2024 NBA Draft Thread

My thing with deni is that all the playmaking disappears when they play better competition and he really can’t dribble like that yet. I understand he’s young though.
Yeah I just think it's a tough spot for a young wing in Europe that isn't a team's primary ball handler. Coach is going to yank you if you screw up. Don't really get the opportunity to play through mistakes. He looks very comfortable as THE guy in FIBA play though against guys his age. Solid handle for his size and good playmaking.

In the NBA he's just going to need some time, and coaches need to let him make mistakes and learn from them. He's probably not going to be asked to be anything more than a 2nd or 3rd playmaker on the floor at any time. Won't have to put it on the floor a ton. Seems like he knows what to do. Just needs some seasoning.

Last edited:
An NBA team that focuses on development will be able to unleash his full potential. Teams overseas care about Ws a bit more than developing a 4th option 19 year old.

Don't have The Athletic, but some quotes per Reddit...

" Watching Ball play live, in an endearingly plodding league, I never saw this (the top 3 pick conversations) coming. I didn’t even grade him out as a top-five pick in a spotty draft."

" it didn’t seem like Ball was playing to win. I’m not sure how else to describe one-footed floater 3-point attempts from a guy shooting 25 percent from deep and repeatedly putting hands on knees in the middle of defensive possessions. "

"If you’re shooting with miserable efficiency against guys who could never come close to making the NBA, I’m not betting that this markedly improves at the highest level there is. "

In the other hand he complimented his passing and handing skills:

" His talents were obvious. He boasts A+ passing vision and an A-level handle. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty much my stance on him as well. 80% confident that Halliburton will have a better pro career. Ball will be taken higher because of that other 20%. Ball will be a flashier, more fun player, but Haliburton will be more effective.

I’m really big on Halilburton - think he does everything quite well but isn’t that insane athlete scouts will be looking for

Strauss basically said his height doesn’t really mean **** other than defensive rebounds and a little with passing if he doesn’t use it defensively or when finishing in the paint.

Don’t see how that can really be argued otherwise, tbh.

Again , at the top of the draft your team better be drafting for the highest ceiling not the highest floor .

Again , at the top of the draft your team better be drafting for the highest ceiling not the highest floor .
Yup, which is why Ball will and should be drafted higher, but likely won't have a better career. Gotta take the chance on the ceiling if you're one of those crap teams.

Best spot for LaMelo is New York IMO. They're terrible enough to give him the necessary development time + maximize his marketing potential early on (because I'm not sure if it will be there later...I'm not betting on him reaching his perceived ceiling).

Also...early conspiracy theory take: the league will rig the draft for Detroit when Emoni's eligible

Best spot for LaMelo is New York IMO. They're terrible enough to give him the necessary development time + maximize his marketing potential early on (because I'm not sure if it will be there later...I'm not betting on him reaching his perceived ceiling).

Also...early conspiracy theory take: the league will rig the draft for Detroit when Emoni's eligible
I think he's a good fit in DET too but obviously not the same marketing potential as NY. Maybe Chicago as well.

I don't really think he's a good enough basketball player to warrant the usage he's going to need elsewhere.

The biggest thing for me from Ball - Is he smart enough to NOT take bad shots? He’s going to have talented dudes around him that he doesn’t need to force shots.

The biggest thing for me from Ball - Is he smart enough to NOT take bad shots? He’s going to have talented dudes around him that he doesn’t need to force shots.
Wouldn't the reason why you'd draft him so high be that you think he'd be able to actually make a lot of those bad shots, a la Ice Tray?

If not, you're just drafting a guy that's good at giving the ball to other people and sucks at shooting and defense.

Wouldn't the reason why you'd draft him so high be that you think he'd be able to actually make a lot of those bad shots, a la Ice Tray?

If not, you're just drafting a guy that's good at giving the ball to other people and sucks at shooting and defense.

I don’t care that he can make them or not really - it’s the thought process of saying in your head, “That’s a really bad shot, my bad” after a make or miss lol

Seems about right. Same JWill that said the Kings needed a guy like Bibby to be more successful :lol:

JWill my guy though :pimp:

All things considered he had a damn good career. 13 year starter and won a ring.

But there was a clear understanding of what he wasn't...I can see the same path for Melo. Will live on sportscenter, kids will love him...but this supposed super-sized, super shooting improvement on his brother's design with Tier 1/2/3 potential....I just can't see it. Realistically...his game matures and his motor improves to be a slightly different replica of Lonzo. A high level role guy.

LaMelo, RJ and Randle sharing the court. :lol:

My brother (who isn't a warriors fan) wants to see Giannis there just for how ridiculous it'd be and was saying if dubs get the one pick they should try to salary dump Wiggins with it to NY for their pick.
I said Wiggins and RJ would be awful and he laughs and says they can be the Slash Bros :smh: :lol:

Yeah I said I felt like this was more of a need based draft for teams however I don’t agree with some of his characterizations of prospects in the “swing star” potentials and the “high floors” categories

Back
Top Bottom