The 25 most Overrated things in hip hop history

12,860
2,672
Joined Aug 6, 2001
Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

That list is on point. The only people saying it's awful clearly had some of their feelings hurt by it.

In what year were you born son?  
 

antidope

Supporter
52,576
35,054
Joined Jan 2, 2012
Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

That list is on point. The only people saying it's awful clearly had some of their feelings hurt by it.
Nope the list isn't that good. It seems like they're operating under the assumption that people are supposed to have never ending impacts. Jadakiss' impact wasn't going to last forever, and neither was Nores to give two examples. 
They knock those two guys for not having longevity then clown others for actually doing it just cause they personally don't like them (Wayne, Drake, Eminem). The fact that TM 101 can make that list more than proves that its worth the hype. Everything Jeezy has put out and will ever put out will be compared to TM101

The list is mostly hate. Except for Ether they were spot on with that one, been saying it for years.
 
99,932
61,392
Joined Jun 1, 2011
Originally Posted by RavageBX

 18 - That's complete bull. No one ever considered Saigon, Tru Life or Uncle Murda to be the "savior" of NY rap. Papoose maybe a little (mostly fueled by Karsten
and DJ Kay Slay who was the most popular DJ at the time). Just because a rapper has a following doesn't mean ppl think he's the next coming. By most accounts in NY we're still waiting on a real impact player and I doubt anyone will tell you different.

17 - Also nonsense. 50 has put out a ton of great music since GRODT. He hasn't put out another classic but let's not act like he was one and done. He had a choke on the game for a pretty long time.
- I don't know man, there were tons up people pegging all 4 of them as THE guys to "bring NY back", and that's including the fanbases and the media in general. It
was just a bunch of collective things that made that not the case though (too much hype & expectations, not being accessible to everybody, and the fact that it was

just not realistic.)

- That's a big no. He hasn't. He's put out a lot of mediocre music, especially based on how big he was. 50 just can't buy a hit, and after having so much early success

and loads of money, it doesn't seem possible he ever will again.
 
18,003
5,315
Joined Jul 29, 2001
Disagree on maybe two or three things, but list is pretty on point.

Edit: I've always felt that way about double albums in general. Use Your Illusion is another great example. If Guns n Roses took the best songs off both volumes and made it into a single disc, it'd have been better than Appetite for Destruction, and also be viewed as one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Instead, tons of filler, and nobody talks about it outside the singles. Same with Tupac and Biggie. People wax nostalgic about those albums, but there's a lot of filler.
 
10,790
930
Joined Feb 9, 2003
Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by RavageBX

 18 - That's complete bull. No one ever considered Saigon, Tru Life or Uncle Murda to be the "savior" of NY rap. Papoose maybe a little (mostly fueled by Karsten
and DJ Kay Slay who was the most popular DJ at the time). Just because a rapper has a following doesn't mean ppl think he's the next coming. By most accounts in NY we're still waiting on a real impact player and I doubt anyone will tell you different.

17 - Also nonsense. 50 has put out a ton of great music since GRODT. He hasn't put out another classic but let's not act like he was one and done. He had a choke on the game for a pretty long time.
- I don't know man, there were tons up people pegging all 4 of them as THE guys to "bring NY back", and that's including the fanbases and the media in general. It
was just a bunch of collective things that made that not the case though (too much hype & expectations, not being accessible to everybody, and the fact that it was

just not realistic.)

- That's a big no. He hasn't. He's put out a lot of mediocre music, especially based on how big he was. 50 just can't buy a hit, and after having so much early success

and loads of money, it doesn't seem possible he ever will again.
Nah man I can assure you no one was pegging them as THE guys. People may have been excited just to hear someone new from New York but none of them ever did anything worthy of praising them as the next big thing. Tru Life and Uncle Murda's only claim to fame are Jay-Z cosigns. Heck Tru Life was cosigned by Saigon, how the hell could he even be considered to be that guy? Of those four only Papoose ever really had the streets buzzing and like I said before that's only because Kay Slay had the streets on lock. None of those guys even had local hit records when they came onto the scene. Only one in rotation regularly on Hot 97 was Papoose, again cause of Kay Slay. I assure you, you're focusing too much on hopeful whispers instead of concrete facts. A lot of ppl hoped they would blow, very few said that they were in fact the next big thing.
Not having a hit doesn't mean you put out mediocre music. He just lost the radio's ear. They moved on to the next "hot" thing. But if you look at all his projects since GRODT they all have bangers on them. They just didn't outdo his intro so ppl look at it like a failure. The Massacre was a number one album and multiplatinum. And that was AFTER he gave away MULTIPLE hits to Game. Hate It or Love It ring a bell? Yeah, that was 50s doing, let's not pretend otherwise. Only difference is Game was new and hot so he had the radio's ear. 
 
70,132
24,207
Joined Aug 1, 2004
Originally Posted by Born illa

Reasonable Doubt at number 2?
$+$* outta here 
even though its blown outta proportions, they album wasn't a big deal at all in 1996.
 
10,790
930
Joined Feb 9, 2003
Someone show me where the filler is on Life After Death. I don't see it. I'm tellin you 2-3 records tops, and those weren't horrible by any stretch of the imagination.
 
