The boat accident w. the NFL players...do you think Nick Schuyler is lying about something?

Details are real sketchy....I just came across this on Yahoo...

Around 5:30 p.m., the report said the group ran into trouble: Their anchor was stuck. Schuyler told investigators that he believed it was caught in a coral reef. They tried to free it, but water filled the boat and it capsized.

Tossed into the frigid water, the men managed to grab their life vests. Schuyler said they held on to the boat for four hours. But as the night wore on, their will to survive appears to have weakened and the effects of hypothermia were likely setting in.

Schuyler told the Coast Guard that one of the men "freaked out" and took off his life vest and disappeared that night.

Another one of the men started getting unruly and throwing punches later. Schuyler told the Coast Guard the second man also took off his life jacket, dove under the water and was never seen again. The third man thought he saw land nearly two days after the boat capsized and decided to swim for it.

Schuyler told the Coast Guard that man said his life jacket was too tight and he took it off.

Officials have said that they eventually found three life jackets; one on Schuyler; another near the boat and a third underneath it. The bodies of the three who disappeared have not been found.

It's unclear how accurate the account is. Schuyler, who was found clinging to the overturned boat about 35 miles off Clearwater and nearly 48 hours after the accident, was suffering from hypothermia and he has provided different accounts to the men's relatives. The family of William Bleakley, for example, said Schuyler told them that their son held on to the boat with his college teammate until he weakened and died. Schuyler has also said that Bleakley helped him survive, talking to him and encouraging him during their last night together.

Marquis Cooper's father has questioned Schuyler's account that his son removed his life jacket. Schuyler has not responded to interview requests.

Link

I dunno...I want to give Schuyler the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that he has given different stories to the various families of those lost at seaonly makes me wonder. Seems like it might have been a survival of the fittest type of situation after the boat flipped. If anyone deserves an HONEST account,it's the other families. I just don't know why his stories weren't consistent. Even Cooper's pops isn't believing why Schuyler issaying....sad situation, and RIP to those still out there...

Read the survivor accounts of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis and you'll understand what goes through the mind of people who are capsized and lost atsea. Basically you go crazy. It's not uncommon for people to remove their life vest and submerge themselves because the water feels warmer. Then you drown.

Personally I dont know what to think. We havent seen many situations like this before and as we know we have no clue what state of mind he was in. It also hasnot helpd that a new version of events popped up basically every day for over a week straight. Perhaps the real truth is as they say left out at sea.....butfor the deceaseds' families I feel for them.

I just feel like they would've sticked together after the boat turned if they were all by eachother.....weird...

And I wouldn't let my boys all kill themselves....like the dude punched things and then drowned himself? and someone thought they saw land???? hahahahahahwhat kind of vision do they have they were like 30 miles off shore by no land.....

crazy.....

I guess I just don't understand why he would lie... What's he have to gain from it? It ain't like he killed them...

And like dmbrhs touched on, being in water like that plays SERIOUS games with your mental state...

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Read the survivor accounts of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis and you'll understand what goes through the mind of people who are capsized and lost at sea. Basically you go crazy. It's not uncommon for people to remove their life vest and submerge themselves because the water feels warmer. Then you drown.
I can't even imagine....but the thing that gets me is this:

It's unclear how accurate the account is. Schuyler, who was found clinging to the overturned boat about 35 miles off Clearwater and nearly 48 hours after the accident, was suffering from hypothermia and he has provided different accounts to the men's relatives.

I guess the families are having a hard time taking Schuyler's word because he has given different stories about what happened to everyone else. That isunsettling. I can see why Cooper's dad is questioning Schuyler. The lack of consistency in his account is probably the reason why they are having such ahard time coming to grips and also believing what he is saying. Again, I think it could have been a case of survival of the fittest....you never know what youare truly capable of when facing a desperate situation.

