MODS PLEASE LOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I just finished reading Vic’s take on the locker room problems this season :smh: definitely leadership problems all season.

I’ll post it in here as soon as I can.

This wasn't just about Del Rio and won't just be fixed by Gruden — the Raiders have major leadership issues

GettyImages-900113696-1024x683.jpg

By Vic Tafur 1 hour ago
save-icon@2x.png

People will point to his bad decisions regarding the coordinators last offseason, the offense’s collapse and a disconnect with the front office on the usage of the team’s recent draft picks. And those are all reasons why Jack Del Rio’s Raiders went 6-10 and why he was fired Sunday night.

But one just had to look around the locker room after the game Sunday to see there was more to it than that. Some players reacted as if the postgame spread wasn't tasty or the shower water was too cold. Some joked about other things. Others stared blankly.

There was no personal investment … Del Rio had lost the locker room. Or more to the point, the players in the locker room had lost their way.

And that comes down on the Raiders leaders. Or lack thereof.

There weren’t any leaders this season.

“We had a good bunch of guys in the locker room,” one player said Monday, “but I think it was more about having a good time than doing everything it took to win.”

Derek Carr and Khalil Mack are the foundations of the team, a franchise quarterback who had seven fourth-quarter wins in 2016 and the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

“It is our team,” Carr said after he and Mack met with Del Rio after he was fired. “There is no secret about that. It is Khalil’s and my team.”

But Carr can have a hard time being critical of players who sometimes beat to their own drummer. Mack is a lead-by-example type who is not yet comfortable calling guys out like his mentors Justin Tuck and Charles Woodson did when they were in the locker room.

“There is talent here,” one player said. “But there was no direction here. Some of us thought they were going to clean house. Then they fired coach Del Rio. I guess that means they are going to keep us around.”

Linebacker Bruce Irvin had a rough individual start to the season and kind of went in a shell. Former 49er NaVorro Bowman showed up Week 7 and said he planned to be a leader, but a little more than a month later, he essentially threw up his hands.

The younger players had picked up bad habits, and when asked if it was too late to get them straightened out, Bowman said, “I don’t know, I just got here.”

Worse than the Raiders losing their top two drafts picks to injuries was the impression that cornerback Gareon Conley and Obi Melifonwu made on teammates.

“I am not sure if anyone here knows if they really want it,” one player said.

Meanwhile, the assistant coaches were told Monday that they can look for new jobs, as things are on hold until the team satisfies the Rooney Rule by interviewing at least one minority candidate and coach-to-be Jon Gruden calls his last game as a broadcaster Saturday.

One coach still had a hard time figuring out how this season turned so quickly Week 3 at Washington. The Raiders got pushed around, losing 27-10, then lost three more games in a row and were never the same.

“Our quarterback lost his poise that game, and there was nobody to gather the troops and get them ready to get keep fighting,” one coach said. “We just kind of took it.

“The coaches are responsible for a lot that happens, but they can’t go in the huddle.”

Many internet pundits and talk-show air stealers had the theory that offensive line’s decision to sit during the national anthem in Washington and Carr’s decision to stand had a long-lasting effect, complete with animosity. That is not true, but the decision to stand or not stand as a team was a hotly debated one in the locker room, and one that a leader like Woodson would have helped sort out.

Running back Marshawn Lynch sat during the anthem every week, though he never said why. Del Rio didn’t fight him on this, and he didn’t fight Lynch on much at training camp or practice, and the two sets of rules were something a lot of players rolled their eyes at.

The coaching staff was hoping left tackle Donald Penn, a friend of Lynch’s, would help him get adjusted at training camp, but Penn held out in a contract dispute. Lynch participated in practice every day, but he made sure to walk over and chat up his personal video team during sessions.

Lynch also had a good time making fun of Carr, who enjoyed the interaction though perhaps wondered if it down cut a tiny bit on his respect in the locker room.

“There were a lot of distractions at camp, but everyone just figured it would work itself out,” a player said. “Then the Washington game happened, and we lost our confidence.”

Carr had a serious back injury the following week and came back in nine days. He looked uncomfortable in the pocket after that, and teammates lost a little bit of their faith in him.

Carr taking the blame every week didn’t help things. But that was his only move, especially with aloof receivers Michael Crabtree and Amari Cooper dropping passes and making Carr's bad season even worse.