10,790
930
Joined Feb 9, 2003
Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Born illa

Reasonable Doubt at number 2?
$+$* outta here 
even though its blown outta proportions, they album wasn't a big deal at all in 1996.
But not because it wasn't hot, but because people weren't up on Jay-Z. It became a much bigger deal after the fact because people DISCOVERED it after the fact. Not because Jay-Z told them it was hot and people just accepted it.
 
70,132
24,207
Joined Aug 1, 2004
Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Born illa

Reasonable Doubt at number 2?
$+$* outta here 
even though its blown outta proportions, they album wasn't a big deal at all in 1996.
But not because it wasn't hot, but because people weren't up on Jay-Z. It became a much bigger deal after the fact because people DISCOVERED it after the fact.
naw b...jay-z was well known, problem is he was just a dope rapper, nothing more nothing less, plus when you look at da competition in 1996, he simply didn't have da firepower to mess with

his counterparts.
 
1,558
161
Joined Dec 18, 2004
i figured it would be some stuff i thought was downright crazy being on the list(RD,LAD, AEOM,Kiss) but the drake one is what makes me disregard this list. im no drake fan but when you say things like 'theres no reason for him to be here but we just dont like him' that is pure unadulterated hate. like i said i dont rock wit drake all like that but thats just corny.

i would feel that way about any artist they wouldve done that too.

im going to reread it in the mad rappers voice, that way it'll make more sense.
 
23,987
1,864
Joined May 18, 2005
Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by ninjahood


even though its blown outta proportions, they album wasn't a big deal at all in 1996.
But not because it wasn't hot, but because people weren't up on Jay-Z. It became a much bigger deal after the fact because people DISCOVERED it after the fact.
naw b...jay-z was well known, problem is he was just a dope rapper, nothing more nothing less, plus when you look at da competition in 1996, he simply didn't have da firepower to mess with

his counterparts.

well known as in having to force his single on the radio?
other than maybe calling up the box to have his video played, what do you mean by well known? 
 

gllahone84

Banned
11,730
1,911
Joined Jul 10, 2011
Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Born illa

Reasonable Doubt at number 2?
$+$* outta here 
even though its blown outta proportions, they album wasn't a big deal at all in 1996.

RD was the next review after IWW in The Source with Nas on the cover about being the leader of the new school, and Jay had no buzz. It Was Written was the $%#* at that time when both of those albums dropped. Even though they both got 4 mics. IWW>>>>>>>>Reasonable Doubt.

Dudes gotta be making up stuff if they say Reasonable Doubt was considered a classic when it dropped.
 
99,932
61,392
Joined Jun 1, 2011
Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by RavageBX
Nah man I can assure you no one was pegging them as THE guys. People may have been excited just to hear someone new from New York but none of them ever did anything worthy of praising them as the next big thing. Tru Life and Uncle Murda's only claim to fame are Jay-Z cosigns. Heck Tru Life was cosigned by Saigon, how the hell could he even be considered to be that guy? Of those four only Papoose ever really had the streets buzzing and like I said before that's only because Kay Slay had the streets on lock. None of those guys even had local hit records when they came onto the scene. Only one in rotation regularly on Hot 97 was Papoose, again cause of Kay Slay. I assure you, you're focusing too much on hopeful whispers instead of concrete facts. A lot of ppl hoped they would blow, very few said that they were in fact the next big thing.
Not having a hit doesn't mean you put out mediocre music. He just lost the radio's ear. They moved on to the next "hot" thing. But if you look at all his projects since GRODT they all have bangers on them. They just didn't outdo his intro so ppl look at it like a failure. The Massacre was a number one album and multiplatinum. And that was AFTER he gave away MULTIPLE hits to Game. Hate It or Love It ring a bell? Yeah, that was 50s doing, let's not pretend otherwise. Only difference is Game was new and hot so he had the radio's ear. 
That I can definitely see. They were being pumped up huge even without radio singles (other than Papoose's features). It did seem like they also piggybacked Nas' whole hip hop is dead
movement, which probably made them seem bigger than they really were or thought they would become.

50 did lose the radio's ear, but that was really through making mediocre music (and burning bridges). GRODT was of course a standout, and the Massacre was good in it's own right, but

Curtis (regardless of the hit singles) and BISD were very subpar, maybe even forced. And around the time of Game's album, 50 was still at his peak, with that Massacre video dvd set

and really good soundtrack that came you. You can really say that 50 gassed himself out going into Curtis. Even a lot of his mixtapes and free songs (outside of 'Blood In The Sand' and 

'War Angel', and possibly 1 or 2 others) didn't at all have that same feel.
 

g14

2,932
522
Joined Dec 3, 2010
they tried eminem

i'll put eminem over pac or big....that says alot
 
3,390
139
Joined Dec 17, 2009
$%*! about Em is true. Dude has put out some bad music. All his albums after MMLP were just not that good.
 
1,941
296
Joined Jan 3, 2007
Originally Posted by G14

they tried eminem

i'll put eminem over pac or big....that says alot
It does say a lot.  It says that what comes through your ears does not reach your brain fam.  Something just aint clicking there with you.  I'm sorry.
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now