Thank you for helping NT donate over $4,000 to Access Books!

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
Thanks to your views and, most importantly, your clicks, NikeTalk managed to raise $4,116 during the month of September!

The full amount has been donated to one of my favorite charities: Access Books. Founded by Dr. Rebecca Constantino, Access Books supplies underfunded inner city school libraries in the Los Angeles area. To date, they've provided these libraries with over 1,000,000 books.

In anticipation of our donation, I contacted Dr. Constantino and asked her to estimate the type of impact that our $4,116 would be able to make. As it turns out, our donation will fill roughly one-half of a small school library or around one-third of a larger library. We hope to hear back from Dr. Constantino later on to determine exactly WHICH library our donation has helped furnish.

If you'd like to get involved, there are many ways to help:

You can send your new or gently used children's books and/or educational magazines to:

ACCESS BOOKS
3625 Empire Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90034

If you'd like to donate money, visit www.accessbooks.net.

If you'd like to donate your time, you can volunteer to help re-paint school libraries in the LA area. Check this link for their event calendar:

http://www.accessbooks.net/happening_calendar.html

Thanks to everyone whose views and ESPECIALLY clicks made this donation possible. Let's make October's donation even greater!

Feel free to share your favorite charities with us in this post. Each month, we'll select a different charity and, over time, we expect our list of supported charities to reflect the diversity that so strengthens and characterizes our community.

check2.gif

UPDATE:

I recently received a thank you letter from Access Books, and since YOU are truly the ones responsible for this donation, I thought I'd pass it along.

letter2.gif

great job as always Meth; this is actually something on NT that is good. makes you think bout all the people *****ing "i didn't get the grapes; quality is crap, etc...."; their lucky to even have the oppotunity to get brand name stuff; most don't. actually, it would be kinda cool in the next charity choice would be one that gave clothes and stuff to the underprivliged children

^ CelticsPride34, that's a good idea. I wonder if we could get it in time for Christmas? Maybe supply shoes to kids?

Anyway, this is good to see. I feel like we could be generating even more money (now I'm getting greedy), but $4000 is very impressive.

EAM GRAMMAR POLICE
4L8O15S16T23!42
they tryin to catch me riding licious
I am the Kobe Stopper
, good luck with your cousin. PM me some day with what happened.​

Quote:
$4000 is very impressive.

actually, not really. consider that it only gives a small school 1/2 a library. then consider if this school is in a state with 1000's of schools. then consider that there are 50 states. nevertheless, i hope whatever school gets it enjoy the books, and actually read the, and learn the english language, which is becoming more and more apparent these days that many don't. and i'm not talking slang either, i mean could speek english with ease if they had a job interview or omething to the nature

Great job to everyone here on NT. This is a great thing were doing and we should all be proud as a whole.

Lets always set the mark higher each month.

Im really glad to be apart of this and have my favorite site be well represented :pimp:
pimp.gif

The Supreme Ruler of the Metaphoric Kingdom
I CAN STILL GET YOU VAGINA!!
LOL YEAH REAL (()). I am not a pimp. I SWEAR

Wow, great job guys. Makes me feel kind of guilty for using me ezsupporter and not clicking the ads :\.
Formally known as gswarriorsnum1

Quote:
actually, not really.

i'm comparing the $4000 to $0, so it's infinitely more.

i realize that it doesn't break down to much per person, but this is money from nothing. plus, it covers the ezboard hosting costs.

method man can comment more, but as we get better-targeted ads, this number should go up.

EAM GRAMMAR POLICE
4L8O15S16T23!42
I am the Kobe Stopper

I'm curious; how is all this money raised? Is it through all the advertisements I see, now? Thanks for reporting the impact of the funds. Often times, donations are donated blindly to a popular charity and those donating are told their money will be put to 'good use,' whatever that means. Thanks for the update.

Quote:
i realize that it doesn't break down to much per person, but this is money from nothing. plus, it covers the ezboard hosting costs.

