The 10 Most Expensive Places to Raise a Family in the United States

nazdrowie nazdrowie Thanks for sharing that information from the GSA for the pros and cons about the different FBI locations.

Also, since folks are talking about grocery stores...DC is getting a Whole Foods near Nats Ballpark and a Trader Joe's across from Eastern Market on 7th Street SE......or Capitol Hill area as they would say.

Greenbelt is def the best. Seems like they would have to fight the tree huggers somewhat.

nazdrowie nazdrowie Thanks for sharing that information from the GSA for the pros and cons about the different FBI locations.

Also, since folks are talking about grocery stores...DC is getting a Whole Foods near Nats Ballpark and a Trader Joe's across from Eastern Market on 7th Street SE......or Capitol Hill area as they would say.

I heard about that....

A lot of residents aren't happy w/ the TJs and WF's coming in because of the gentrification angle.

I just moved to Nassau County. Housing is affordable. It's those taxes fam.

Yea man, I'm about to get squeezed up outta here.

My taxes are close to $15k a year here in Merrick.

3 bed 3 bath house built in 1930, lot size is 60'x100'

Last edited:
Having grew up in CT i can assure you there's more poor than rich but the sad part is the economic divide is SO GRAND it puts a damper on the beauty of the state. Also CT taxes are among the highest, although the Greenwich houses are SICK and the cars that get on the merritt parkway at night are awesome.

Been in NYC tho for 14 years and its astonishing how "reasonable" rent was back then (big 1BRs in Harlem - where i live currently - were $800) Now they are double the price. There is a serious rent crisis happening in NYC that is changing the NYC appeal and its staying power to people who grew up here vs people who just came.

My ex lives in DC and has a very very nice place there but i never realized how expensive it was until she told me how much every thing is. And she makes GREAT money. 

Guess its just the times. Although i feel like smaller cities are going to become the destinations for middle class because of the cost of living and in this day and age where brick and mortar stores are taking a nose dive and internet sales are up, its hard to justify living somewhere that has "all the sights" when people can just visit.

What you said about CT is def true, the disparity is crazy

What you said bout NYC is true

But like I said I love NYC and CT is close to it but not as bad as livin in the City

Gonn enjoy this for like 2 more years I assume before I look into GA or FL

I lived in Nassau county - highest taxes ever.
Now in Rockland country which is somewhat better.
New York is crazy gentrification and transplants turning NY into Dubai.

Last edited:
I lived in Nassau county - highest taxes ever.
Now in Rockland country which is somewhat better.
New York is crazy gentrification and transplants turning NY into Dubai.

My boy a former turbo tax boy, scammer and drug dealer an even he couldn't keep up with Hempstead anymore. :smh:

SMH NY ain't for New Yorkers anymore and its terrible. its amazing a city that was already raking money in hand over fist is forcing people out.

old article but apparently this is what the development of the fbi greenbelt site may look like...
[h2]If the FBI moves to Greenbelt, here's what it will look like[/h2]
by Dan Malouff    •   July 31, 2014

The FBI is considering moving its headquarters  from downtown Washington to either Greenbelt, Landover, or Springfield. If it goes to Greenbelt, here's  what the development will look like:

View media item 1870321View media item 1870323
Under this plan, a new mixed-use transit-oriented development would replace the parking lot at the Greenbelt Metro station. The FBI would occupy the five buildings on the bottom of the rendering, with other offices, apartments, retail, and a hotel taking up the rest.

Greenbelt Metro station is located in the upper left side the rendering, immediately behind the building that looks like a "6" digit tipped on its side. To the right of that building, a central plaza would be the area's main public space, and one of Prince George's most urban spots.

The Metro's existing entrance  is immediately behind the "6" building. It would be nice if a new Metro entrance would line up directly with the plaza, though it looks more like a short walkway behind the building will connect the station to the plaza.

Since Greenbelt is an end-of-line station, the development replaces all the Metro commuter parking. But instead of surface parking lots, it would go in a new parking garage shown on the far left of the overview rendering, connected to the station with a wide, suburban-style street. 

Clustering mixed-use development next to the Metro station and putting the FBI buildings and park-and-rides across the street makes a lot of sense. That layout provides a parking lot for commuters and gives the FBI the space it wants for a buffer  without sacrificing the walkability of the entire neighborhood. 

