The College Basketball Post

Zach Harvey about to commit to Cincy and join for 2019.
Very odd recruitment but big get for Brannen. I have no doubt he’ll be a better coach than Cronin.

It does make me laugh he’s spent his first offseason doing the exact things UC fans have spent the last 10 years killing Xavier for and swore their coach would never do.

Still don't get why these kids keep doing this to themselves...do they think it's a 4 round draft...realistically you are fighting for like 15 to 20 spots considering all the foreigners who get drafted

Very odd recruitment but big get for Brannen. I have no doubt he’ll be a better coach than Cronin.

It does make me laugh he’s spent his first offseason doing the exact things UC fans have spent the last 10 years killing Xavier for and swore their coach would never do.
Doing what things?

Still don't get why these kids keep doing this to themselves...do they think it's a 4 round draft...realistically you are fighting for like 15 to 20 spots considering all the foreigners who get drafted

I think more prospects understand this than you think and go into the process valuing the idea of pursuing the NBA via alternative paths over going back to school. "Staying another year" isn't exactly a perfect science to lean on. I think in the past, the idea was "stay in school if you aren't ready, and if you still don't make it, you have a college degree"...and that "incentive" is starting to mean less and less.

Many of them recognize the grind in front of them of being a pro athlete in pursuit of an nba contract, and are fine going the G-League route, going overseas, etc. At the end of the day, if you're good enough...you will get there and that's a science that will never change. A good number of these guys that got drafted won't ever sign a 2nd NBA contract...and at least one of these undrafted guys are going to have a 10+ year career. It's a crap shoot all around.

A good number of these guys that got drafted won't ever sign a 2nd NBA contract...and at least one of these undrafted guys are going to have a 10+ year career. It's a crap shoot all around.

The only thing I'll say about that... is sometimes staying in school and continuing to develop, helps your chances at securing a 2nd contract (where the big money is). Some of these guys flame out quick and because they aren't ready, they don't even get a chance to showcase enough to earn that 2nd contract - esp playing against grown men.

The only thing I'll say about that... is sometimes staying in school and continuing to develop, helps your chances at securing a 2nd contract (where the big money is). Some of these guys flame out quick and because they aren't ready, they don't even get a chance to showcase enough to earn that 2nd contract - esp playing against grown men.

Yes...continuing to develop is key...and as we've seen...school IS NOT the only place to develop as a basketball player.

I'd like to think...that if a guy is in the NBA on his first contract...that he should understand what game he's playing and how to remain playing it.

The idea of simply staying in school making you "more ready"...is a myth. Don't you think if I'm in the NBA..i have the ability to develop MORE as a basketball player when it's my job to do so?

Yes...continuing to develop is key...and as we've seen...school IS NOT the only place to develop as a basketball player.

I'd like to think...that if a guy is in the NBA on his first contract...that he should understand what game he's playing and how to remain playing it.

The idea of simply staying in school making you "more ready"...is a myth. Don't you think if I'm in the NBA..i have the ability to develop MORE as a basketball player when it's my job to do so?

I think it depends. I think you do have a lot more time, but is the structure / individual coaching there? Coaches aren't gonna hold your hand, especially if you aren't signed to a 3+ year deal (like 1st rounders get). If you're taken in the 2nd round and years 2-3 on your contract are team option - then you basically have one year to prove yourself. And if you were a 2nd rounder anyway... you likely aren't getting much playing time. If you're in the G-league its even harder... no one is helping you develop there, even with your "unlimited" time.

Nick Ward is an example for MSU. He was gone no matter what, so he can start playing G-league or go to Europe if he wants... but is it completely unbelievable that had he returned, he wouldn't have developed more of a jumper and been on TV more (MSU preseason #1, playing games against UK, Duke, and possibly Kansas this season)? So was skipping his Sr year, worth the $40k he'll make in the G-league? It's a tough call, and there are no guarantees he gets drafted next year either, though.

