The Charlotte Bobcats are screwed...

[h1]Michael Jordan reaches deal to buy Bobcats[/h1]
By MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer 10 hours, 19 minutes ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—He has been called the NBA’s greatest player and one ofthe country’s top pitchmen.

Now Michael Jordan is ready for a new title: NBA owner.

With minutes to go until his exclusive negotiating window was to expire,Jordan struck a deal late Friday night to buy controlling interest of theCharlotte Bobcats, putting the six-time NBA champion in charge of themoney-losing team in his home state.

Owner Bob Johnson announced in a statement that he’s agreed to sell theBobcats to Jordan, who been a part-owner of since 2006. Jordan has been runningthe team’s basketball operations.

The purchase price and details of Jordan’s ownership group—called MJBasketball Holdings LLC—weren’t immediately available. A spokeswoman forJohnson and a spokesman for Jordan said neither man was available for commentearly Saturday.

The league’s owners must still approve the purchase.

Jordan was in competition with former Houston Rockets executive GeorgePostolos, who also had an ownership group together to buy the team. But Postolossaid Jordan had the exclusive right to buy the club until just before midnightFriday night.

Jordan hit another last-second shot—reaching a deal minutes before thedeadline.

“I remain committed to becoming an NBA owner, and I’m glad that Michaelwill continue to bring his talent to the sport and the league,

michael-jordan-cigar.jpg

Originally Posted by Im Not You

So we just gonna ignore the moves he made to make them competitive this year huh?
9th place in the East is nothing to be boasting about...

Playing for a playoff isn't competitive? Especially given their lack of success their first five years.
ohwell.gif

Competitive= record near 500 and possibly making the 1st playoff appearance ever
eyes.gif

Stephen Jackson and Tyrus Thomas were underrated moves this season imo

'Competitive,' but, this is more or less going to be the team they're rolling with for years to come. Look at their cap situation. It's not pretty.

If they played in the West their record would be a carbon copy of the Clippers record right now. Around 24 wins. Possibly even less. They benefit from playing 52 of their games in the Eastern Conference and still aren't slotted in as a playoff team at this point. Hell, they are FOURTH in their division out of five teams right now.

They play well at times, just like any other team, but I would not classify them as competitive game in and game out.

Some moves the Bobcats have made since MJ became a minority owner:
-drafting Adam Morrison #3 overall
-drafting Brandan Wright #8 overall and then trading him for J-Rich
-drafting DJ Augustin #9 overall
-trading J-Rich for Diaw and Bell
-trading Bell for Stephen Jackson (good move)
-trading Okafor for Chandler

More bad than good IMO. Let's not forget some of his poor decisions when he was apart of the Wizards. Drafting Kwame...trading Rip for Stackhouse.

Originally Posted by JPZx

So we just gonna ignore the moves he made to make them competitive this year huh?
word especially with the contracts they have... if you get guys that make $ like longterm that they have, they better be a top 5 team in the East
sick.gif

Where have they been most of the decade? rock bottom.

Now contending for a playoff spot, as well as being one of the best defensive teams, isnt competitive?

please this team is wayyy more competitive then ever....i'm proud of the bobcats....hopefully we can make the playoffs

Originally Posted by THE GR8

Originally Posted by JPZx

word especially with the contracts they have... if you get guys that make $ like longterm that they have, they better be a top 5 team in the East
sick.gif
ohwell.gif

I'm sorry...did I say he made them a champion contender? I didn't think I did.

I said competitive. At one point they were 5th in the east. 5-9 in the East arent separated by that many wins/losses.

If ya'll wanna pretend like they ain't competitive then go right ahead. It's just funny people keep going back to Kwame Brown when it was either him or Tyson Chandler for #1 basically. Pick your poison.

I don't follow the Bobcats, but I thought Rod Higgins was the gm?

Back
Top Bottom