Exactly. How much did other sneaker sites raise for charity this month? How much did all those hits to myspace help? (Sorry, helping fund Rupert Murdoch's propaganda machine doesn't count as charitable.)

We need advertising simply to continue providing you with NikeTalk - but we feel it can and should serve a greater purpose beyond that. Granted, it doesn't have to be that way.

We've got around 20 or so active staff members, we could've just split it up and given each one $200. What's better: to see the results of our advertising in an inner city school library brimming with hundreds of new books to help enrich the lives of youngsters - or to see the results of our advertising in the monthly pickup post?

These schools need books a hell of a lot more than I need a new pair of Foamposites.

Yes, we can improve our output - and YOU can help. Our click through rates are still very low and our views are actually DOWN from a year ago (this is the first year that's ever happened.) Of course we're looking to obtain higher yielding advertisements for the site, but we're also mindful of the types of advertisements that are placed here. We've already had to ask ezboard to pull a couple of ad campaigns from the site, simply because we didn't believe the sponsor was appropriate for our community.

At the end of the day, though, you can either HOPE that we'll receive better sponsors - or you can HELP us generate more money by increasing your level of participation.

There are sites like www.thehungersite.com that allow you to donate one cup of staple food each day simply by clicking once on a link. Our users can adopt that same mentality here and, by clicking on a few links as we browse, we can dramatically improve our donations - and just imagine what could happen if some of you decided to contribute books or money of your own to this cause. We could go from filling one-half or one-third of a library to fully supplying an entire inner city school library.

It's really up to you. As a community, we're going to get out of this what we choose to put into it.

^ Just curious, do you mind telling how much money is generated per ad click?

EAM GRAMMAR POLICE
4L8O15S16T23!42
I am the Kobe Stopper

Quote:
Just curious, do you mind telling how much money is generated per ad click?
At this point, I honestly couldn't tell you because we receive ads from a variety of different providers and some simply yield more than others. For example: if you see one of those "public service announcements," that's essentially unsold inventory and those ads won't produce anything. As a general rule of thumb, the graphic ads are worth the most and the text based links are worth the least. CPC varies from one campaign to the next. Each click may only generate a few cents but clearly it DOES add up: the $4,116 we raised this month stands as testament to that. Clicks are worth MUCH more than simple impressions. If everyone could click on just a couple of ads per day, we'd be multiplying our returns.

Quote:
Is it through all the advertisements I see, now? Thanks for reporting the impact of the funds.

Yes, all $4,116 were raised through our advertising - and this represents every penny we at NikeTalk earned. Not one penny has crossed our palms. As you can see, the check was sent DIRECTLY from ezboard to Access Books. I only received a copy to share with you and keep for my own records.

Quote:
Often times, donations are donated blindly to a popular charity and those donating are told their money will be put to 'good use,' whatever that means. Thanks for the update.

This is an excellent point and it's something that's troubled me about many of the ostensibly philanthropic efforts extended by other entities within the sneaker world. Some of these trendy little boutique stores, for example, will pull strings with their chums at huge sneaker companies to get a store exclusive, which they then milk the beejeezus out of. You know the type: buy a cheesy $35 screenprinted t-shirt to get a raffle ticket to win the right to buy a paddle to bid on a shoe at a special auction. Oh, but the saving grace is: some of the money goes "to charity." Which one? The Human Fund? They're not saying.

Well, at least for SOME of us, the destination DOES make a difference. We're trying our best to support worthy, reputable charities our members can feel proud of and, each month, you'll know exactly where the money is going. It's our goal not just to SUPPORT these charities, but to help raise awareness as well.

On behalf of Los Angeles, Thank you. It is very generous for you to direct a month's worth of revenue to on particular metro area so thank you for making it ours.

I think I'll take you up on your suggest to donate books, I have a lot of good books and educational magazines that I read, as a kid, in good condition, stored in my home. I'll probably just take them down there myself.

