the end of an era :: social study is closing its doors

Made the trip once and looked forward to going again when I had some down time.

Retail brick'n mortar is a dying business model. Sure, it makes a better experience for the customer (they can touch and feel), but the overhead makes ittough when you consider the already low profit margins.

Think about it, you've GOT to keep the store looking stocked even if you don't have alot of traffic. With the internet, as you can adjust yourinventory levels JIT (just in time) when the demand is their.

Now, being a manufacturer /mass producer and having a bricks n' mortar location is a bit better (think old navy, gap, ).

what i dont understand is how stores like social study and kickballers close down but major stays open. major has the worst customer service ever imo. i willtry to make it up to social study by the end of this week. i hope they can make a comeback later on

^^idk wat ur talkin about with majors service, everytime ive been in there they're always real helpful and chill

sucks seein such a sick place going down, been going there for years
just went there friday, not too much left

Originally Posted by sbib1130

what i dont understand is how stores like social study and kickballers close down but major stays open. major has the worst customer service ever imo. i will try to make it up to social study by the end of this week. i hope they can make a comeback later on

I cant agree more, i have been in there a few times an every time i was there just seem like they didnt want a sale. I guess its hit or miss when you go inthere, depends who is working
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by pyroboy

^^idk wat ur talkin about with majors service, everytime ive been in there they're always real helpful and chill
you sure you're talking about the same MAJOR?

MAJOR DC???

in the words of my homie Clay Davis "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit"

Social Study was def the best store in the area. I've definitely treked out there from baltimore cuz they have excellent customer service and greatclothing.

I felt something was off last time i went there when there wasnt any "new" clothing or shoes.

*cues Frank Sinatra*

what i dont understand is how stores like social study and kickballers close down but major stays open. major has the worst customer service ever imo. i will try to make it up to social study by the end of this week. i hope they can make a comeback later on

Major is into other things now as well as selling kicks. They are promoting events. Not sure what types but I know I get invites on Facebook all the time forthem.

As for Mom and Pop shops... I can't lay the blame ALL the way on them OR all the way on Nike...

Nike makes you purchase a certain amount of Inventory to carrry the good stuff...and some people have to put that other stuff on Clearance right away to clearthemselves of it. Some do smart stuff, altho not always legal like selling some of that inventory off to Online Retailers who sell bargain stuff...

But if you can handle holding on to ALL that inventory and paying rent.. I guess you can survive. Mom and Pops cant take loans out like that for SneakerShops. Banks dont see that as viable. You gotta have a niche.. not just exclusives. Obviously this store stood out to many because of Customer Service andit shows in the posts alone that CS can go a long way.

I am surprised to hear so many people have a bad experience at Major when going there. U.D. is always helpful when I go in but I havent been in over a yearsince all that inventory was sitting upstairs in their lounge area. Did that ever clear out? or do people speak of the sales folks they hire?

Oh well.. I wish the rest of a dying bread the best of luck, cause it aint going to get any easier with HoH's popping up and not sharing releases with theMom and Pop shops. There would be a way to make them viable and relative still but thats a partnership Nike's got to be willing to go forward with.

Like Mom and Pop exclusives. Not just Undefeated and Clarke Kent Collabs.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

U.D. is always helpful when I go in but I havent been in over a year since all that inventory was sitting upstairs in their lounge area.

UD hasnt worked there in over half a year or so.....

Sad to see them go. Couldn't get up there as often as I would have liked, but when I did it was nothing less than a great experience. Best of luck to thecrew there, I hope you all land on your feet.

Damn, I hate to see a business close regardless of what type it is. Hopefully they bounce back sooner or later.

I just hope their balance sheet, income statements, etc. aren't too far on the wrong side.

Most businesses wait a little too late.

I guess if they auctioned their Yeezys it may have helped a little.

Good guys finish last FTL.

Let me start by saying this post is based solely off of my personal assessment. I don't have any inside knowledge, so there is no need to sick the houndson me.

I personally haven't had a problem with CS in Major, but where there is smoke there is fire.

