2024 NBA Draft Thread

Trae
Huerter/Reddish
Culver (I'd probably look to deal Taurean Prince)
Collins
???

Not bad.

Although, a 5 is of dire importance with Len being a FA (and not a long term solution) and Collins not being a great defender. Not sure if there's a 5 in this draft worth taking @ 5-7 tho.

Most think Hayes is a top 10 talent but I wouldn't go anywhere that. Bol could be interesting/comedic

Tank-a-thon's tier rankings

screenshot-www-tankathon-com-2019-03-25-19-37-29.png
What is Tankathon?

I’ll never understand how anyone watched Thabeet during his UConn career and thought he should be picked remotely as high as he was. I’m a UConn fan. Never saw it with him at the next level.

It was a time in the NBA where the big man still mattered. His defensive impact was crazy at UConn. Plus he could hit a jumper.

Dont see a 22 year old ever being draft top 3 today though.

It was a time in the NBA where the big man still mattered. His defensive impact was crazy at UConn. Plus he could hit a jumper.

Dont see a 22 year old ever being draft top 3 today though.
He just camped in the paint and waited for the defense to funnel players to him. Yes, he was a very good shot blocker as long as he literally didn’t have to move whatsoever.

He didn’t move fluidly, at all. At the time he was drafted, the best defensive bigs in the league were KG, Timmy, and Dwight. Thabeet wasn’t remotely close to the athlete that any of those guys were.

Didnt really have to be an athlete or mobile. The Mutombo comparisons were too easy :lol:

League was desperate for the next great shot blocker.

Oh, we can throw it back with UConn history. Ray Allen, “Rip” Hamilton, El-Amin, Ben Gordon. More recently with Marcus Williams, Josh Boone, Jeremy Lamb.

For me:
Zion
Ja
Culver
Garland
Cam
Barrett

While on the subject of defense, how good can Brandon Clarke be in the league? At least rich man’s Jordan Bell.

I think there were trade rumors with Prince around the trade deadline. He's eligible for an extension this summer.

Is Cam that high based off reputation now? Like if we don't look at ranking coming into this year and just start fresh, would he even be in this convo?

All the signs point to Cam not being a good player. He's a likeable kid and people seemed to jump on his "potential" from day 1.

I dont like him at the next level.

Is Cam that high based off reputation now? Like if we don't look at ranking coming into this year and just start fresh, would he even be in this convo?

Take the name away from his numbers. Is his production worthy of a top 3-4 selection?

Take the name away from his numbers. Is his production worthy of a top 3-4 selection?

Y’all can say this about a ton of players years prior to this draft :lol:

Reddish is a freak athlete who’s hit some of the most clutch shots out of anyone in college ball this year..

He could very much end up being better than Culver

He looks a total mess at the rim a lot. Takes off too far, overshoots layups at times, I didn't know the number at all but some of attempts at the rim can at best be classified as ambitious, with no chance in hell of going in.

The Rondo / Murant comp from that vid was one that didn't cross my mind but it's reallyyyy good

- The Westbrook one is lazy. I don't think he's the functional athlete people think he is. He's not nearly as explosive off one leg, and his small frame makes him throw up some bad stuff around the rim. Doesn't have the baseline to baseline speed of Fox.nEssentially, he's not the athlete of a Westbrook, Fox, or Wall. For every time he punches on someone, there's like 5 others where he's being extra slithery to go around guys.

- Saw some Trae Young comps for him which seems ridiculous to me. It's lazy and based on them both simply being ablate pass w/both hands well. Trae's a better passer in traffic, w/a tigher handle and maybe a generational shooter. (The Hawks have played 75 games or so...the last 57 he's shooting 38% on 3's, most of which are like pull ups / off the dribble from 30 plus feet. Morant is a terrible shooter off the dribble)

The rondo comp works though. Even a more athletic Rubio. Rondo at Ja's age was an athlete, doing a lot of what Ja is doing now. (Some of Rondo's dunks in the playoffs give you a peak into this as well) Was also the sophisticated passer that Ja is. Same kind of slithery feel. Same slow, methodical approach to PnR. He's w/o a doubt the 2nd best prospect in this draft, but him being so far away as a shooter / scorer from all 3 levels makes me wonder if you're projecting "star" from him.

Last edited:
This is where I’m hoping Zion lands.

Would be perfect for him. Cause I think if you put him on a team where you’re asking him to be LeBron and be your top scorer every night in the NBA then you’re not going to get the results you want.

I know I'm a huge Trae guy, but you couldn't be more right. Dedmon's having a career year, Alex Len career year, Vince Carter is making 41% of his 3's and getting 4 attempts a game, John Collins already is a 20 ppg scorer off of just being a great roller (and floor spacer too, but that's another story). None of these guys create offense, so how's this happening?

You really can't understate why Zion would be perfect in Atlanta. Trae / Zion spread PnR w/Collins Huerter and player x spreading the floor = money.

All the signs point to Cam not being a good player. He's a likeable kid and people seemed to jump on his "potential" from day 1.

I dont like him at the next level.

Basketball for wings and guards is pretty simple today. How good / advanced are you at passing/shooting/dribbling. Your instincts relative to these things tells you a lot about a guy's pro potential.

Cam can't shoot / score well, has no instincts as a passer, and can't dribble. The mistake that IMO folks make when evaluating prospects is assuming that these things can be dramatically fixed, and that's not the case a lot of times. Truthfully, there's no way he should even sniff top 5 but that's kind of a reflection of this draft. Like I think Culver is way better.

He's also an "Old freshman." Like, he's older than RJ and Zion by a full year. W/ average athleticism. Whoever drafts him is going to be waiting for a while. He's a project that may never pan out.

Back
Top Bottom