The College Basketball Post

Aldrich is a damn good basketball player.

Sherron went on fire there too.

OU is real solid with Blake but I'm not sure if they are a championship caliber team. It's all about match ups in March so well see.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

My God I need to go coach high school ball or somethin... I needa get back on a sideline...
laugh.gif
same here.

Good win for KU. that stretch Sherron had
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
eek.gif

laugh.gif
I'm standin in my room shouting at the TV jumpin upand down and %@!%... I still can't help myself...
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Ron's shooting lately has been on point, his range tonight though was nutttss. Ty (Shawn) came up big too (aside from banking that 3 off the glass in thefirst). Coley is still beastin' down low. And the twins contributed some good things. All in all, we gotta close out games better or that'll bite us inthe tourney. OU is solid though, ole boy Davis can stroke (and jump?!)

Ron's shooting lately has been on point, his range tonight though was nutttss. Ty (Shawn) came up big too (aside from banking that 3 off the glass in thefirst). Coley is still beastin' down low. And the twins contributed some good things. All in all, we gotta close out games better or that'll bite us inthe tourney. OU is solid though, ole boy Davis can stroke (and jump?!)

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

Well...we're in first place, but I'm not all too happy with this win. When you're up by 20 you gotta clamp down on their throat til they can't breath anymore.

Oh yeah, Mizzou won't get within 15 of us at Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday.
Not trying to be an a**, but the game is on Sunday. Should be on CBS too.

I would be very surprised to see Mizzou come into Lawrence and win, but it is certainly not out of the question - ku did not play very well in the firstmatchup, but Mizzou played even worse. If Mizzou can bring their A game (outside shots falling) then it will be much closer than 15.

trocchi_bill.jpg

[h4]5 things we learned from BracketBusters[/h4]

Views 15102 Comments 7
hayward.jpg

At 6-8, Butler wing Gordon Hayward is a difficult matchup.
AP

1. Davidson must win its conference tournament to go to the NCAAs. Stephen Curry clearly wasn't at his best against Butler, missing his first eight shots and struggling to a 6-for-23 afternoon in Davidson's 75-63 loss (RECAP | BOX). The Wildcats missed another opportunity for a quality win, dropping to 1-4 against teams in the RPI top 50. Davidson's RPI was 56 entering Saturday and will likely drop into the 60s. Three more regular season games against UNCG (No. 319), Georgia Southern (No. 291) and Elon (No. 253) are going to drop that RPI further even with wins. CBS will be pulling hard for the Wildcats to win three straight at the Southern Conference in Chattanooga on March 7-9.

2. Butler does not. There were slight murmurs about Butler limping to the finish after two straight Horizon losses, but there is not one major conference team that wants to see Butler in its bracket on Selection Sunday. They don't look impressive athletically, but the Bulldogs spread the floor brilliantly, have multiple three-point threats and play grit-your-teeth defense that never takes a possession off. Freshman Gordon Hayward is a difficult matchup as a 6-foot-8 perimeter player, and sophomore Matt Howard is nasty in the post. Butler will be in the tournament again, and will be a royal pain in the you-know-what again to whoever they match up against (ask Bruce Pearl what he thought of watching Butler take his Vols to OT last year in the second round).

3. St. Mary's has found a (temporary) replacement for Patrick Mills. Sophomore Michey McConnell started his fourth straight game in place of the talented Mills, and the Gaels are 3-1 with only a two-point loss to Gonzaga in that span. McConnell scored a career-high 22 points in St. Mary's critical 75-64 win over WAC-leader Utah State on Saturday. McConnell is 7-for-11 from three in the last four games, taking advantage of the attention paid to St. Mary's tough frontcourt duo of Omar Samhan and Diamon Simpson. Mills is expected to return for the WCC tournament, and McConnell's stellar fill-in play may get the Gaels a bid even if they fail to beat Gonzaga in the WCC tournament. St. Mary's improved to 22-5 and its RPI of 61 will climb.