AIM Roy Anglais

Is there a way we can encourage more clicking? Perhaps have some users dedicate some time to clicking? Would this have any effect on revenue generated? I mean, as I see it, that's basically minimal effort for a comparatively large payoff.
AIM: marktomez​

Maybe we can make some "official" posts dedicated to clicking the ads.
April 23 1848
Rebecca died of typhoid.

EVERYONE IN YOUR PARTY HAS DIED. MANY WAGONS FAIL TO MAKE IT ALL THE WAY TO OREGON. DO YOU WANT TO WRITE YOUR EPITAPH?

If we can do this every month, then growing so big we need advertising is the best thing that happened to NT.

Actually helping needy lives > message boards
is not worth your time to go there.

I tried getting on last night and it said I was banned. I almost cried.

Great to hear, Meth. It's nice to see that those annoying ads are beneficial in more ways than one.

Quote:
Oh ya, just wondering, don't you need to pay for the server so wouldn't some of that $4,116 go towards that?

You saw the check for yourself. The $4,116 was OUR share of the money. Ezboard's hosting fees were already deducted.

Had we NOT chosen to donate the money, they simply would've sent me that same amount instead. For the sake of efficiency, I'd rather have ezboard donate our share DIRECTLY to the charity of our choice rather than wait for their check and then disburse it myself.

Quote:
did the cpanel thing raise the 4k?

I'm guessing this was a joke but, no, that was an unfortunate side effect of utilizing an off-site host for an emoticon. I've since hosted that particular emoticon myself to ensure that the problem won't happen again.

Quote:
Perhaps have some users dedicate some time to clicking? Would this have any effect on revenue generated?

The more clicks the better, but most advertising providers guard against abuse (programs designed to click ads etc.) One person clicking the same ad 50 times isn't helpful, but if each person could click each different ad just ONCE I believe that would make a world of difference. Clicks are worth several times the amount we receive for passive impressions. So, if you really want to make your presence felt you should make a conscious effort to click the ads.

Of course, even if you clicked 500 ads in a month, obviously you can make an even GREATER impact by supporting charities directly - and that's part of what we're trying to encourage. NT's donations can allow you to contribute to worthy causes at no personal charge, but if you are willing to spare some extra money or, in this case, children's books, that would be ideal.

For example, many of you spend $12 a year on ezsupporter - and this prevents you from viewing ads. Instead, you may want to think about allowing that to expire - as I have - and then donate that $12 instead. There are certainly people in this world who need it more than Nike or ezboard.

If you're one of many who are becoming increasingly disatisfied with the quality of retro shoes, just imagine how much MORE useful that $175 could be if used to help protect, educate, and nourish children or help organizations fight for a more equitable society. There are many ways to help. You can always choose to get directly involved, but you also have the option of putting your money to work as well and we'd be absolutely thrilled if our example serves to help lead any one of you down this path.

Quote:
If we can do this every month, then growing so big we need advertising is the best thing that happened to NT.

We can and we will. We should be on pace to raise over $50,000 for various charities in the next 12 months - but with your support we can raise far more than that. This is just the beginning.

That may not seem like an impressive sum, but remember that we're building something out of nothing here. We may not be able to donate as much as a billion dollar coporation, but we're proud to say that we've been donating 100% of our earnings to charity.

I suggest people to actually click some ads from time to time considering it only takes three seconds and a movement of your index finger. it's even less energy than pressing a button considering it doesn't require as much pressure as the average button needs to be pressed.

even though it is this easy, some people still find it too hard or too time consuming. pathetic.

Niketalk is a great way to kill time, show your appreciation.

*click*

I wonder how much myspace makes in a month for ads?? I just need one month from them and i'm good to go!!
[/i]
[/b]​

Great idea. I don't mind seeing and clicking on a couple ads if it goes toward something positive.

Back
Top Bottom