One of the keys to a niche market is how many eyes and PURCHASES can you get from people outside of the niche. Both Major and Cmonwealth have placed themselvesin areas that get them looks from "regular people." Based on shear numbers alone, Major's G-town location probably provides more regular peoplevisits than Cmonwealth. Another thing to consider about Major is that their store doesn't look much different than some of the other stores around them,but they have nicer stuff. The store is cluttered to us, because we remember differently and because most boutiques are clean and minimal. If you went throughthere yesterday for the first time, it would just be what it is. In my eyes, the biggest thing that could lead to their downfall is not CS, it's holding onto so much inventory. Having shelves filled with product eventually costs more than whatever you "lose" on discounting it.

Cmonwealth has done an excellent job of brand building, along with the subsequent additions of Stussy and FTGG to their portfolio, to move to the forefront ofthis market. And even though Cmonwealth is in more a destination location (meaning they are the reason you are going to the area), there is still enough"regular people" traffic to keep them in black. I would add to Cmonwealth's equation that aligning themselves (or whichever way it happened)with people like Wale has had a profound effect on how people view them in this area; especially Stussy. At this point, their biggest risk is losing all thesenew found lovers to the next hot trend. I realize that is a risk they both stores share, but I see lot of folks wearing Stussy today that didn't yesterday.Trying to figure out how many are wearing the brand because they really like it will be an interesting study over the next year or so.

Let's also not forget that both of these stores played a major role in the decline of Social Study. For those of you to have been in this since SocialStudy was the first and only, the trip to Frederick was a mandatory endeavour. Now that there are locations that have much of the same products, is it reallynecessary to go to Frederick?

What about Nike rearranging the Air Force One program and creating the Tier Program as well as the decline of the dunk and recent suspect list of quickstrikedesigns. I think that played a role for the sneaker boutique decline. I am not solely blame the great Swish just asking if you guys think that was a majorfactor?

Two great reads back to back.

"Scott Scotch,"

I agree with your "destination" stance. Me being from Uptown, I just get a kick of how that area around Commonwealth came about and how"nice" it looks now. Same with the Norfolk location (wife is from Norfolk). So I always go up there just cause, and I'm always welcomed.

Although I know the "Florida Ave to P St. 5 min. curves and turns shortcut" from C'mon to Major (Ask "Badgeman," its only 5 minutes, Ishowed him lol), I have no reason to go to Major and fight for parking or see the same products that DTLR/Shoe City/Ubiq have on sale for cheaper. So, last 14months or so, I U-turn my black tail back up Petworth. Nothing personal, it just is what it is. A drastic change from 3 years ago, but.........

In the words of Biggie, "Things Done Changed".

That '97 - '03" era seems like ancient history now.
smh.gif

And it wasn't that long ago. When you got Flocker Inc.closing stores left and right (a major label), independents are a'ed out.

Just like hip-hop, I'll reflect on the golden era and keep it moving.

I just don't see any Juve ('bout to bounce back) with any of these stores...

Time to put on the GOLDBERG WCW t-shirt... Who's Next?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Rocky is worst than Jet Magazine sometimes.

roll.gif

bruh you aint lying... wow.. What happened with UD being gone from there??? Is there another partner with Duk-ki now? Or is Duk-ki doing Major AND all thosePromotions?

Goood night.

I liked Scotts assessment on the situtation as well.

I do hope they aren't sitting on alot of inventory.... that would suck.. cause most of its probably unmoveable. Most places need to open up Pseudo ebayaccounts to help move merchandise. hell Eastbay does it. None of you have happened to get kicks from the same address as Eastbay under a different name andthought nothing of it?

You'd be surprised how many retail amangers offload inventory from stockrooms making them look good and helping out others in the process. Some hel;purchase the volume some retailers get Since we all know Nike demands you buy certain quantities in order to get certain product.

Its a business man. Fing the Small guys in the process.

1. It is not the end of an era, Social Studies was supposed to be the "cool guy" spot for that part of town and most of ya'll never been outthere more than 2 or 3 times. The owner of Pitcrew thought he would get in on the action of the boutique thing that was starting to boom at the time, and nowthat the markets for everything has been affected he needs to cut his loses, cuz nobody is lining up for SB's anymmore.

2. You cannot... in no way shape or form, blame the closing of Social on any other store they are too far away to be affected by Major or Cmon. Social was inFrederick to service that area, Frederick. >
3. Commonwealth has only done one thing to build their brand and that is giving away free fitted hats away to any and everybody and having in-stores with Waleand the Clipse and that helps the artist and not the store. If you haven't notice how fast they put everything on sale, it should not be long for themeither being as though they lost their Nike account, and the area they are located in is not a destination location, no foot traffic, no vehicular trafficbecause its nowhere to park. Then you have three stores selling pretty much the same product next door to each doesn't help either, I stopped at Cmonwealthat 2pm on a weekday and the door was locked, how do you make money to pay bills. I'm sure if Chad is backing Cmon he isn't in it to lose money.