Carr said it’s in the details, and that’s something that he and all the players have to work on. One of those details is having a player or two who not only tells teammates where to go or what to do, but when to dig deeper.

“We weren’t demanding and accountable enough and that will change,” Carr said.

Gruden — as all indications are he is the new coach — should bring in some veterans next season to make sure.

—Reported from Alameda

What's crazy is that from afar you can totally see all that playout through the course of the season.

Literally from training camp to the firing of JDR.

We definitely need a Gruden or Jim type for this team right now. Rich wanted to fight Crab yesterday.

One of the most interesting things to me was the bit about Conley and Obi.
Very talented players but not surprising that they have that rep in the locker room.
We have to hope that they're not actually like this & it was just a freak injury season for both of them.

One thing is forsure, Reggie Nelson isn't the type of leader C-Wood was.
Obi & Conley are the keys to our secondary going forward. We can't win if they are immature and have their heart questioned by guys in the locker room.
It is fair to say that this was a freak year with the injuries, but if they don't perform next year, it's bad.

Also, we all could tell Mack is quiet but he needs to become a more vocal & demanding leader. He's the guy everyone on defense should look up to for fire.
He needs to become more vocal for the sake of the team. One example: It annoys me that he gets held damn near every play and never complains. I remember reading something to the effect of he doesn't like to complain but my dude, you have to speak the **** up and get in the refs ear. idk that **** just annoys me.

Another interesting bit was the Carr/Lynch relationship and the stuff about Lynch in general.
Listen man, I'd love to see Lynch win a superbowl in Oakland but if Carr is uncomfortable with their relationship and the fact that Lynch is always cracking jokes on him, I highly doubt Lynch is back next year. The part about him having his camera crew around is bs too and makes me think the players look at Lynch some type of way. I LOVE Marshawn but it seems like he might not be worth the headache.

do yall think Crab really pulled himself out of the game?

Gannon put it on him but Crab said he wasn't in the game plan.

All season I noticed players being on the sideline after having a big play

Given what Gannon said about Crabtree, I would assume he's played his last snap as a Raider.

Last edited:
the lynch/carr thing is interesting, they always seemed friendly on the sidelines

I think they get along fine, but with Lynch doing that and coupling it with his affairs outside of football and not being held accountable by Jack it’s naturally going to engender resentment among the players.

Someone had told me that Carr/Lynch had a mini beef after first Charger game in Early October. Carr had said something to say Lynch about that INT he threw because it hit Lynch in hands.

I want Derwin James or Roquan Smith in the 1st.

With crabtree being cut, I could see them going after Ridley in the 1st too or finally drafting a WR in the 2nd round.

I like Courtland Sutton a little more than Ridley.

I’ve always liked Marshawn Lynch, but the 2 squirmishes that happened with the broncos and chiefs and he came to the aid of the opposite team I didn’t like.
I get Peters is his cousin but if Peters is piping down, he should handle his own thing

What's crazy is that from afar you can totally see all that playout through the course of the season.

Literally from training camp to the firing of JDR.

Navaro Bowman's quote is pretty telling. Then again Bruce Irving said it in Week 03 that the locker room was funky and no one seemed to care then.
Too many new faces in Oakland. Too many distractions. Again someone said it before the season started and no one seemed to care then. Labelled as too pessimistic.
Too many people riding and banking on the culture and not putting in the work to win. Big names big checks zero production.
But now everyone cares? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I like Lynch, I have questioned his ability to mesh well with the rather up tight Carr. I mean the season is over now, no point in dwelling on it. Just look forward I guess. We desperately need a strict HC. Whether it be Harbaugh or Gruden, our next HC needs to hold players accountable. That’s why I mentioned benching earlier in the season, but I got torched for it.

Winning solves and heals everything. if in the playoffs no one cares. But because of such a disappointing season everyone wants to point the finger and not the thumb. Then there's dudes like Carr who just wants to point the thumb and use "we" language. Him and Mack need to step up and start cussing players out and calling them out. Behind closed doors of course, I don't want to hear or know about it until after the season or way after the fact.

Also, I just got my cousin's son a package of raider gear. He loves it. Wanted to wear it right away. Jimmy G that you a-hole. RRRAIIIIDDDERRRS

He actually had Carr throwing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom