The ALPHAPROJECT (aka. Jason Petrie) Appreciation Post!

Many of you know his story.
One of NT's own but not one of the up and coming designers in the industry anymore, this guy has arrived and is established but still has a great future. Ithink eventually, he can be on that level with guys like Aaron Cooper and Eric Avar. His concepts have "wow'ed" NikeTalk for years, and from hisfirst few sneakers with Fila to his latest creations with Nike, he continues to wow us and give us aesthetically pleasing , forward thinking performanceproducts with his own signature flair.

Concept Art:

97115ee978320f68946e393b20d8c98203bcfd4.jpg

f8935f80e84272193d6000a36b85b75a17aba49.jpg

0e8259ee4b72f3340f46f7bfbc2831e9995c133.jpg

7553511be9377a8e31380fa76bbfb170687f0aa.jpg

15f2521e787d63a608566ff740c3fc2afb0a5ed.jpg

d593595aec33742e36440329637a51cf3557752.jpg

b9a155ee77330165c271e9227b4cd0ab3375006.jpg

53d35852e11978703839010e6fdac58625c6925.jpg

29235602e76076be3f080b506ad4aff12dbef3f.jpg

c9b155e8703c0f676e21ee1ca22f8e5ca958a26.jpg

Production shoes:

Fila Strapt:
6f8154e9713f0968ca94e37266642bbfd551ba7.jpg

Fila Truth:
Fila_Truth.jpg

Fila_Truth_05.jpg

Nike Air Force S.T.A.T:

One of the best Air Max shoes in years. Details on this shoe are off the hook. My highlights include the outsoles ("airmax" on the right and"STAT" on the left), the old school "FORCE" style "STAT" logo on the tongue, on the medial side heel above the air bubble theright shoe says "25.0 PSI" and the left says "610.245" just a GREAT detail on the shoe.

stat_wht_blk_pur.jpg
stat_wht_blk_pur_14.jpg

stat_wht_blk_pur_10.jpg
stat_wht_blk_pur_11.jpg

stat_wht_blk_pur_7.jpg
stat_blk_wht_pur_8.jpg

Nike Air Force STAT II:

I think Jason was a bit constrained on this shoe by having to use the Air Max 360 BB midsole/outsole combo but the upper details are very nice.

STAT360.jpg

force.jpg

Nike Flight Windmill:

Very very lightweight shoe. Zoom Air heel is responsive, but only uses phylon in the forefoot. Laces were too thin and contributed to sub-par fit. Grip isphenomenal due to the unique outsole design. Outsole writing says "Nike Flight Systems . Two Thousand and Eight" a great touch and definitely"Alphaproject"

1209343160156_60166.jpg
d0041099_47a93e8e2b0b0.jpg

d0041099_47a93d211ed6c.jpg
d0041099_47a93d9f74b4e.jpg

Nike Huarache '08 BBall:

67a356d9e2ba7e863f2c0f3967d7aeefdaef3a1.jpg
huarache-08-lakers-04.jpg

nike_huarache_zoom_odom_04.jpg

Nike Power Max:

nikepowermaxoden01.jpg
nikepowermaxhornets07.jpg

nikepowermaxpaul06.jpg

www.osneaker.com

Nike Zoom MVP:
nikezoommvpstevenash01.jpg
nikezoommvpstevenash03.jpg

nikezoommvpstevenash04.jpg
nikezoommvpstevenash05.jpg

www.osneaker.com

A few more shoes that I suspect Petrie had a hand in:
Nike Zoom Sharkley
Nike Barwin

Please feel free to add any pictures of your favorite Alphaproject (aka. Jason Petrie) designed shoes or if you have any corrections please add.

lovely post. I've heard about him b4 but didnt know the extent of his designs and that he was affiliated with Fila as well....some of the concepts are realintriguing and u have to wonder what they would've been if produced.....nice post again.

and the alpha project was really something else with the GP's and some of the training shoes which came out around in the late 90's etc...i'venoticed the 5 dots on much of the recent shoes, but not much "bang" around the whole "alpha project" vibe again, wondered why also...

the VC concept reminds me of these.......
product-1048055.jpg
(which I must confess i really hated
sick.gif
) but looks a bit nicer, ifthere's anyway to put it...whats that on the medial portion of the heel as well....monkey-paw tech?

for some reason the zoom mvp's always brings AM 90's to mind, have no real clue why and looks alot more like a trainer rather than a bball shoe,expecially the black CW.

15f2521e787d63a608566ff740c3fc2afb0a5ed.jpg
i think these would be a lovelyshoe if executed correctly and also the kidd's if they werent that military tank-like looking...and surprisingly...

these would have been nice ifexecuted correctly as well....nice touch for a modernised flavour to the 1's.

Review_hyperflight_34front-yellow.jpg

830145101.jpg

305_3_.jpg

sprtBasketballNike_Air_VisZoom_Uptempo-resized200.jpg

Nike-Flightposite-2.jpg

nike_payton_2.jpg
navy blue and white ones to thesethough...
Nike_Air_Zoom_GP_II.jpg
(cant get a larger pic)

and the infamous......
huarache_2k4_ot.jpg

Bro, you're confusing Alphaprojects.

