Thank you for helping NT donate $7,000 to the HSUS' End Dogfighting Campaign!

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Methodical Management, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Methodical Management

Methodical Management Administrator Staff Member Co-Founder

Tonight, Michael Vick is expected to make his debut with the Philadelphia Eagles and throw his first pass in the NFL since his now infamous 2007 arrest fordogfighting and gambling charges.

Given the sudden surge in public interest, it's an opportune moment to mention that an estimated 40,000 Americans engage in dogfighting. It would be convenient to brand these 40,000+ people asmonsters for inflicting such unspeakable cruelty on other living, feeling, caring creatures - yet doing so only ignores the root cause. Caring about our fellowspecies doesn't require us to be unfeeling toward the plight of our fellow human beings. Compassion is not a limited resource.

Considering the number of Michael Vick fans who've frequented the site over the years, some of whom continued to stand by him even after his arrest anditeration after iteration of ugly and underwhelming signature sneakers, we considered it our responsibility to devote our resources (which, in contrast tocompassion, are decidedly limited) to a program that combats cruelty without being cruel, a program that exemplifiesempathy toward animals both human and nonhuman alike.

Today, we're thrilled to announce our support of the Humane Society in the United States (HSUS) and their innovative End Dogfighting campaign through acommunity donation of $7,000 (Vick's number x 1,000).

[​IMG]

The End Dogfighting campaign reaches out to young people in our communities through an empowering series of educational programs. Rather than barging into acommunity in paternalist fashion and attempting a top-down, "one size fits all" approach, these programs utilize peer-based leadership from withinthe community. Developing a sense of empathy and respect, both for other creatures and for ourselves, can do far more to prevent these crimes than brutalizingoffenders after the fact as means of crude and selective retribution.

You can learn more about their efforts here: http://www.hsus.org/acf/fighting/dogfight/programs/

Check out this video of Michael Vick speaking to kids in Chicago as part of the HSUS campaign. You'll also get a peek at some of their local outreachefforts their as well.

The program is currently in Atlanta and Chicago, but will launch soon in Los Angeles.
    If you want to help the program launch in LA, expand to another neighborhood in Atlanta, or come to your city, I hope you'll consider offering a donation of your own.

Also, if you live in Chicago or Atlanta and you'd like to donate dog food to the program, you could be a big help. Countless pit bulls die in shelters.Helping people care for them who might not otherwise be able to afford it can improve their lives as well as save the life of a dog that might otherwise bekilled. If you're interested, send me a PM or send an email to our staff account and I'll put you in touch with somebody at the HSUS. (I can't posttheir email address here without subjecting them to spam.)

Thanks so much for supporting our donations, everyone. As you probably know, we donate 100% of our ad revenues beyond the basic cost of hosting to charity. Ifyou participate with our advertising, even just by allowing them to load on your computer, you're helping to contribute. We're working hard to improvethe ad quality and we appreciate everyone's patience. I hope that, when you see the results in the form of these donations and the incredible work peopleare doing them, you'll consider it well worth it.

For those keeping score at home, this puts our total donations to date at over $93,000. With your help, we canbreak $100,000 in total donations by NikeTalk's 10th anniversary on December 10th!

2. jaflash

jaflash

nice

3. klipschorn

klipschorn

I thought our funds was on its way to the 100k mark? Or did you mean cumulative? [​IMG]

4. beast4ya

beast4ya

good job NT

i didnt even hear about this

5. putting in work

putting in work

[​IMG]

Good to see that there's still good hearted people out there still...

6. Methodical Management

Since someone always asks, here's a list of our previous donations:

Thank you for helping NikeTalk donate$19,000 to build a library in Nepal!
    Thanks for helping NikeTalk donate $10,000to the WWF to join the Amur Leopard Conservation Society!...
    Thank you forhelping NikeTalk donate $4,056 to Habitat for Humanity!
    Thank you for helpingFree The Children build a school in Kenya! ($17,204)
    Thanks for helping NikeTalk allocate $6,820 to Kiva.org - now YOU can decide who we loan it to!
    Thank you for helping NikeTalk donate $5,000 to Green For All! www.greenforall.org
    Thank You for Helping NT Donate$2,768.60 to JDRF!
    NikeTalk Donates $2,553 to the American CancerSociety
    Thanks for helping NT donateover $2,000 to Operation Smile
    Thanks to you, NikeTalk hasjust donated $3,656 to the UNCF!
    Thank you for helping NT donate over $4,000 to Access Books!
    Thank you for helpingNikeTalk donate over $2,500 to UNICEF!
    Though the announcement posts have since been lost, we also donated $2,907 to Gawad Kalinga and $3,908 to Ettie LeeHomes.

