The alll DJ post. questions or comments welcomed.

Originally Posted by vrp32tl

The serato will be the death of a real DJ. VINYL !!#%@!

not really, i think its a great tool to use, but i did use vinyl , ive gone thru alot of diff equipment, what i dont like is dudes that think that they canjust get on serato and dj, like i was at this girls bday and this dude dj ive met before came thru, dude wanted to get on, so i letm he had no idea how to usevinyl (with serato) looked real awkward tryna handle the platter, dudes a cdj+serato dj,no mixing no blending, some scratching, just scratch scratch drop, likeUHMMM OK,
my main thing is being flexible, and that goes from equipment to music to the crowd....

The serato Undercutting DJs will be the death of a real DJ. VINYL !!#%@!
Fixed. Cats will do anything to try to rock a party these days and the promoters are willing to take em to save a couple of bucks. It's sad
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Fixed. Cats will do anything to try to rock a party these days and the promoters are willing to take em to save a couple of bucks. It's sad
tired.gif
I myself do not DJ. I just know a lot of cats that really do it and hate the new generation of so called "DJ's" that claim to bewhat they are not. If you take away their serato they wouldn't know what to do with vinyl and how to use your ears to mix. I just think a serato has to beearned is all.

Promoters are donkeys in the first place. They never want to pay a brotha when the job is done.

tired.gif

QFT you couldnt say it any better my man, promoters dont see that a good dj = good party, dudes rather get horrible dj that would do a gig for close to nothingso they can pocket that money, its a short term boost for them cuz in the end ppl realize the music sucks, and go somewhere else,

tired.gif

Exactly.

Plus, Serato changes the game in the sense that it's less about skills and more about marketing and networking. The "price of admission" to be aDJ is cheaper and no longer requires years of paying dues.

tired.gif
I myself do not DJ. I just know a lot of cats that really do it and hate the new generation of so called "DJ's" that claim to be what they are not. If you take away their serato they wouldn't know what to do with vinyl and how to use your ears to mix. I just think a serato has to be earned is all.

I agree with you 100%. I'm so sick of people saying I wanna get in to DJing and all they need is a laptop. I look and shake my head because the laptopain't doin the work it's the DJ gettin it in. I definitely agree that cats need to learn how to beatmatch with their ears and not with the screen.

I have been collecting and buying vinyl since 1999.... hit up thrift stores, Amoeba, fat beats, mom and pop shops, etc... I love it and There is no betterfeeling than spinning with records. However, last year in January I got serato scratch live for convenience.

You can really tell that times have changed. You no longer need a van or a huge truck to haul all your equipment. Everything you need to DJ now can fit in acivic. I remember having to help my brother in-law with all his milk crates. Now he just carries around a backpack and maybe 15-20 record/break beats he usesin one of those security looking cases.

It kinda takes away the thrill of digging for that 1991 original 12" pressing or whatever... when u can just about find anything on mp3 nowadays....

so what music forums/pools yall hit up???
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
someone let me know if i cant have up the links,

crooklynclan.net (mashups)
dailytunez.com (hiphop)
housemusic4life.blogspot.com (house)
discodust.blogspot.com (electro/indi house)

Originally Posted by jomitm

so...

where exactly would one start off with?

we're talking about a reasonable budget.

i know the question is mad general, but i wanted to get this thread rollin.
I believe you need a budget of at least 1000-1200
Buy used 1200s. Those are build like tanks. You can prob get them for about 225 each.
Next you need a mixer, you can prob get away with a bottom line mixer for about 100.
Needles are def needed. A pair is needed which cost anywhere for 150 to 200 for a pair.
Serato Scratch Live is where everyone is head, 450-550
and a nice set of headphones.
Lastly you need a large library of music, mp3, cds, records, anything.

After all this is bought you can prob start off hooking it up to your home audio for a while. This will get you started.

I just got the Numark ns7's and am loving them. Itch is off the hook! And any DJ knows that the point of DJing is to NOT use Serato at all or in a very minimal fashion.

ive been trying to get into dj

but like many of ya said i rather learn how to mix, and beat match by ear instead of letting a comp. do it for me.

pretty much i rather learn the orginal way first master that and than once i do that i will ove to serato.

any body kno a good dj set to buy or pick up???

btw im 20

im i too late ???

Back
Top Bottom