4. Major does not promote parties that is another company called DC Major not associated with Major. UD's decision to leave was one of haste, he thoughtworking there would be like not working but it turned into real work and he didn't know how to voice how he felt about the way things were being done plushe is still young. As far as customer service goes if you work in a store that gets people from all over the place and hit you with some of the dumbestquestions then you would get pissed when you hear the same thing for 8 hours, and thats dumb questions from hood cats to tourists to Gtown snobs, against beingin a store that gets little to no traffic you are going to treat customers like they are gold. The reason you can't get the same mall price in Majorbecause stores like DTLR and Shoe City order way more product, that shouldn't be hard to figure out. Don't look for this spot to close no time soon itstoo much going on, on the side ya'll don't see. 5. You dudes are funny... open your own spot, any kind of business and see how hard it is to stay upand running with the economy going down even further. The US dollar losing value. People holding on to what ever money they come across, and you to will findout what first in and first out mean. Then will you be sitting on a forum trying to figure out where things went wrong.

2. You cannot... in no way shape or form, blame the closing of Social on any other store they are too far away to be affected by Major or Cmon. Social was in Frederick to service that area, Frederick. >

While they may not have been opened for the purpose of serving Baltimore, D.C., and Northern Virginia; due to the lack of similar stores in the region theyreceived a lot of business from there and I'm sure it helped them stay open.

5. You dudes are funny... open your own spot, any kind of business and see how hard it is to stay up and running with the economy going down even further.

No one said anything about them being able to run a store. Most of the posts were about how Nike is screwing over these small stores and forcing them intoquestionable practices.

The reason you can't get the same mall price in Major because stores like DTLR and Shoe City order way more product, that shouldn't be hard to figure out. Don't look for this spot to close no time soon its too much going on, on the side ya'll don't see.

You sound extremely disgruntled and like you're trying to argue a point even though there are numerous posts prior to yours making the same point. It justseems like you're mad that you didn't get to say it first.

Anywhoo, just got back from Social Study. Picked up some Uptempo's. They still had some Penny III's, some of the burnt Orange 95's and some otherstuff. Wish I would've picked up some of the Chucks for $20 and change.

The owner of Pitcrew

no.
they are too far away to be affected by Major or Cmon.
nope!
Commonwealth has only done one thing to build their brand and that is giving away free fitted hats away
nah.
in-stores with Wale and the Clipse helps the artist and not the store.
definitely not.

if you work in a store that gets people from all over the place and hit you with some of the dumbest questions then you would get pissed when you hear the same thing for 8 hours
wrong again!

Anywhoo, just got back from Social Study. Picked up some Uptempo's.
glad i could help you out man. my last official sale and i wasn't even on the clock. cold world.

Originally Posted by Billy Jacobs

1. It is not the end of an era, Social Studies was supposed to be the "cool guy" spot for that part of town and most of ya'll never been out there more than 2 or 3 times. The owner of Pitcrew thought he would get in on the action of the boutique thing that was starting to boom at the time, and now that the markets for everything has been affected he needs to cut his loses, cuz nobody is lining up for SB's anymmore.

2. You cannot... in no way shape or form, blame the closing of Social on any other store they are too far away to be affected by Major or Cmon. Social was in Frederick to service that area, Frederick. >
3. Commonwealth has only done one thing to build their brand and that is giving away free fitted hats away to any and everybody and having in-stores with Wale and the Clipse and that helps the artist and not the store. If you haven't notice how fast they put everything on sale, it should not be long for them either being as though they lost their Nike account, and the area they are located in is not a destination location, no foot traffic, no vehicular traffic because its nowhere to park. Then you have three stores selling pretty much the same product next door to each doesn't help either, I stopped at Cmonwealth at 2pm on a weekday and the door was locked, how do you make money to pay bills. I'm sure if Chad is backing Cmon he isn't in it to lose money.

