Thank you for helping NT donate over $4,000 to Access Books!

Maybe it will go to my school library. :wow:
eek.gif

DOWNTOWN MAGNETS HS 8)
glasses.gif

Quote:
actually, not really. consider that it only gives a small school 1/2 a library. then consider if this school is in a state with 1000's of schools. then consider that there are 50 states.
: julissa ortiz :

...it's already Pawis Central in my panty night now...

This warms my heart to no end, and what an EXCELLENT choice, Meth. Not just the decision on where to send the money, but the decision to put this whole thing in motion, man. A possibility of $50,000 donated over the next 12 months? C'mon, man ... that's freaking awesome, folks.
happy.gif
Again ... my highest respects for this decison.
happy.gif

I like the suggestion by JayGonnaBAight for the Children's Aid Society, and here's a breakdown (from their website) of how gifts are used:

how_gifts_used.gif

The only problem I have with them is that the percentage of money going into 'the real problem' seems to be pretty low, at only 55% (13% = Community Schools, 19% = Foster Care/ Adoption, 23% = Neighborhood Centers/ Camps). I wish that number were higher, but they still seem like a good organization.

And of course you can't go wrong with JayGonnaBAight's other suggestion: the American Cancer Society.

I haven't made any suggestions as of yet, but that's only because all of the organizations I'm involved in/have been involved in are Christian (like the Christian Children's Home of Ohio, various Christian homeless shelters, etc.), and I'm sure there would be a lot of hesitiation to donating to religious organizations.

However, I would like to suggest the following, bearing no religious/political ties: the Ettie Lee homes. I was in 4 of the Ettie Lee homes over the course of a decade, so that's how I know about them.

smile.gif

Sell me J-Rods (11/11.5) 4L8O15S16T23!42 Sell me J-Rods (11/11.5)​
My 5 teams: 1. ANGELS, 2. LAKERS (I grew up on Angels/Lakers games), 3. UK WILDCATS (my wife is from Kentucky), 4. TN TITANS (we married and started our lives together in Tennessee), 5. L.A. SPARKS (WNBA/Sparks fan since Day One). When my teams aren't playing, I'll always show love for these SoCal teams: L.A. CLIPPERS, S.D. PADRES, Anaheim DUCKS, USC TROJANS, S.D. CHARGERS, L.A. AVENGERS, L.A. DODGERS, U.C.L.A. BRUINS, L.A. KINGS, L.A. GALAXY. "This game is in the refrigerator! The door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's gettin hard, and the Jello's jigglin!" -Chick Hearn (R.I.P.)​

:smh:
smh.gif
:smh:
smh.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif

At thinkin' NT pay server fees.

The only fees niketalk is paying are the gold fees which is due every 6 months.

but i guess the donation is good, eh, atleast it's going to a lobbyist

Quote:
Meth - I'm just wondering how you arrived at this charity. I believe you live in Maryland. So how did you come about this charity in California?
Also, what's wrong with The Human Fund? It's people helping people.
Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America, which came out back in 2005. For those who haven't yet read it, I highly recommend it. It's a particularly important read given the upcoming Supreme Court cases on school integration efforts - which could permit an effective REVERSAL of Brown v. Board. (There's a march scheduled in DC on Dec. 4th, by the way, and I'll be posting more about that in the DC regional forum soon for those interested.)

I have been an admirer of Access Books since that time and I certainly had it, and many other charities, in mind when we developed the concept for NikeTalk as a fundraising organization. I may live on the opposite coast, but that really doesn't matter to me. I just want to see us utilize this unique opportunity to help wonderful organizations like Access Books perform their important work. The goal here isn't simply to give to those causes that DIRECTLY benefit us or those we know, but to support those causes working for genuine good.

As Samuel Johnson, whose words Dr. King so famously paraphrased, once wrote: "An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere."

Quote:
Meth, have you considered letting people know where you plan on donating a month a head of time?
Reason being, a certain charity may in fact stick out to a member who otherwise wouldn't click an ad.

The problem is, that works the other way, too. Someone can say to themselves, "Oh, this charity awards minority scholarships... I don't care about that. I'll wait until they pick one that I DO care about and THEN I'll click." What we're looking to do is to encourage our members to click regularly not just to support causes they care about, but to support causes important to their fellow members as well. We should all be working together.

We can't expect EVERYONE to be 100% thrilled with every single charity we select, but we certainly hope that everyone WILL be thrilled with at least one charity every few months. So, the goal is to have some of the skeptics say, "Ok, so this month's charity may go to help inner city schools in LA and I live in ________, but that's ok because it's a good cause, a lot of my fellow members DO care about it, and I know they'll choose something else next month."

We don't want it to be a simple matter of majority rule, because then minority interests would be overlooked. What we'd like is to make sure that we're all pulling for one another and working to increase our earnings EVERY MONTH, not just within those months when we select the most popular cause out there.

Quote:
The only fees niketalk is paying are the gold fees which is due every 6 months.
trying. We truly hope to improve as the months go by - and each one of you can help us accomplish this - but it should go without saying that if more individuals and organizations tried as hard as we have to use our resources in a positive and socially responsible way, this world would be a much better place.