I thought foul play at first but If u gonna plot or plan to do some foul *#!@, part of ur plan prolly isnt gonna have u sittin on top of a capsized boat withhypothermia on the brink of death
We will never know

I dunno...I want to give Schuyler the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that he has given different stories to the various families of those lost at sea only makes me wonder. Seems like it might have been a survival of the fittest type of situation after the boat flipped. If anyone deserves an HONEST account, it's the other families. I just don't know why his stories weren't consistent. Even Cooper's pops isn't believing why Schuyler is saying....sad situation, and RIP to those still out there...

how about its just the familes making up BS not wanting it to sink in(no pun) that there sons went out the way they did?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

I dunno...I want to give Schuyler the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that he has given different stories to the various families of those lost at sea only makes me wonder. Seems like it might have been a survival of the fittest type of situation after the boat flipped. If anyone deserves an HONEST account, it's the other families. I just don't know why his stories weren't consistent. Even Cooper's pops isn't believing why Schuyler is saying....sad situation, and RIP to those still out there...
how about its just the familes making up BS not wanting it to sink in(no pun) that there sons went out the way they did?
that's another way of looking at it...but why did Schuyler give different stories to the other families?

ddude shouldnt have talked because crazy +%%% will happen to people when they are out on the water for a number of days, they go nuts.

Hopefully dude is just buggin out.

how would you approach telling a family who wholeheartedly believes their son is a "fighter" that their son simply gave up on life? im not sayingthey are cowards or anything like that, but it would pain me as a parent to know that my son just gave up ... and if i were schuyler i wouldnt know what to sayeither ... i would have probably lied and said the sea was just too strong and everyone tried to hold on but one by one the other 3 lost their grip ...

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

how would you approach telling a family who wholeheartedly believes their son is a "fighter" that their son simply gave up on life? im not saying they are cowards or anything like that, but it would pain me as a parent to know that my son just gave up ... and if i were schuyler i wouldnt know what to say either ... i would have probably lied and said the sea was just too strong and everyone tried to hold on but one by one the other 3 lost their grip ...
thats what i think also.

Does it say whether those accounts in the article were what he was saying immediately after he was rescued?

I don't necessarily believe he was lying but that, like many people from all accounts that are in that situation with hypothermia, his mind was a littlewarped. He himself might not believe or truly be mentally aware of everything exactly as it happened. It doesn't make it right if he did lie about it, butit sounds like he told his friends' families something that made them to be more courageous.

If no foul play was involved, which I imagine is the case but you never know, it's tough to put Schuyler out there like that for being the lone survivor.I'm sure he's just happy to be alive, but it'll only make it more difficult for him if people are pointing fingers.

eek.gif
I sure hope not
smh.gif

WHAT A TRAGIC STORY HOPEFULLY THEY HAD A PEACEFUL DEATH. iM PRETTY SURE THE GUY WHO SURVIVED WAS IMAGINING THINGS OF WHAT HAPPENED. 2 DAYS IS A VERY LONG TIMER.I.P.

Sad part is, no one will know what happened out there , thats between those 4 men and the ocean

I'd like to believe he is telling the truth, he is probably going through some hard times now since he was the only survivor. It's sad, I can'treally see why he would lie unless he played a part in their death or something. No one will ever know other than him tho...

Truly a sad story. I have a a slight phobia of large bodies of water and drowning, and I know i'd lose my mind if I was stuck in that situation.

doublejs, who is that in your avatar?

Quincy Carter?

don't see why he has any reason to lie, also i would understand why there are inconsistencies in this recount of the tragedy. hypothermia aint no joke andit'll make you not think straight, doctor who treated him said it was a miracle he was alive at all.

To add to what I said earlier, I know in the Indianapolis incident, guys would remove their life vests to submerge themselves because the water felt"warmer" below, and they'd just drown. Logic goes out the window in these situations, and if you've been clinging to a boat for a coupledays, dehydrated beyond belief, and you watched your friends die, essentially, you are in no right mind to even comprehend what was going on, let alone have astraight story for everyone.

How do we know he's telling different stories and not just giving pieces of stories. Maybe all the different things he said did happen. Two days at sea isa long time for things to happen.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

how would you approach telling a family who wholeheartedly believes their son is a "fighter" that their son simply gave up on life? im not saying they are cowards or anything like that, but it would pain me as a parent to know that my son just gave up ... and if i were schuyler i wouldnt know what to say either ... i would have probably lied and said the sea was just too strong and everyone tried to hold on but one by one the other 3 lost their grip ...
thats what i think also.
same here...

I know everybody wanna give boy ythe benefit of the doubt but what if dude was acting like how cats was portrayed on the Titanic. Im not saying thats whathappened but I wouldnt be surprised cause when its life or death no telling what you'll do. Most of us have saw one of those Saw movies.

Back
Top Bottom