Again, that's a total of over $93,000 ($93,372.60 to be exact.) We still have enough time to break $100,000 by our 10th anniversary - but we'llneed your help to get there.

Here are some additional updates regarding the End Dogfighting campaign I received today:

7. teflandon

teflandon

How do you collect funds to donate? From NTers?

8. 18th letter

18th letter

^ad revenue

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. mister916

mister916

Sweet. [​IMG]

10. that guy

that guy

Nice! Way to go NT.

11. sure lock 510

sure lock 510

we do work [​IMG]

12. certifiedsw

certifiedsw

Good job NT [​IMG]

13. kevmook

kevmook

dog fighting is so cruel; this is very moving!

14. josebronx

josebronx

[​IMG] NT

Ive seen what happens to those dogs in NYC [​IMG]

15. i am knowledge

i am knowledge

Meth, I appreciate this donation good sir. I know we've donated to a vast amount of charities, but this one caught me by surprise.

I know that revenue is collected through ads, and I have never had a problem with the ads until recently. Through NT's ads, my computer got infected withsome very annoying malware, and I resorted to using an ad blocker. I don't know if the problems with ads has been addressed yet, but I've seen recentcomplaints in the General forum. I want to get back to helping NT donate to charity, but I can't take off the adblocker until I'm 100 percent sure thatthis problem has been addressed. I'm sure you all have done all you can to address this issue, but I'm sure others have resorted to using adblockers aswell, and I think if we can regain confidence in the ads, we will be able to increase revenue. I would say PM me your response, but I'm sure that there aremany others who feel the same way I do, and they need to read the response as well.

Peace

16. lrrr

lrrr Banned

Is it safe to turn off my no-script yet? I really don't need a virus on this PC

17. kyrac2

kyrac2

[​IMG]

edit: thanks for the response meth

18. Methodical Management

19. ogmikey

ogmikey

An informative wall of text indeed. Thats a very interesting dilemma the community is faced with.

20. rexanglorum

rexanglorum

Methodman, why not bring back the old voluntary donation chest? It did generate a few thousand and that was before the charitable giving began. With morepeople and the understanding that donated money would go to various charities, we could hopefully expect a similar yield. I know that technically the moneyfirst has to go to running the site but since cash is fungible, every donated dollar is as good as donating to charity. Furthermore, with so many questionableand fraudulent charities out their, NT could essentially and in a costless manner (since the research and selections selections are already being made anyway,the marginal cost of directing an extra dollar is basically zero) become both the agent of aggregation and the escrow agent for those who want to contributebut who feel that their donation is too trivial (even in a recession many want to give even if the individual amounts are unimpressive and are too embarrassedto give anything in that case) and/or their knowledge of charities is too limited to make giving worth while to them.

By taking care of the information problems with charitable giving and considering the power of bringing together thousands of small donations we couldpotentially raise a lot more money and whether we raised an extra dime or an extra thousand per month, there could be virtually no extra costs in terms ofmoney or staff member time spent. I think that you could cajole and/or guilt people, especially those who use adblocking, to donate a few dollars.

Also, it would be good to consider making announcements regarding problems with the ads. Many have shied away from the ads after the viruses got spread (I hadno problems with that BTW) and even more so, after those loud ads came on a few weeks ago. I have not switched to ad blocker because I have been here for awhile and as soon as those annoying and intrusive ads appeared, I was confident that you and the rest of the staff would do something about it and do somethingquickly. I was right, those shrieking, fake pep filled ads are nooooooooooooooooooo more! Others are newer and/or not as patient and do not know thissite's reputation for taking care of its users and while I knew you would move quickly to deal with the problem, formally addressing some of the problems,could hopefully change the behavior of users, who are less familiar with the site and who assumed that NT was like a typical website. In other they might wellhave assumed that is consisted of enjoyable content that is protected by a shell of hideously invasive ads and administrators with an ambivalent, at best,regard for the site's users.

Doing that would hopefully bring a lot more eyeballs back on the screen and onto the ads and having an e-donation plate here in our e-church could very wellgenerate at least a few hundred dollars per month and with a good charity that does work in very poor regions of the World, a few dollars can obviously make avery big difference in the field of operation.

21. Methodical Management

22. joe cool23

joe cool23

23. maza4ever14

maza4ever14

Nice, as a responsible American Pit Bull Terrier owner, I applaud your choice to donate to, not to take away from the other places NT has donated to.

24. kash55

kash55

Nice...one of the reasons why I love NikeTalk