The Debt Ceiling and the Failure of the American Government

What do we need these clowns for? Absolutely disgusting. More political theater.

[h1]Boehner Calls Off Debt Ceiling Negotiations With Obama[/h1]
obama_debt_showdown_8109025_custom.jpg

Minutes after House Speaker John Boehner went on Fox to announce there "was no deal" on raising the debt ceiling, President Obama called his own press conference to confirm that Boehner had walked away from the negotiating table.

The president said it was "hard to understand" why Boehner would walk away.

In his interview with Fox, Boehner said he would now start negotiations with the Senate.

The president, in the hastily called press conference, said "time has run out." He said he has called Boehner, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) and Minority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) to the White House for a meeting at 11 AM ET Saturday.

Boehner told Fox Obama was trying to raise taxes too much and would not make "fundamental changes" to entitlement programs.

Obama said the deal on the table was generous toward Republicans. Obama said this was not a typical Washington "food fight" and " a lot of Democrats stepped up in ways that were not advantageous politically."

"I was willing to take heat," he said.

Update at 6:35 p.m. ET. Boehner's Letter:

In a letter Boehner sent to House members, he said "the White House is simply not serious about ending the spending binge that is destroying jobs and endangering our children's future."

Boehner said he and the president were never "really close" to a deal and because President Obama was emphatic that "taxes have to be raised" and that "we cannot make fundamental changes to our entitlement programs," he walked away from discussions.

Update at 6:41 p.m. ET. A Bit More On The Plan From Obama:

President Obama laid out a sketch of the terms he and Boehner were working on. He said the plan included $1 trillion in domestic and defense cuts and $650 billion in cuts to entitlement programs.

The part that Boehner objected to came in the way of $1.2 trillion in revenue increases that the president said "could be accomplished by eliminating loopholes and deductions" in a "tax reform process."

The president said the tax increases were less than what the bi-partisan "Gang of Six" plan called for. Obama said it was an "extraordinarily fair deal."

Update at 7:27 p.m. ET. Boehner: President Changed Terms At Last Minute:

In his own hastily called press conference, Boehner said the impasse came when President Obama asked for more in the way of increased revenue. He said the president had agreed to $800 billion in increased revenue and at the "last minute" he "demanded more money."

"The extra 400 billion would have come [from] increasing taxes," said Boehner. "They refused to get serious about cutting spending and making the tough choices that are facing our country on entitlement reform."

So what happens next? If Washington does not come to an agreement by Aug. 2, the White House said the country would default on its debt.

Boehner said he and the president had not talked about a deal that just raised the debt ceiling. But he said he would work with congressional leaders "for a path forward."

"I'm confident," he said, "Congress can act and not compromise the full faith and credit of the United States."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/...-broken-off-negotiations

What do republicans have to gain by letting the country default? So they can say "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" Someone help me understand this.

This entire ordeal has made me lose any spec of respect for the government on both sides. In a way I hope that the debt ceiling isn't raised so programs are cut, loans harder to get, inflation and then maybe people around the country will get angry and realize the garbage they are continuing to eat day in and day out. Maybe then they will get off the couch and from around the desks and do something.
tired.gif

"Either do it or don't. I got somewhere to be."

The republicans went on record after gaining majority in the house saying they will not support anything obama so why are you surprised? Their hate for him is more than they care about us.

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

The republicans went on record after gaining majority in the house saying they will not support anything obama so why are you surprised? Their hate for him is more than they care about us.

This
Its been said time after time that they want Obama out and they will act  a +!! till its over. All they are doing that the end of the day is making themselves look bad

Even though this statement supports politicking (which I vehemently oppose) I think it should be said.
Because they left the negotiating table, the benefits checks for august won't go out and so it would allow Obama to steal the 65+ vote, a vote that majority goes to the Republicans.

But I agree, there should be some kind of political reform. Not in the legal sense where laws are enacted but in general a kind of social awakening that makes way for people legitimately doing what they think is right for the country (in the dutch or swiss style preferably. They do really good things for their respective countries.)

I also wish direct democracy should be enacted for the presidential vote.

Originally Posted by Weekz

When people say things like this they have no idea the ramifications if it were enacted.

Even if it's not raised , there will be no default on the debt payments. There may be default on some internal obligations but not on the debt.

This is all a show. Just theater.

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

Originally Posted by AR Guy

Originally Posted by Weekz

When people say things like this they have no idea the ramifications if it were enacted.

And....?

You do know that 8 states account for over half of the US population right? The system we have now isn't perfect by any means but its better than any alternative. 

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

This
Its been said time after time that they want Obama out and they will act  a +!! till its over. All they are doing that the end of the day is making themselves look bad
qft

Repubs are doing exactly what people elected them to do. That's what people voted for. All I can do is shake my head, especially at the government workers and 65+ people that voted Republican.

I have this friend at my job that used to tell me how her friends working for the government used to email her anti-Obama stuff and she used to get annoyed by it.  It was ironic when her friends were laid off due to budget cuts that the Republicans wanted. 

Originally Posted by cguy610

Repubs are doing exactly what people elected them to do. That's what people voted for. All I can do is shake my head, especially at the government workers and 65+ people that voted Republican.

I have this friend at my job that used to tell me how her friends working for the government used to email her anti-Obama stuff and she used to get annoyed by it.  It was ironic when her friends were laid off due to budget cuts that the Republicans wanted. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Talk about irony. 

The United States is going downhill and anyone who is breathing at this very moment is witnessing an empire's ultimate demise. 
Protip: You better start learning Mandarin, people... because the Chinese own us.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Coogi Sweaters

What do we need these clowns for? Absolutely disgusting. More political theater.