Jason Petrie aka ALPHAPROJECT and the Nike Alphaproject are entirely different things.

lol....alrighty then...big miscue there, anyway no harm sharin anyway

The guy has real talent. Whilst i wouldn't to see him move entirely away from Nike, i think he should be given the opportunity to work on an Air Jordanshoe: They need someone who can get them out of their rut.

Originally Posted by STORM RYDER

Nike Air Force S.T.A.T:

One of the best Air Max shoes in years. Details on this shoe are off the hook. My highlights include the outsoles ("airmax" on the right and "STAT" on the left),

These are probably in my top ten favorite Nike shoes. The only shoe new shoe from the last few years that i've got in multiples.

<
the old school "FORCE" style "STAT" logo on the tongue, on the medial side heel above the air bubble the right shoe says "25.0 PSI" and the left says "610.245" just a GREAT detail on the shoe.

......................... or if you have any corrections please add.

Just a minor one:

The first two colorways had the Force logo on the tongue.
The second two had the AS1 logo.

Good eye swingshot!

I love that AS1 logo as well. Great picture there.
Can't wait to see the STAT III.

I'm not sure that Jason did the Powermax or the Zoom MVP, but they look like his work, especially the Zoom MVP.

bundy9 wrote:
for some reason the zoom mvp's always brings AM 90's to mind, have no real clue why and looks alot more like a trainer rather than a bball shoe, expecially the black CW.

Steve Nash's favorite off-court shoe is the Air Max 90. He even had a special edition made a few years back and of course Steve Nash loves his low-cutshoes, which explains the cut.

Most of those concepts were done around 99-04. Definitely ahead of his time.

GREAT POST

my dude jason was a beast.... i knew he finally linked up w/ the swoosh... didnt know he had a hand in the latest nike BB jawns. VERY good look.

always good to show the OG NTers some love.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

while we're on the subject, my favorite "alphaproject (•••••)" release, was and always will be the shox R4.

Jason Petrie is a TRUE BEAST....

Folks on the Jordan Side speak VERY highly of him.. and he is outside of designing..a VERY good dude. I hope to see him get the reigns on many upcomingprojects and signature shoes because he is the guy who can (ifnot held back) take stuff to a new level.

He is one where the stuff that DOESN'T release he has done is far better than some of the stuff other companies consider their premier design.

He belongs either in Jordan or in the Kitchen for real.

Jason was the originator. He inspired a lot of us to do this and has offered a lot of help to the up-and-coming designers as well. Definitely nothing but abright future!

http://kicksguide.com/nike/sharkley/sharkley.asp Thats an article about him with the Sharkley...One thing I noticed...Possibly his most famous shoe was the AJ1..Where he made it for today's standards... Its almost like Nike assigned him this task withprojects...The huarache 09'....The Barwin/Sharkley..Even the STATS with the inspiration from Barkleys...He is def. the best at it...a true pioneer...

I still think this is a possibility... the way Brand Jordan is re-introducing old school Air Jordans with modern tech (See "True Flights"/New VIIs).Jordan should grab this design, throw some Zoom Air in and label it the "Takeoff."

I always thought the Melo 1.5 had some DNA from this Design... I said it years ago and think it still..

I never thought to actually ask D.E. had he ever seen it....

Originally Posted by bundy9

and the alpha project was really something else with the GP's and some of the training shoes which came out around in the late 90's etc...i've noticed the 5 dots on much of the recent shoes, but not much "bang" around the whole "alpha project" vibe again, wondered why also...
The Alpha Project and Alpha Project the nt member/designer are not one in the same.

petrie has designed some nice stuff.

a few pairs that ive liked from a visual standpoint but none enough to buy.

Huarache 08 would have been the first if they had been more readily available in men's sizes.

I use some many of AP's renderings in my design class that I should be paying him royalties!

Originally Posted by arff23

http://kicksguide.com/nike/sharkley/sharkley.asphttp://kicksguide.com/nike/sharkley/sharkley.asp Thats an article about him with the Sharkley... One thing I noticed...Possibly his most famous shoe was the AJ1..Where he made it for today's standards... Its almost like Nike assigned him this task with projects...The huarache 09'....The Barwin/Sharkley..Even the STATS with the inspiration from Barkleys...He is def. the best at it...a true pioneer...

Good find on that article. I knew the Sharkley's had that "Alphaproject" quality to them, but they were devoid of the infamous 5 dots.

I just hope JP doesnt get "typecast" with these kind of retro fusion shoes although he does do it SO well. We all know hes capable of so much more.

Jason Petrie, you are appreciated, eventhough the Windmills are in every shoe sale in this part of the planet. Great design though.

It's a shame. The Windmills are actually one of my favorite Nike designs in the past few years, but the performance is horrible I hear.

Good stuff
pimp.gif

Rock Deep, is it typical inner office politics that is holding him back
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom