the end of an era :: social study is closing its doors

Originally Posted by Billy Jacobs

to lost tomorrow

1. When Social first opened AJ told me who the owner was...

2. Foot traffic alone in Georgetown would crush the amount in Social's area. Georgetown is a destination spot for more than just shopping.

3. Every time I see a Cmon fitted its the black with the white C, and throwing parties and holding in-stores don't always translate into sales.

4. Your job must be easy or you don't have one, if you do work I know you are not smiling thru the whole day
1. (and 4) i worked there part time for around five years. i know what name was on my paystub and it wasn't anyone from pitcrew. andyou're right, i definitely wasn't stoked all day, but you had better believe that if a customer is in the store asking if we sell crocs, SBs, heelys,etc i politely directed them in the right direction or even better, tried to show them something we had their kids might like better.

2. i'm really sorta confused here. you said dc is too far away to pull business away from frederick. now you're telling me that georgetown is a bigdestination spot, leading me to assume it definitely would in fact pull business from surrounding areas. which is it?

3. as a largely outside observer, i can say that commonwealth has been pretty successful at brand building from where i'm sitting. without getting into afree consultation, i'll just say that anytime a nationally recognized and critically acclaimed recording artist shows up at your store, at least two thingswill happen - your store's name will be mentioned in the local media for free and folks that have knowledge of that group (but not necessarily the store)will walk through the door. some of them will have money in their pockets. that is an opportunity to make a sale.

4. i work for the number one hospital in the country several years running. while i appreciate the concern, you don't have to worry about my jobsecurity. unfortunately cancer isn't really going outta business.

i was there to say my goodbyes and pick up my stuff on saturday. i believe i grabbed those uptempos outta the back for you.

Who cares about working in the city GENIUS, the man was co-owner of Major, and he just said **#k it becuz of what... not being able to say what he felt... thatis not mature and I don't care how old you are if you are over 18 then be a MAN and not a male.

Say what you feel be a man , I can care less about you attacking me while you're sitting in front of your computer hiding behind your soft @+$ screen namedude.

When SS was open none of ya'll that live in this area locally drove out there on a regular. Being a customer at PG Plaza or Iverson or any where else localwas and is easier choice and this is before Major, D51 or any other spot. Plus if SS was so great why are they closing... why didn't ya'll support themthru out...

Farm town exactly, why open something that is geared toward an urban market in a farm town. Farm hands don't care about kicks and tees, like a city kiddoes.

For every person that moved out of DC to where ever at least 10 moved into DC. This goes with Georgetown being a destination area and it has been that foryears well before any sneaker spot. Its too many different kinds of people that live in and around Gtown and will not venture out of there way for anything.Gtown is going to keep more traffic than many places and that goes as far as Gtown itself look how close Kickballers was to Major, one of the things was isthat Kickballers was too far down M St. some folks don't even make it that far down.

CMON IS NOT MAKING ANY MONEY PERIOD I LOST COUNT ON HOW MANY ACCOUNTS THEY LOST. HAVING PARTIES DOES NOT TURN INTO SALES PERIOD WHEN YOUR DOOR IS LOCKED AT 2PMON A WEEKDAY WITH NO NOTICE NO NOTHING AND YOU GO NEXT DOOR TO SEE IF ANYBODY IS WORKING AND THEY TELL YOU YEAH HE'S PROBABLY ON THE COMPUTER THATS NOTGOOD. SOMETIMES I GO PAST THERE ON PURPOSE TO SEE IF THEY HAVE ANY CUSTOMERS AND 90 PERCENT OF THE TIME...ZILCH

IT IS JUST SNEAKERS AND T-SHIRTS ............

^There are way 2 many things that are erroneous in your posting, not 2 mention you contradicting urself,
but I don't feel like writing a paragraph sooo..

Kev said it best, You got it son...

LMAO how about whoever is making blind post from the store that DOESN'T MATTER come out of the shadows......or better yet from behind those crates andboxes that crowd the store....

smh.gif

jupeezy:

LMAO how about whoever is making blind post from the store that DOESN'T MATTER come out of the shadows......or better yet from behind those crates and boxes that crowd the store...
Again, back to Social Studies.

And I commend ALL the guys that were involved in making that store a success during its era.

When SS was open none of ya'll that live in this area locally drove out there on a regular. Being a customer at PG Plaza or Iverson or any where else local was and is easier choice and this is before Major, D51 or any other spot. Plus if SS was so great why are they closing... why didn't ya'll support them thru out...