[h1]Boehner Calls Off Debt Ceiling Negotiations With Obama[/h1]
obama_debt_showdown_8109025_custom.jpg

Minutes after House Speaker John Boehner went on Fox to announce there "was no deal" on raising the debt ceiling, President Obama called his own press conference to confirm that Boehner had walked away from the negotiating table.

The president said it was "hard to understand" why Boehner would walk away.

In his interview with Fox, Boehner said he would now start negotiations with the Senate.

The president, in the hastily called press conference, said "time has run out." He said he has called Boehner, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) and Minority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) to the White House for a meeting at 11 AM ET Saturday.

Boehner told Fox Obama was trying to raise taxes too much and would not make "fundamental changes" to entitlement programs.

Obama said the deal on the table was generous toward Republicans. Obama said this was not a typical Washington "food fight" and " a lot of Democrats stepped up in ways that were not advantageous politically."

"I was willing to take heat," he said.

Update at 6:35 p.m. ET. Boehner's Letter:

In a letter Boehner sent to House members, he said "the White House is simply not serious about ending the spending binge that is destroying jobs and endangering our children's future."

Boehner said he and the president were never "really close" to a deal and because President Obama was emphatic that "taxes have to be raised" and that "we cannot make fundamental changes to our entitlement programs," he walked away from discussions.

Update at 6:41 p.m. ET. A Bit More On The Plan From Obama:

President Obama laid out a sketch of the terms he and Boehner were working on. He said the plan included $1 trillion in domestic and defense cuts and $650 billion in cuts to entitlement programs.

The part that Boehner objected to came in the way of $1.2 trillion in revenue increases that the president said "could be accomplished by eliminating loopholes and deductions" in a "tax reform process."

The president said the tax increases were less than what the bi-partisan "Gang of Six" plan called for. Obama said it was an "extraordinarily fair deal."

Update at 7:27 p.m. ET. Boehner: President Changed Terms At Last Minute:

In his own hastily called press conference, Boehner said the impasse came when President Obama asked for more in the way of increased revenue. He said the president had agreed to $800 billion in increased revenue and at the "last minute" he "demanded more money."

"The extra 400 billion would have come [from] increasing taxes," said Boehner. "They refused to get serious about cutting spending and making the tough choices that are facing our country on entitlement reform."

So what happens next? If Washington does not come to an agreement by Aug. 2, the White House said the country would default on its debt.

Boehner said he and the president had not talked about a deal that just raised the debt ceiling. But he said he would work with congressional leaders "for a path forward."

"I'm confident," he said, "Congress can act and not compromise the full faith and credit of the United States."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/...-broken-off-negotiations
What do republicans have to gain by letting the country default? So they can say "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" Someone help me understand this.

This entire ordeal has made me lose any spec of respect for the government on both sides. In a way I hope that the debt ceiling isn't raised so programs are cut, loans harder to get, inflation and then maybe people around the country will get angry and realize the garbage they are continuing to eat day in and day out. Maybe then they will get off the couch and from around the desks and do something.
tired.gif

"Either do it or don't. I got somewhere to be."

Even when they do get a deal at the 11th hour, it's going to be a half way deal like the bailouts and the health care bill.  That's the new game played that they pretend like they aren't making progress, get everyone riled up and then miraculously come out with something amazing.  Even if they do pass something, nobody is proposing anything more than $3T in cuts over a 10 year period.  To put that into perspective, we are going $1.5T further into debt each year under Obama and averaged another $500B under Bush.

Originally Posted by Doctor Demise

The United States is going downhill and anyone who is breathing at this very moment is witnessing an empire's ultimate demise. 
Protip: You better start learning Mandarin, people... because the Chinese own us.
ohwell.gif

This actually a pretty false statement. Think about it like this; when you owe the bank $100,000 the bank owns you, but when you owe the bank $100,000,000 you own the bank.

ohwell.gif

This actually a pretty false statement. Think about it like this; when you owe the bank $100,000 the bank owns you, but when you owe the bank $100,000,000 you own the bank.
^ Sorta...

But the Chinese can have claims on their assets and they can demand them to have more things.  The US needs the Chinese just as much as the Chinese needs them.  They have money lent out to the US and the US have huge business interest in China. 

Damn straight. This dudes in office sitting pretty making dough and we're the ones struggling and will continue to be the only ones that struggle while these douche bags kick and scratch.

Note to politicians: You're supposed to be working for us you idiots. You're supposed to be in it for our best interest. You were voted by the people so serve the people. Idiots. If you all think there isn't more going on behind the scenes then you're fooling yourself.  

not too many people really understand the magnitude of this event...

The US CANNOT default right now... ww 3, 4 and 5 would start ASAP..

the worlds reserve currency cannot be deemed WORTHLESS just yet..

the world is a stage and many people arent even tuned in.

its all a show, they'll kick the can down the road further which means the DEFAULT WILL BE WORST WITH EACH INCREASE... lololololol...

get your GOD GOLD and GUNS

premium3G coming 2012

Its theater to disguise what's really going on. Anyone who's read the art of war can see the similarities

ohwell.gif

I have a nasty habit of going beyond my limits of this message board so I'll give you this piece of advice plain and simple: Take a few economics courses and reread your post in 3 semesters. 

Additionally, put down that French, German or Spanish textbook and grab one of these: 

chinese-mandarin-audio-cd-course-educational-services-cover-art.jpg

You are going to need it if you want to compete in the global economy in the next decade or two.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by jonas c8891

ohwell.gif

^ Sorta...

But the Chinese can have claims on their assets and they can demand them to have more things.  The US needs the Chinese just as much as the Chinese needs them.  They have money lent out to the US and the US have huge business interest in China. 
This is more what I was getting at. People act as if the Chinese are doing us a favor when in fact the relationship is a lot more mutual than not.

Back
Top Bottom