The 25 most Overrated things in hip hop history

from hiphop365.com

Posted In:: Blogs Top-10[h1]The 25 Most Overrated Things in Hip Hop History.[/h1]

We reflect back on some of the most overrated things, moments, and rappers in hip hop history.

Published:

Mar 07, 2012 at 11:49 pm EST

Posted by: admin

Former Vibe & The Source Magazine columnist Allen Wiggins reflects back at some of the most overrated rappers,moments and things in hip hop history.

25. Chris Brown
cb.jpg
Sure the dude can dance and is immensely popular with the gossip sites, but in reality, he can’t sing and is hardly ever in synch with the melody of his songs. Had it not been for the Rihanna controversy that bolted him into new heights of infamy, he’d be known as the guy who can do back flips and dance around on stage like he’s running from a bee.

24.Thug Motivation 101
There’s no question this album launched Jeezy into the mainstream, but lets not pretend like this was a ‘Doggystyle’ or ‘Ready to Die’ type debut album. Was it really necessary to follow up with Thug Motivation 102 and 103, and have a 5 year anniversary party for Thug Motivation 101?.

23. The Crunk Movement
Although Lil Jon and the rest of the ATL crew dominated the radio and clubs in the mid 2000s, none of the shuckin’ and jivin’ actually translated into record sales. It came and it went without ever making a real dent on the billboard charts.

22. The Hyphy Movement
The ‘Hyphy’ movement had been simmering around the Bay Area for many years prior to transitioning into mainstream notoriety in late 2005. The Bay had it’s chance to display their own culture and lifestyle to the rest of the country, but they quickly realized that nobody cared. And the Bay hasn’t been heard from since.

21. Life After Death
The most difficult task in hip hop is to create a double CD without fillers, and as blasphemous as it is to criticize the late great B.I.G, Life After Death had too many songs that diluted the album. Strip the album down to 12 songs and you have arguably the greatest album of all time

20. Rick Ross Getting “Exposed

How was NORE "exposed" as a sub-par lyricist with no direction when he's always been a sub-par lyricist with no direction?

Don't agree with 21, 14, and 11.

All that other @+$+ I can agree with.

laugh.gif
at the list overall though.

Originally Posted by illphillip

How was NORE "exposed" as a sub-par lyricist with no direction when he's always been a sub-par lyricist with no direction?

Man Nore went in on Halfway Thugs on the War Report, as a matter of fact on that album he did his thing. 

Dude fooled me..
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by needsomejays

a list that was actually pretty good??? interesting 

Only have a problem with about 4 things which makes this list very good cause i hate every list i see
laugh.gif

I agree with most of the list aside from #6 and 15. Common's song is damn good, regardless of the era. I liked N.O.R.E. tho. Album wasn't that bad.

Saw Life after Death and Jadakiss and stopped reading list is $*%$ as are most list

Some good points on there but some awful ones too.

25 - Chris Brown can't sing. But he's a part of a genre filled with people who can't sing. At least he's a superb performer.

24 - 101 is very overrated. I think all his albums after are better.

21 - Can't be serious. The first disc alone is basically a classic 12 songs. You mean to tell me the next 12 are disposable? FOH! LAD is at most 3 songs from a perfect double disc.

19 - Jadakiss is that good. He's just never won a chip. It happens.

18 - That's complete bull. No one ever considered Saigon, Tru Life or Uncle Murda to be the "savior" of NY rap. Papoose maybe a little (mostly fueled by Karsten
nerd.gif
and DJ Kay Slay who was the most popular DJ at the time). Just because a rapper has a following doesn't mean ppl think he's the next coming. By most accounts in NY we're still waiting on a real impact player and I doubt anyone will tell you different.

17 - Also nonsense. 50 has put out a ton of great music since GRODT. He hasn't put out another classic but let's not act like he was one and done. He had a choke on the game for a pretty long time.

16 - Real fn talk. I been saying that about underground music for the longest. It's no longer the underground it used to be. Now its where nerds who can't make palletable music go. All substance no music. Go write poetry with that garbage
30t6p3b.gif

14 - Nastradamus was that bad

13 - Some truth in there but at the end of the day it's Em's ability that ranks him high, not his output. Same as Jadakiss.

10 - Watch the Throne tour. Nuff said.

5 - "However, the song itself was filled with childish insults to go along with an awful beat. There’s no denying Esco was the benefactor of a culture that loves to root for underdogs, and fans just wanted to see Goliath fall, under any circumstance." Tell the truth and shame the devil!!!

2 - Yeah, no. Reasonable Doubt didn't get it's just due at first because the landscape was so crowded and to that point he had never done anything to step out of the shadow of some of the New York heavyhitters. Once people realized Jay was for real and looked back at Reasonable Doubt it was clear that it was and still is indisputably classic. Jay didn't "leap" onto the scene. He came in the back door.

1 - Gotta agree. Sad thing is Wayne could be more. But he doesn't have to.

They should have had Love Below & The Black Album on there.

For those about to force out some stonefaces, I'll repeat, "The should have had Love Below & The Black Album" on there.
***EDIT: That was spot on about Wayne, "Ether",  bringing NYC back, and underground music 
laugh.gif

4 and 5 all I agree with...and that's evenwith a grain

Can't take anyone serious in any hip conversation serious that discredits reasonable doubt, all eyez on ne, life after death , kiss, then says theres no real reason drake is there...pretty bad list...

laugh.gif
Had a feelin' Tune would be #1
laugh.gif

I agree with the Jadakiss, Chris Brown and TM101 posts. He is spot on.

Back
Top Bottom