Meanwhile, FBI workers who don't commute via Metro would use the parking garage on the far right, next to the Beltway.

Overall, this looks like a decent plan. There are a lot of less than ideal trade-offs, but given the demands of an end-line station and the FBI, it's not terrible.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org...es-to-greenbelt-heres-what-it-will-look-like/

word is jamaica queens slated to be the new hotspot for lux apts and condos :nerd: :nerd:

This is a fact

Word is that they're building a new development right on Archer/Merrick area

Bronx is on the comeup too

KIR by like 2030 all of NYC will be like this. It's crazy how fast it's happening

Still amazes me livening in bed stuy and see all the whites just chillin in the hood :lol: quite a scene man

Last edited:
the key to "affordability" i think is to move a bit further away from the subway. there are spots in astoria that are still affordable cuz u gotta hit a bus to grab that N or w.e...same thing with queens. more inland away from that E and F where you depend on the bus to get you to those trains (if u need to get to the city) is gonna translate to better bang for the buck. you may need a car, but on street parking will be gravy.

i am interested to see how jamaica changes. for me its been black/west indian my whole life. and the city neglects jamaica ave like there is no 2mrw. that street is worse than whatever the taliban are used to driving on.

prolly some old threads on this, but what do you guys think is the better alternative to gentrification? or rather, a solution to the negative impacts it can have on the lower income communities?

Last edited:
I left Queens in late 08 after I joined the Air Force. I don't ever see myself coming back permanently. The cost of living is just too high. My family wants me to come back but I had to tell my mom over the holidays that the only way I would even consider it is if I was pulling 6 figures. I was in Hampton Roads, VA for the past 6 years and I liked being able to live comfortably and still put money away in savings. I had a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house that was only costing me $1600 monthly. You aren't getting that anywhere in NYC right now, period. So many of my friends just don't realize they're caught up in the hamster wheel right now with no end in sight. I can't do it. Not after seeing how much more I can get for my money elsewhere.

I left Queens in late 08 after I joined the Air Force. I don't ever see myself coming back permanently. The cost of living is just too high. My family wants me to come back but I had to tell my mom over the holidays that the only way I would even consider it is if I was pulling 6 figures. I was in Hampton Roads, VA for the past 6 years and I liked being able to live comfortably and still put money away in savings. I had a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house that was only costing me $1600 monthly. You aren't getting that anywhere in NYC right now, period. So many of my friends just don't realize they're caught up in the hamster wheel right now with no end in sight. I can't do it. Not after seeing how much more I can get for my money elsewhere.

i cant hate on this, tho i cant see myself living balls deep in the burbs...at least not anytime soon. my boy just came back to the city from living in dallas for 2 years and he strongly feels that is where he may end up settling since the power of the dollar is much stronger there than in nyc, word to 50

This is a fact

The "Piano District" is a direct smack to any Bronx resident, dudes got a ton of heat when they threw some art expo down there and didn't allow the very residents to attend....I was talking to my wife and when you think raw NYC the only place still holding that essence IS the Bronx....NYC has been extremely watered down, not to say that's all negative, but in its own right having grown up here is a little sad.

I know the Heights has sort of become the laughing stock of NT over the years, but is legit the only neighborhood that's cleaned up a lot without losing its culture, yeah there is far more diversity walking around these days, rent has also shot up, but the area is still VERY Latino/Dominican....can't help but feel proud...even though 90% of the business while owned by Dominicans are a product of dirty money.

Last edited:
word is jamaica queens slated to be the new hotspot for lux apts and condos :nerd: :nerd:

This is a fact

KIR by like 2030 all of NYC will be like this. It's crazy how fast it's happening

Still amazes me livening in bed stuy and see all the whites just chillin in the hood :lol: quite a scene man

All of this.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, we now have white people in Saint Albans. I remember when I was there it was all Caribbean and black a little latino, but the only white people there were very old and very few.

I'm cool livin in Philly at the moment. But make no mistake about it, gentrification is happening here as well. But it's still affordable to live comfortable out here. I can't complain, I'm not far from DC, NYC, or the shore in the event I wanna travel and do something. But being originally from NYC (The Bronx in particular) and going back to see Fam and friends so often, the allure of moving back has lost it's luster to me. NYC ain't what it used to be. Philly is on the comeup.

Back
Top Bottom