You can tell me that we're capable of raising more money (and the extent to which that would HARM the community experience through pop-ups, interstitial ads, etc. is certainly a matter of debate) but at this point we can't possibly give a larger PERCENTAGE of our income than we're giving now.

Quote:
but i guess the donation is good, eh, atleast it's going to a lobbyist

Lobbyist? Not this nonsense again.... 90% of the money Access Books takes in goes straight to school libraries. Feel free to check up on them if you like. In doing so, I'm confident that you'll come away just as impressed with their operation as I am.

We'll choose a different charity next month, but personally speaking I'd love for our program to revisit Access Books perhaps a year or so from now once back to school time rolls around and help them supply a different library.

Ok, so let me get this straight. Whatever we don't spend on server fees goes to the charity?
TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

Quote:
Ok, so let me get this straight. Whatever we don't spend on server fees goes to the charity?

Everything we earn from advertising less ezboard costs is being donated to charity. Not one of our staff members has kept a penny for themselves.

is there still a way to donate?

i slept on this (not on purpose)

break it, shake it, bake it, then you cruise it. treat it like those whiteys at nike and just do it
blah blah blah ninja blah blah blah fam blah blah blah doggie blah blah blah ya dig? -- Uginius

gotcha. thanks, that's a lot of clicking though.

i'm willing to donate a bit of cash if it's still open

break it, shake it, bake it, then you cruise it. treat it like those whiteys at nike and just do it
blah blah blah ninja blah blah blah fam blah blah blah doggie blah blah blah ya dig? -- Uginius

Quote:
Founded by Dr. Rebecca Constantino, Access Books supplies underfunded inner city school libraries in the Los Angeles area. To date, they've provided these libraries with over 1,000,000 books.
:pimp:
pimp.gif
~ I'm The Greatest
I Get Em' For The "R.Kelly" - 17 A Chick.

Quote:
is there still a way to donate?
www.accessbooks.netwww.amazon.com/exec/obido...ccessbooks

By using their amazon link, 5% of your purchase price will benefit Access Books. Obviously direct donations yield the maximum results, but if you'd planned on making a purchase on amazon.com anyway it's a wonderful bonus.

The point here isn't to make sure that NikeTalk gets credit for every single cent donated, we just want to help raise as much money as possible for this charity.

thanks man, i appreciate it

it's a great thing. props for the idea

Quote:
Everything we earn from advertising less ezboard costs is being donated to charity. Not one of our staff members has kept a penny for themselves.
ed feeling... what? what I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?

[/table][/center]

^^^ Wait ... where on earth can you get a decent haircut for $4, because I need to live there. lol
Sell me J-Rods (11/11.5) 4L8O15S16T23!42 Sell me J-Rods (11/11.5)​
My 5 teams: 1. ANGELS, 2. LAKERS (I grew up on Angels/Lakers games), 3. UK WILDCATS (my wife is from Kentucky), 4. TN TITANS (we married and started our lives together in Tennessee), 5. L.A. SPARKS (WNBA/Sparks fan since Day One). When my teams aren't playing, I'll always show love for these SoCal teams: L.A. CLIPPERS, S.D. PADRES, Anaheim DUCKS, USC TROJANS, S.D. CHARGERS, L.A. AVENGERS, L.A. DODGERS, U.C.L.A. BRUINS, L.A. KINGS, L.A. GALAXY. "This game is in the refrigerator! The door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's gettin hard, and the Jello's jigglin!" -Chick Hearn (R.I.P.)​

Just imagine. For those of you who had nervous breakdowns, you would have gladly paid a Kings Ransom for access to NT.

Yet for everyone who pays $12 a year or less... donating $1 a person for the entire membership of NT and or it's viewers, there would be vast Charities helped each month, because I know if figures like that would be raised Meth would have no problem having EZBoard divy up the checks.

I wish we could create a contest among ALL Forums, not just the Regional one's but Sneaker Art, Sports & Training and General and everything in between to see who can raise the most money in a month's time.

At the end of the Contest, There would be several Charities to donate money to. Of course there would still be those who would complain, but each forum could be given several choices to vote on where to donate to.

Just a thought for down the road, but not really sure how we could do it. Via Paypal...via EZ Board and their ability to see which forums get what clicks.. or what...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Nike/Brand Jordan
You know what Rolls Down Hill Don't You?
Who Will You Call When "They" Make More than You?
The Fake Police ?

Meth, I don't have any specific charities in mind, but you think we could get a donation out in time for Thanksgiving?

TEAM GRAMMAR POLICE
4L8O15S16T23!42
they tryin to catch me riding dirtylicious
I am the Kobe Stopper
iniTiaL x R, good luck with your cousin. PM me some day with what happened.​

Quote:
Meth, I don't have any specific charities in mind, but you think we could get a donation out in time for Thanksgiving?

We already have a charity in mind and we are shooting for a donation to be made and announced before Thanksgiving.

Keep those clicks coming!

Meth, maybe u addressed this before and I missed it, but how does a person with EZsupporter click ads? the only time I can click them is if I log off, is there a different way or is this the only process?

The Real Talk Of New York is on it Again
I Come Wit Da 9 & Be Gone Wit a 10
JayGunnA Status: Banned
BossTalk status: Unfairly Banned

Back
Top Bottom