4. Vermont would be a good Cinderella pick for your office pool. The Catamounts have quietly won 13 of 14 to move into first in the America East, and showed they could go out of conference quiet nicely with a 78-70 win over surprising MAC favorite Buffalo. Senior Mike Trimboli is a quality point guard, and Marqus Blakely is an athletic beast in the paint who leads the conference in blocks and steals and is second in rebounding. Vermont shoots the three well, generally takes care of the ball and didn't panic despite a 19-6 early deficit against the Bulls.

5. Things are down in the Valley. After nine straight years of getting multiple NCAA bids from 1999-2007, the Missouri Valley Conference is looking like a one-bid league for the second consecutive season unless Creighton can somehow sneak in. The Bluejays helped themselves with a home win over George Mason, but the other two league contenders -- Illinois State and Northern Iowa -- both lost over the weekend to MAAC teams, hurting the league's overall perception.

Willie Warren and Tyreke Evans.

I'm gonna need y'all to stay for your Sophomore yr.

Please?
embarassed.gif

And I would like to offer a mini-apology to the kid Chris Wright. I'm not 100% buying in yet, but he's been playing some great ball.

I'd still bet on Dajuan going pro. From what I hear he really doesn't want to play another year under JT3.

He reminds me of Mareese Speights from last year. Talented, yet underwhelming underclassman who played for an underachieving team that probably SHOULD returnfor another year but will test the waters and end up having solid workouts and get taken somewhere in the first round.

DaJuan could go Round 1 just off his frame and ability to shoot the 3.

But when you can't dribble, pass, defend or impact the game in any way other than shoot..at the 3 on the NBA level, it spells disaster.

Finally watched the Carolina vs Maryland game from Saturday. All i can say is that Lawson & (maybe Danny Green)
should be the only dude on that squad taking shots unless its a wide open lay-up in the last 5 minutes
of any close game for the rest of the season. There was no reason for Carolina to lose that game.

They deserved to lose letting Maryland shoot all those wide open 3's in the 2nd half & Hansbrough doesn't belong on any All-American
teams, maybe honorable mention AA. He has regressed something terrible this year. He was ghost in the 2nd half, along with Ellington & Green. I seeCarolina losing in the Elite 8 or unless Tyler H decides to stop being a vagina.

The refs in that game
laugh.gif
were calling some ridiculous stuff too both ways.

Can you still do that re-apply thing that Gunna did?

I hope they could dust off the OG alleninxis

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Can you still do that re-apply thing that Gunna did?

I hope they could dust off the OG alleninxis
You're gonna have to wait until the end of the year and hope that they are in the holiday spirit. Then you have to explain why you want thatname back, get some co-signers along with having no bans/warnings for the whole year. I'm trying to get my OG name back as well.

I think that Flynn needs an extra year. This death march exposed flaws in his game.

Flynn is gonna dunk on Boothe tonight like he did that dude on Rutgers. Hopefully this is a competitive game at least.

PG contingency plans for Duke and Memphis

Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting
Both Duke and Memphis would love to land John Wall, the No. 1 prospect and point guard in the country. However, each school is working on a contingency plan incase it doesn't sign Wall.

DARIUSSMITH7_28B200.JPG

Interest in Darius Smith from both Duke and Memphis could be picking up.

Memphis has been tracking Birmingham (Ala.) Parker point guard Eric Bledsoe, who is the highest-ranked unsigned point guard behind Wall. Then on Friday night,Duke assistant coach Nate James watched Bledsoe lead his team into the final four of the Alabama state playoffs. Bledsoe has offers from Cincinnati, Florida,Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and UAB.

Duke and Memphis have also been rumored to have offered the third highest-ranked unsigned point guard, Darius Smith of Chicago Marshall High School. Marshallcoach Henry Cotton, however, told Rivals.com that Duke and Memphis have called on Smith but haven't offered yet.

Smith, who already has offers from Arizona, Arizona State, DePaul, Indiana, Kentucky, Marquette and Iowa, is having a stellar senior season, averaging 23points, six rebounds, five assists and five steals.

GEORGETOWN PUSHING FOR BIG MEN

Brandon Bass Elite travel team coach Scooter Owens says Georgetown is making a heavy push for five-star Latavious Williams of Humble (Texas) Christian LifeCenter.

In fact, the Hoyas are making a strong run against Memphis for the top spot on Williams' school list, and the Hoyas have passed Baylor. Bears coach ScottDrew watched Williams play last week.