4. Major does not promote parties that is another company called DC Major not associated with Major. UD's decision to leave was one of haste, he thought working there would be like not working but it turned into real work and he didn't know how to voice how he felt about the way things were being done plus he is still young. As far as customer service goes if you work in a store that gets people from all over the place and hit you with some of the dumbest questions then you would get pissed when you hear the same thing for 8 hours, and thats dumb questions from hood cats to tourists to Gtown snobs, against being in a store that gets little to no traffic you are going to treat customers like they are gold. The reason you can't get the same mall price in Major because stores like DTLR and Shoe City order way more product, that shouldn't be hard to figure out. Don't look for this spot to close no time soon its too much going on, on the side ya'll don't see. 5. You dudes are funny... open your own spot, any kind of business and see how hard it is to stay up and running with the economy going down even further. The US dollar losing value. People holding on to what ever money they come across, and you to will find out what first in and first out mean. Then will you be sitting on a forum trying to figure out where things went wrong.
I would really smash this entire post, but no need. You got it.

But I will say this, I went to Jr. High with UD, which makes him closer to 30 years of age.

So much for being "young."

Jesus.

This post was to honor the end of a great store. If you notice, we keep it funky in here, but there hasn't been one neg. comment, which shouldfurther let you know how Social Studies did things during their reign.

But again, you got it.

[Fred Sanford] "You Big Dummy!"

1. How often would you drive well out of your way to buy anything when there is the internet and closer stores

2. I didn't say they can't run a store I said go open one on your own and deal with the ups and downs of the business and a bad economy. This isbusiness and Nike knows they are the monster and control pretty much all, aspects of it, and any spot that opens up knows they need a Nike account, and if youknow that already then you know what comes with it. I have actually been to meetings with Nike and other owners about this issue.

3. I have nothing to be disgruntled about,, I read the thread and it looks to me like ya'll are trying to place the blame somewhere for Social Studiesclosing. its just the nature of the business.

to lost tomorrow

1. When Social first opened AJ told me who the owner was...

2. Foot traffic alone in Georgetown would crush the amount in Social's area. Georgetown is a destination spot for more than just shopping.

3. Every time I see a Cmon fitted its the black with the white C, and throwing parties and holding in-stores don't always translate into sales.

4. Your job must be easy or you don't have one, if you do work I know you are not smiling thru the whole day

to hazel

1. You post regularly so don't get shy now. You got it.

2. Jr. high was a some time ago and does that mean they are going to be the same person throughout. Plus going to school and working with somebody is two verydifferent things.

3. What was so great about it? What was funky? I never said anything negative about Social I've been cool with AJ since I met him. My comments may benegative to you but what I'm stating is only reality. Another thing I see on here is that you all want place titles on everything... when D51 opened it waslike it was a race to see who could open first and when I looked on here there it is D51 first to open... ok now they are gone. There are no crowns or titlesto be won these are businesses, and if your business practices are not on point then find something else to do cuz it will be a waste of time energy and money.There is no reign to be had.

^
Again, you got it. Genius.

(2) I didn't say anything about WORKING with UD. Anyone with reading comprehension could clearly see that Iattacked you calling him "young". You gave the perception that main main is 19 years old or something with no work experience in the city. *@++! ismy point. If he's young, what the hell is considered "mature" in your eyes?
eyes.gif

Go make another screen name to "hide" yourself about another topic.
laugh.gif

Back to the topic at hand...

For the record, Social Study is NOT owned by either owner of Pitcrew; it's owned by the wife of one of the co-owners who was already running asuccessful boutique consisting of primarily womens clothes (Velvet Lounge) and decided to expand so she opened Social Study in order to expand her mens clothesand sneaker inventory.

Originally Posted by Billy Jacobs

In addition to the points made by others, I'd like to two more.

1. I'm confused by your logic. You state that no store affected the closing of SS. Then follow it up with "How often would you drive well out of yourway to buy anything when there is the internet and closer stores?" Which one is it?

2. I assume you have been to Frederick, correct? Exactly how many "sneakerheads" do you think Frederick has? Before you answer, consider the factthat we are talking about a farm town that became slightly cosmo because folks had to move out here due to the ridiculous housing prices in DC. And I don'tsay this to suggest that DC commuters are the only folks out here, but all that (relatively) new construction isn't because farmers needed a Target and aChipotle.

Not to mention they opened a good 3 years before any of the DC spots and also when the concept of "streetwear" was still fairly underground if youdidn't live in LA or NYC.

Back
Top Bottom