The 99ers Vol. Unemployment.. !%#$ is real

Who here is on unemployment and having a hard time find a job? I remember there was a large thread a while ago with people looking for jobs. I wish ya'll the best.

Who here is on unemployment and having a hard time find a job? I remember there was a large thread a while ago with people looking for jobs. I wish ya'll the best.

fake $$$ 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

22% in California? COT DAMN!

Had no idea...
30t6p3b.gif

*swallows pride*

It's rough out there. I went from doing design for a company I hated and making decent money to being unemployed for over a year, to losing my Tahoe, going back to college and working in an effing grocery store.
sick.gif

I had to take the job after looking for work for so long and getting nothing. I'm working on something that will make me wealthy, but it's a risk. I pray that it pays off though. If not, I'll have a degree to fall back on.

I realized *!!$ was real when I went to an open interview and looked behind me after a while to see a long line of about 50 or so people all looking for design work.

22% in California? COT DAMN!

Had no idea...
30t6p3b.gif

*swallows pride*

It's rough out there. I went from doing design for a company I hated and making decent money to being unemployed for over a year, to losing my Tahoe, going back to college and working in an effing grocery store.
sick.gif

I had to take the job after looking for work for so long and getting nothing. I'm working on something that will make me wealthy, but it's a risk. I pray that it pays off though. If not, I'll have a degree to fall back on.

I realized *!!$ was real when I went to an open interview and looked behind me after a while to see a long line of about 50 or so people all looking for design work.

My internship is ending at the end of this week, so I'll be in the back of that unemployment line
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
....since I graduated just in June, I'm not in panic-mode yet, but I'm really, really hoping I can find something permanent by early next year, kind of use a few months time off to work on that resume, maybe take the GRE, get things in order, and treat it like a Winter Break.

My internship is ending at the end of this week, so I'll be in the back of that unemployment line
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
....since I graduated just in June, I'm not in panic-mode yet, but I'm really, really hoping I can find something permanent by early next year, kind of use a few months time off to work on that resume, maybe take the GRE, get things in order, and treat it like a Winter Break.

I just started unemployment this month.
I get $450/week.

I was a supervisor at the Census Bureau getting $17.50/hr to do crossword puzzles. About a month before that job ended I applied to work for a company called CORIX utilities, to become a power meter reader. Job pays $17/ hr. / Full Med/Dental/Vision & 401K. So I got called to test for the job.

I took a really stupid test where I had to read 500 meters in a row without making an error on this tiny Netbook = it took me 2 days, and I was only the 3rd person to finish.
I took a drug test, Driving / FBI background check, the whole 9 yards.

So a week later they call me, and tell me that I got the job, but that I'm waiting on a start date..... It's been about 4 months now, I call / email them about once a week, and they keep telling me that I'm waiting on a start date.

The following is just extra that doesn't really pertain to the subject.

More on the really Stupid / Mind Numbing Power Meter Reader test:

The test was easy, it's just that I wasn't used to using 10 Key, and sometimes I would hit the "9" key thinking it was the "3" key. I'm used to using the number row on the top of a keyboard, and I could do it about as fast as people on 10 key, thanks to years of selling on ebay.

The other problem was that I was going too fast. The first day I got all the way to about 300 something inputs correct, and then I made an error. I did this two times. The second day I took the test I was breezing through it and I made an error.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that if you make an error you go allllll the way back to "ZERO"!!!!!

So finally I just slowed down, and was able to get it done before lunch. Here's a sample of what Reading meters is like:

http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/w...keep/Mod1/test/meter.asp

Now try doing it 500 times in a row without making a mistake. Which is probably easy, because the computers we were using had the dials all out of whack.

I just started unemployment this month.
I get $450/week.

I was a supervisor at the Census Bureau getting $17.50/hr to do crossword puzzles. About a month before that job ended I applied to work for a company called CORIX utilities, to become a power meter reader. Job pays $17/ hr. / Full Med/Dental/Vision & 401K. So I got called to test for the job.

I took a really stupid test where I had to read 500 meters in a row without making an error on this tiny Netbook = it took me 2 days, and I was only the 3rd person to finish.
I took a drug test, Driving / FBI background check, the whole 9 yards.

So a week later they call me, and tell me that I got the job, but that I'm waiting on a start date..... It's been about 4 months now, I call / email them about once a week, and they keep telling me that I'm waiting on a start date.

The following is just extra that doesn't really pertain to the subject.

More on the really Stupid / Mind Numbing Power Meter Reader test:

The test was easy, it's just that I wasn't used to using 10 Key, and sometimes I would hit the "9" key thinking it was the "3" key. I'm used to using the number row on the top of a keyboard, and I could do it about as fast as people on 10 key, thanks to years of selling on ebay.

The other problem was that I was going too fast. The first day I got all the way to about 300 something inputs correct, and then I made an error. I did this two times. The second day I took the test I was breezing through it and I made an error.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that if you make an error you go allllll the way back to "ZERO"!!!!!

So finally I just slowed down, and was able to get it done before lunch. Here's a sample of what Reading meters is like:

http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/w...keep/Mod1/test/meter.asp

Now try doing it 500 times in a row without making a mistake. Which is probably easy, because the computers we were using had the dials all out of whack.