Georgetown is in jeopardy of losing both Greg Monroe and DaJuan Summers to the NBA draft. Georgetown only has one prospect signed in the 2009 class, four-starsmall forward Hollis Thompson.

Georgetown is also pursuing Roscoe Davis, who is attending Goldsboro (N.C.) Charis Prep after failing to qualify academically to play for West Virginia thisyear.

UNC'S SEARCH FOR A SMALL FORWARD

North Carolina coach Roy Williams would love to land his No. 1 target, Harrison Barnes, with his remaining scholarship for the 2010 class. However, the TarHeels aren't counting on landing the heavily coveted elite prospect.

Friday night, North Carolina was at five-star small forward Roscoe Smith's game. Casey Prather, another highly ranked small forward, is expecting a NorthCarolina assistant coach at his district championship game on Tuesday. Georgia Tech is also expected to be at the game.

MIAMI STARTING EARLY

ISMAILADAUDA2_23200.JPG

Class of 2012 big man Ismaila Dauda committed to Miami.
Miami started out the week by dipping into the freshman and sophomore classes for commitments.

Out of the 2012 class, the Hurricanes picked up Ismaila Dauda, a 6-foot-10 center from Kissimmee (Fla.) Life Academy. Dauda was also offered by Arkansas, buthe didn't take to the December weather he experienced on his unofficial visit, Life Academy coach Bernard Wright said.

Out of the 2011 class, Miami landed Piney Woods (Miss.) High School power forward Yvan Ngirabakunzi. Piney Woods coach Lemuel Jones says Ngirabakunzi is aface-up 4 man with a quality shooting touch.

OREGON STATE ROLLING

Coach Craig Robinson has the Oregon State program moving in the right direction.

In the past week Oregon State landed a couple of Australians playing in the United States. Angus Brandt, a 6-10 center out of Lake Forest (Ill.) Academy, and6-7 small forward Rhys Murphy of Lee (Maine) Academy join four-star prospects Jared Cunningham and Roberto Nelson and three-star prospect Joe Burton in whatwill likely be a top-25 recruiting class.

FREE THROWS

The finalists for the Naismith Player of the Year Award were announced Monday. The five finalists are John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Derrick Favors, KennyBoynton and Renardo Sidney.

Stanford, Washington State, Utah and BYU all watched 2010 shooting guard Kyle Collinsworth of Provo (Utah) High play last week.

A couple of teammates from the Full Court Athletes travel team out of Texas picked up scholarship offers last week. T.J. Taylor, a class of 2010 shootingguard, now has offers from Arizona State and Texas A&M. Taylor has been heavily involved with Oklahoma over the past year. Rickey Scott, also a 2010shooting guard, picked up offers from Drake and Nevada to go along with offers from Baylor, Marquette, Texas Tech and others.

North Carolina State is scheduled to watch point guard Vincent Williams of Homestead (Fla.) South Dade on March 6. Williams will visit UAB this week for itsshowdown against Memphis.

Melvin Ejim, a junior small forward, is playing better basketball for Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy. Coach Jason Smith has been impressed with Ejim'sslashing ability and versatility on defense. Ejim has unofficially visited both Iowa State and Boston College this year.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

I'd still bet on Dajuan going pro. From what I hear he really doesn't want to play another year under JT3.

He reminds me of Mareese Speights from last year. Talented, yet underwhelming underclassman who played for an underachieving team that probably SHOULD return for another year but will test the waters and end up having solid workouts and get taken somewhere in the first round.
You think he's still a lock for the 1st round at this point? It was hard to watch him play last night. He has ZERO confidence in whathe's doing out there. He looked extremely disinterested the whole time. Saying he was going thru the motions would be a compliment, but he didn'teven do that. I really think he's gonna bounce, but I am not sold on him going in round 1. He's gonna have to dominate in pre-draft camps andindividual workouts. Son really needs a strong finish to the season and do well in the BET, NIT, or if a miracle happens...the NCAA's. Scouts are gonnanotice the disappearing act he is pulling. I mean, I don't know what it was but homie was straight shook of that Louisiville D. Settling for jumpersetc...he was killing G'Town in a bad way. I just expect more out of a junior in a JT3 system.

