:lol: damn, that's turrible.

And that's a huge truck.. How about a a Golf Tdi?... I've always been a diesel supporter... And I'm fine with hybrids, as long as they're not PoS Prius and whatnot...

Imo, the future of cars is... They will be hybrids with very efficient, small engines and the electric power will be used to offset the power the small engine looses... They will run on electric power when cruising with the engine making more electricity...

I could be totally wrong but I think he would rather invest on altering the battery this making his model relatively cheap he did say he wanted to bring the cost down to 35K in the near future but couldn't do so because of the battery. He's basically creating a new technological powerhouse for batteries of the future. :pimp:

I thought the warranty on the hybrid batteries was something like 10 years or 150k miles?

I could be totally wrong but I think he would rather invest on altering the battery this making his model relatively cheap he did say he wanted to bring the cost down to 35K in the near future but couldn't do so because of the battery. He's basically creating a new technological powerhouse for batteries of the future. :pimp:

Tesla will REALLY change the game if they make a more affordable car for the middle class. The other great thing about them open-sourcing their technology is that other companies will get behind the push to have more charging stations around the US. Right now, there are only a handful. Tesla's, IMO, are not optimal for long-distance travel just because of that reason. Skip ahead 5 years from now, things could be completely different due to other companies having this technology to start making their own product that uses charging stations.

Last edited:
:wow:

The Dev community on Tesla will be 100x larger than the Dev team for android.

:pimp:

Another thing...the open-source might pave the way for Tesla to open dealerships in states that had previously vetoed their efforts. The possibilities are endless due to what Elon is doing.

Like I said, Elon is my hero professionally speaking. Dude set his sights on changing the world in 3 industries that would dominate the future: Green Energy, Space Exploration, and the Internet.

He achieved that in a short span of 10-15 years with Paypal, SpaceX, and Tesla. Dude's an animal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

His wiki page is actually a good read

Back
Top Bottom