I think it depends. I think you do have a lot more time, but is the structure / individual coaching there? Coaches aren't gonna hold your hand, especially if you aren't signed to a 3+ year deal (like 1st rounders get). If you're taken in the 2nd round and years 2-3 on your contract are team option - then you basically have one year to prove yourself. And if you were a 2nd rounder anyway... you likely aren't getting much playing time. If you're in the G-league its even harder... no one is helping you develop there, even with your "unlimited" time.

Nick Ward is an example for MSU. He was gone no matter what, so he can start playing G-league or go to Europe if he wants... but is it completely unbelievable that had he returned, he wouldn't have developed more of a jumper and been on TV more (MSU preseason #1, playing games against UK, Duke, and possibly Kansas this season)? So was skipping his Sr year, worth the $40k he'll make in the G-league? It's a tough call, and there are no guarantees he gets drafted next year either, though.

Heck, he wanted out 2 years ago. He was never coming back after this year. Even with the injuries, wasn't happening. Then he watches as XT gets his minutes. Wasn't going to accept a likely reduced role and pretty confident he wasn't into class, which as you know, is still valued by Izzo and company. Hopefully he learns another language and can dominate foreign big men. I just don't see it working out ever in the NBA for him. Hope I am wrong, just never saw it in him as many claimed to see. Sure, he dominated money ball, I will give him that :lol:

Interesting and good conversation in here.

I personally feel it’s in the best interest of the player to remain in school if they’re being projected as a 2nd rounder or potentially undrafted. Hell, I thought Nassir little should’ve stayed one more year, and I think most teams probably felt the same way as well, reasons for him falling to 25.

Some guys benefit from staying in school for a bit (donovan mitchell, buddy hield) while some guys can overstay their welcome and hurt their stock (Mcadoo, Grayson Allen)

The reality is, every single player drafted, or undrafted has to put the work in to become the best player that they can be. The opportunities will come if you prove you should be on the floor every night. I get both sides of the argument, there’s no right or wrong answer.

Interesting and good conversation in here.

I personally feel it’s in the best interest of the player to remain in school if they’re being projected as a 2nd rounder or potentially undrafted. Hell, I thought Nassir little should’ve stayed one more year, and I think most teams probably felt the same way as well, reasons for him falling to 25.

Some guys benefit from staying in school for a bit (donovan mitchell, buddy hield) while some guys can overstay their welcome and hurt their stock (Mcadoo, Grayson Allen)

The reality is, every single player drafted, or undrafted has to put the work in to become the best player that they can be. The opportunities will come if you prove you should be on the floor every night. I get both sides of the argument, there’s no right or wrong answer.
We've seen it happen both ways. In our program we had Briscoe who didn't improve in the areas he needed to and most likely never will. Then we had PJ Washington come back another year and go from second round at best to a lottery pick this year. But he did improve. What coming back for another year offered them both was another year to showcase improvement. In Briscoe's case it showed he wasn't going to be a jumpshooter and the whole country witnessed it because of being on TV all year. In PJ's case his second year back gave him a very public way to show his improvement. In his case it worked to his advantage.

Poythress would have been a low lottery or mid first round pick after his freshman season. He had some great games that year and the ones where he didn't they could be shrugged off as a freshman having a bad game. In the successive years he played those bad games aren't shrugged off and hurt your draft stock. Then he gets injured and never plugs the holes in his game.

I get the whole make it to the league thing but are they just satisfied with that first check and that's it...you gotta make sure you stick around...overseas and g league isnt what they are thinking...I know the dream is to make the League but sometimes an extra year could help...PJ is a good example...I just don't get the mindset

Jalen Suggs names Gonzaga, Minnesota, and Marquette as frontrunners.

I thought Iowa State might have a chance since he said he wanted to play both football and basketball. But I guess that's out since his top 3 don't even have football programs.

Back
Top Bottom