All I know is that if I was Chris Wright, I would be pissed off that some of the upperclassmen lack the drive and heart to AT LEAST be competitive. Wrightdidn't shoot the rock real well, but there is no way you couldn't tell me that he wasn't into the game. Dude was playing with great pride everyminute he was out there. I hope Monroe sticks around for one more season, because the duo of him and Wright could be something special.

III has to address some of the depth issues. There isn't anyway that Haddad or Mesherekov(sp?) should be seeing the floor getting regular minutes. It's a young team, so they will only get better in the long run. They are taking their lumps, but it's going to be interesting to see how the rest ofthe season plays out.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

PG contingency plans for Duke and Memphis

Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting
Both Duke and Memphis would love to land John Wall, the No. 1 prospect and point guard in the country. However, each school is working on a contingency plan in case it doesn't sign Wall.

DARIUSSMITH7_28B200.JPG

Interest in Darius Smith from both Duke and Memphis could be picking up.

Memphis has been tracking Birmingham (Ala.) Parker point guard Eric Bledsoe, who is the highest-ranked unsigned point guard behind Wall. Then on Friday night, Duke assistant coach Nate James watched Bledsoe lead his team into the final four of the Alabama state playoffs. Bledsoe has offers from Cincinnati, Florida, Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and UAB.

Duke and Memphis have also been rumored to have offered the third highest-ranked unsigned point guard, Darius Smith of Chicago Marshall High School. Marshall coach Henry Cotton, however, told Rivals.com that Duke and Memphis have called on Smith but haven't offered yet.

Smith, who already has offers from Arizona, Arizona State, DePaul, Indiana, Kentucky, Marquette and Iowa, is having a stellar senior season, averaging 23 points, six rebounds, five assists and five steals.

GEORGETOWN PUSHING FOR BIG MEN

Brandon Bass Elite travel team coach Scooter Owens says Georgetown is making a heavy push for five-star Latavious Williams of Humble (Texas) Christian Life Center.

In fact, the Hoyas are making a strong run against Memphis for the top spot on Williams' school list, and the Hoyas have passed Baylor. Bears coach Scott Drew watched Williams play last week.

Georgetown is in jeopardy of losing both Greg Monroe and DaJuan Summers to the NBA draft. Georgetown only has one prospect signed in the 2009 class, four-star small forward Hollis Thompson.

Georgetown is also pursuing Roscoe Davis, who is attending Goldsboro (N.C.) Charis Prep after failing to qualify academically to play for West Virginia this year.

UNC'S SEARCH FOR A SMALL FORWARD

North Carolina coach Roy Williams would love to land his No. 1 target, Harrison Barnes, with his remaining scholarship for the 2010 class. However, the Tar Heels aren't counting on landing the heavily coveted elite prospect.

Friday night, North Carolina was at five-star small forward Roscoe Smith's game. Casey Prather, another highly ranked small forward, is expecting a North Carolina assistant coach at his district championship game on Tuesday. Georgia Tech is also expected to be at the game.

Darius being from the crib... If it comes down to it... I hope he doesn't attempt to follow in Pooh's footsteps and Take His @*+ To Duke.

smh.gif
@ Gtown constantly on the verge of signing a legit 6-10 every yr

Ros better not be a vagina and go to UNC, I'd rather he stayed at home with the hoyas as well.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

He reminds me of Mareese Speights from last year. Talented, yet underwhelming underclassman who played for an underachieving team that probably SHOULD return for another year but will test the waters and end up having solid workouts and get taken somewhere in the first round.
You think he's still a lock for the 1st round at this point?
Have you seen the draft pool? Name 30 players better than him right now...or 30 players with more potential that are coming out next year.He's a first round pick by default.
smh.gif
@ Gtown constantly on the verge of signing a legit 6-10 every yr
Latvaious has ties to the DC/MD area also...he went to one of those "basketball factories" but talent is talent so I guess weweren't afraid to touch him.

Roscoe Davis is another one of my former school's defects. He's no better than Vaughn but you can't coach 6'10 so I'd love to have him.

Back
Top Bottom