The 99ers Vol. Unemployment.. !%#$ is real

Discussion in 'General' started by mangudai954, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mangudai954

mangudai954

Who here is on unemployment and having a hard time find a job? I remember there was a large thread a while ago with people looking for jobs. I wish ya'll the best.

2. mangudai954

mangudai954

Who here is on unemployment and having a hard time find a job? I remember there was a large thread a while ago with people looking for jobs. I wish ya'll the best.

3. thunderchunk69

thunderchunk69

fake $$$ [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. thunderchunk69

thunderchunk69

fake $$$ [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. general johnson

general johnson Banned

22% in California? COT DAMN!

Had no idea... [​IMG]

*swallows pride*

It's rough out there. I went from doing design for a company I hated and making decent money to being unemployed for over a year, to losing my Tahoe, going back to college and working in an effing grocery store. [​IMG]

I had to take the job after looking for work for so long and getting nothing. I'm working on something that will make me wealthy, but it's a risk. I pray that it pays off though. If not, I'll have a degree to fall back on.

I realized *!!$ was real when I went to an open interview and looked behind me after a while to see a long line of about 50 or so people all looking for design work.

6. general johnson

general johnson Banned

22% in California? COT DAMN!

Had no idea... [​IMG]

*swallows pride*

It's rough out there. I went from doing design for a company I hated and making decent money to being unemployed for over a year, to losing my Tahoe, going back to college and working in an effing grocery store. [​IMG]

I had to take the job after looking for work for so long and getting nothing. I'm working on something that will make me wealthy, but it's a risk. I pray that it pays off though. If not, I'll have a degree to fall back on.

I realized *!!$ was real when I went to an open interview and looked behind me after a while to see a long line of about 50 or so people all looking for design work.

7. acidicality

acidicality

My internship is ending at the end of this week, so I'll be in the back of that unemployment line [​IMG][​IMG]....since I graduated just in June, I'm not in panic-mode yet, but I'm really, really hoping I can find something permanent by early next year, kind of use a few months time off to work on that resume, maybe take the GRE, get things in order, and treat it like a Winter Break.

8. acidicality

acidicality

My internship is ending at the end of this week, so I'll be in the back of that unemployment line [​IMG][​IMG]....since I graduated just in June, I'm not in panic-mode yet, but I'm really, really hoping I can find something permanent by early next year, kind of use a few months time off to work on that resume, maybe take the GRE, get things in order, and treat it like a Winter Break.

9. nikeskywalker

nikeskywalker Banned

I just started unemployment this month.
    I get $450/week.

I was a supervisor at the Census Bureau getting $17.50/hr to do crossword puzzles. About a month before that job ended I applied to work for a company called CORIX utilities, to become a power meter reader. Job pays $17/ hr. / Full Med/Dental/Vision & 401K. So I got called to test for the job.

I took a really stupid test where I had to read 500 meters in a row without making an error on this tiny Netbook = it took me 2 days, and I was only the 3rd person to finish.
    I took a drug test, Driving / FBI background check, the whole 9 yards.

So a week later they call me, and tell me that I got the job, but that I'm waiting on a start date..... It's been about 4 months now, I call / email them about once a week, and they keep telling me that I'm waiting on a start date.

The following is just extra that doesn't really pertain to the subject.

More on the really Stupid / Mind Numbing Power Meter Reader test:

The test was easy, it's just that I wasn't used to using 10 Key, and sometimes I would hit the "9" key thinking it was the "3" key. I'm used to using the number row on the top of a keyboard, and I could do it about as fast as people on 10 key, thanks to years of selling on ebay.

The other problem was that I was going too fast. The first day I got all the way to about 300 something inputs correct, and then I made an error. I did this two times. The second day I took the test I was breezing through it and I made an error.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that if you make an error you go allllll the way back to "ZERO"!!!!!

So finally I just slowed down, and was able to get it done before lunch. Here's a sample of what Reading meters is like:

http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/w...keep/Mod1/test/meter.asp

Now try doing it 500 times in a row without making a mistake. Which is probably easy, because the computers we were using had the dials all out of whack.

10. nikeskywalker

nikeskywalker Banned

I just started unemployment this month.
    I get $450/week.

I was a supervisor at the Census Bureau getting $17.50/hr to do crossword puzzles. About a month before that job ended I applied to work for a company called CORIX utilities, to become a power meter reader. Job pays $17/ hr. / Full Med/Dental/Vision & 401K. So I got called to test for the job.

I took a really stupid test where I had to read 500 meters in a row without making an error on this tiny Netbook = it took me 2 days, and I was only the 3rd person to finish.
    I took a drug test, Driving / FBI background check, the whole 9 yards.

So a week later they call me, and tell me that I got the job, but that I'm waiting on a start date..... It's been about 4 months now, I call / email them about once a week, and they keep telling me that I'm waiting on a start date.

The following is just extra that doesn't really pertain to the subject.

More on the really Stupid / Mind Numbing Power Meter Reader test:

The test was easy, it's just that I wasn't used to using 10 Key, and sometimes I would hit the "9" key thinking it was the "3" key. I'm used to using the number row on the top of a keyboard, and I could do it about as fast as people on 10 key, thanks to years of selling on ebay.

The other problem was that I was going too fast. The first day I got all the way to about 300 something inputs correct, and then I made an error. I did this two times. The second day I took the test I was breezing through it and I made an error.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that if you make an error you go allllll the way back to "ZERO"!!!!!

So finally I just slowed down, and was able to get it done before lunch. Here's a sample of what Reading meters is like:

http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/w...keep/Mod1/test/meter.asp

Now try doing it 500 times in a row without making a mistake. Which is probably easy, because the computers we were using had the dials all out of whack.

11. mangudai954

mangudai954

That's interesting because a friend of mine had a job reading meters and I dont remember him mentioning that. Maybe he did it too, not sure. I guess they want to make sure you're consistent but you've been waiting for 4 months?? Sheesh. I start my internship at GM next week and if they keep me on I start getting paid in January. I hope all goes well, we'll see.

12. mangudai954

mangudai954

That's interesting because a friend of mine had a job reading meters and I dont remember him mentioning that. Maybe he did it too, not sure. I guess they want to make sure you're consistent but you've been waiting for 4 months?? Sheesh. I start my internship at GM next week and if they keep me on I start getting paid in January. I hope all goes well, we'll see.

13. nine point five

nine point five Banned

dsaf;akhsdf

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  14. nine point five

nine point five Banned

dlfha;sdsa

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  15. mangudai954

mangudai954

I went to ALL of those places and NONE of them were hiring! Don't even give me that. I do agree..SOME people let pride step in the way of going with a much lower grade job.

16. mangudai954

mangudai954

I went to ALL of those places and NONE of them were hiring! Don't even give me that. I do agree..SOME people let pride step in the way of going with a much lower grade job.

17. wanksta23

wanksta23

im in silicon valley...that video is mad depressing[​IMG]

i know many people who have been laid-off,  and lost their homes here in California

definitely gets me nervous of the future for me and my family

18. wanksta23

wanksta23

im in silicon valley...that video is mad depressing[​IMG]

i know many people who have been laid-off,  and lost their homes here in California

definitely gets me nervous of the future for me and my family

19. mr raskatripas

mr raskatripas

I'm lucky I landed a job

20. mr raskatripas

mr raskatripas

I'm lucky I landed a job