That's interesting because a friend of mine had a job reading meters and I dont remember him mentioning that. Maybe he did it too, not sure. I guess they want to make sure you're consistent but you've been waiting for 4 months?? Sheesh. I start my internship at GM next week and if they keep me on I start getting paid in January. I hope all goes well, we'll see.

Feel you. I applied at a 7 Eleven here and the job received over 500 applicants
sick.gif
No telling how many other jobs I applied to that were like that. I had the best luck with Craigslist and NO success with unsolicited job searching. You get numb to filling out applications after a while.

That's interesting because a friend of mine had a job reading meters and I dont remember him mentioning that. Maybe he did it too, not sure. I guess they want to make sure you're consistent but you've been waiting for 4 months?? Sheesh. I start my internship at GM next week and if they keep me on I start getting paid in January. I hope all goes well, we'll see.

Feel you. I applied at a 7 Eleven here and the job received over 500 applicants
sick.gif
No telling how many other jobs I applied to that were like that. I had the best luck with Craigslist and NO success with unsolicited job searching. You get numb to filling out applications after a while.

I went to ALL of those places and NONE of them were hiring! Don't even give me that. I do agree..SOME people let pride step in the way of going with a much lower grade job.

I went to ALL of those places and NONE of them were hiring! Don't even give me that. I do agree..SOME people let pride step in the way of going with a much lower grade job.

im in silicon valley...that video is mad depressing
30t6p3b.gif

i know many people who have been laid-off,  and lost their homes here in California

definitely gets me nervous of the future for me and my family

im in silicon valley...that video is mad depressing
30t6p3b.gif

i know many people who have been laid-off,  and lost their homes here in California

definitely gets me nervous of the future for me and my family

Originally Posted by nine point five

there's no jobs?? tell that to the single mother working 2-3 jobs to support her family, to the Mexican immigrant making $8/hr in a strawberry field picking fruit for your #!# in 95 degree heat with a SMILE on his face. or the handicapped dude down the street working at Goodwill, enduring pain and embarrassment every day but who has pride in having a job, any job. you wanna know why unemployment is so high? lazy people. there's never a shortage of jobs at McDonald's, Motel 8, your local supermarket, gas station, etc. people would rather collect that check and sit on their #!# in front of the TV all day, rather than "demean" themselves doing real work in the interim, doing any number of jobs available at all times. this is an open letter to anyone, not directed at OP or any specific person..
It seems NT is full of people like you who don't take time to read and I'm not throwing shots, but dude, step down off the horse.
Lazy? I spent 8 hours last night lifting heavy !#$ boxes at a grocery store after going to class and hitting the gym for 2 hours. My day began with a 4:30 wake up by my 2 yo daughter, getting both of my kids ready for school and making them breakfast. I didn't get home until about 11 last night.

Ain't nobody lazy, the jobs ain't there. Best believe I applied to gas stations, 7-11 and all that and I'm waaay overqualified for those positions.

Most of those places are afraid to hire people like me though. They want someone who is unskilled and will put up with a lot of bs without asking questions. Not to mention the pay cut I took. 
sick.gif
 My pay history was a big issue in getting hired for a retail job.

They thought I wouldn't work for what I'm making now and I didn't want to but I had to. Stop assuming so damn much and no I'm not mad, but cats

like you who haven't stepped in the shoes of people like me are so damn quick to judge when you probably 
grin.gif
have no experience to base your judgements on.

Originally Posted by nine point five

there's no jobs?? tell that to the single mother working 2-3 jobs to support her family, to the Mexican immigrant making $8/hr in a strawberry field picking fruit for your #!# in 95 degree heat with a SMILE on his face. or the handicapped dude down the street working at Goodwill, enduring pain and embarrassment every day but who has pride in having a job, any job. you wanna know why unemployment is so high? lazy people. there's never a shortage of jobs at McDonald's, Motel 8, your local supermarket, gas station, etc. people would rather collect that check and sit on their #!# in front of the TV all day, rather than "demean" themselves doing real work in the interim, doing any number of jobs available at all times. this is an open letter to anyone, not directed at OP or any specific person..
It seems NT is full of people like you who don't take time to read and I'm not throwing shots, but dude, step down off the horse.
Lazy? I spent 8 hours last night lifting heavy !#$ boxes at a grocery store after going to class and hitting the gym for 2 hours. My day began with a 4:30 wake up by my 2 yo daughter, getting both of my kids ready for school and making them breakfast. I didn't get home until about 11 last night.

Ain't nobody lazy, the jobs ain't there. Best believe I applied to gas stations, 7-11 and all that and I'm waaay overqualified for those positions.

Most of those places are afraid to hire people like me though. They want someone who is unskilled and will put up with a lot of bs without asking questions. Not to mention the pay cut I took. 
sick.gif
 My pay history was a big issue in getting hired for a retail job.

They thought I wouldn't work for what I'm making now and I didn't want to but I had to. Stop assuming so damn much and no I'm not mad, but cats

like you who haven't stepped in the shoes of people like me are so damn quick to judge when you probably 
grin.gif
have no experience to base your judgements on.

Back
Top Bottom