Farm town exactly, why open something that is geared toward an urban market in a farm town. Farm hands don't care about kicks and tees, like a city kid does.
You go troll!
laugh.gif

Just some points/contradictions...

- You tell us to go "own our own spot" as some kind of slight attack, but by the way you express yourself here, you don't own a store (unless youUD's replacement)I By your lack of collective legit thoughts, I doubt you OWN your own damn vehicle.
laugh.gif

- So, "Downtown" Frederick isn't a destination location for a spot like this, as idiot said early, to "serve the people of Frederick."
laugh.gif

(we all know those 4 blocks were the "georgetown" of that area, like carytown in Richmond). Although they were open for over 5 years (which equalsuccess).

laugh.gif

- You got O.G.s here, who were around when NYC was the only "destination." You are obviously a new jack. Many of us are known by face/first name inSocial Studies over the years. So what are you talking about?

- Athough the store sent a personal message explaining why they are closing their doors, idiot is questioning why they are closing. In business, its prettysimple why. Their balance sheets are at a point its doesn't make sense to stay open. But, they were open for over 6 years = success. So how can youcompare them to a store that hasn't had their reign yet?

- You talk about UD, and Tim's not a public figure or a member here and stays out the "internet" eye, knowing he can't defend himself... Andits also obvious you were to b'made to say what you said here to him in person. It's business -- partnerships don't last forever. Idiot. And hehas been LOOOONG gone. But I'm hiding behind my screen name, er?

- First, its "don't be shy", and next I'm "soft". 540 Shepherd St. N.W. is the address. Real name is Kevin Bailey. Revealyours... Matter fact, I'll just inquire in the store and go from there when I'm up at the store new years weekend. I'll holla at Dukki directly ifhe's there... I'll be happy if you want me to inbox you a number if you perfer to holla at me the "Chillin'" way...

- I know our great Administrator "Method Man" has encourage ALL of us to type our thoughts fully and eloquently, but you've missed the boat oneverything after the word "thoughts"...

- Thanks for trying to "educate" us. But most of us already have degrees, or been around 10+ years to know the deal...

I was planning on strolling through this weekend, now that the snow is M.I.A...

Gotta pass it to get to Auntie's house anyway...

OG's my .. and AIn't nobody using no false id for ya'll soft $%#es. I been in this before ya'll were in. Stop trying to find hairs to hang fromto get free *%!!, amd get deals on some sweatshop kicks. Grow up and find a site to join about being a man and learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHEN YOU SEE ME IN THE STREETS HOLLA AT ME,!

Smh in the real world u can't hide behind screen names....just thought I'd put that out there....

When's the last day at SS? Anybody know?

I'm just going to assume that this is a bad attempt and humor and laugh at the irony of it not being funny, yet hilarious.
roll.gif

tongue.gif

hired henchmen to come online and do dirty work, or just spiteful individuals with personal vendettas?
(noneya...we got it, but irrelevant)
Like any business, especially at this time, will undergo a significant amount of trial and tribulation which is something that comes with any business. Whatdiffers from a successful business to an unsuccessful business, is what you do when those hard times surface. I work for Commonwealth and as a brand that Isupport daily, I can honestly say we do our best to sustain more than a certain amount of integrity as well as business practices. Never will we venture out ,nor condone, any bashing of any other business because the competition alone sets the bar. With that being said, there is no room for public bickering orimmature disputes. Words are only that, and we will continue to push this brand in as many progressive and innovative ways as we have been since our inceptionin 2004. Whether you enjoy our practices or not, hey, we wont be naive and expect to win over every customer, but we will do our best in every opportunitygiven. Granted, will always be ups and downs, but I work with a group of people I sincerely respect and our highers believe in helping us all get to the nextlevel, so I cant take any frivolous and negative views lightly. Ask yourself how your representing an establishment you clearly have much dedication to beforeyou make public comments such as those? You (you know who im talking about) are doing alot of "Man" talk, but with the practices your displaying,your not showing much man qualities. Since this business is so tough to run, focus that energy on running a business. Since the traffic in G-town is so heavy,focus on helping out on the floor. If selling Nikes is that much harder in 2009, focus on plotting strategical ways to promote your product. All these thingsare factors in which any business in this market is focusing on, even those that have been around for over a decade. This just boils down to respect. I knownone of my peers have disrespected any customer that have walked in any of our establishments, and if that has ever been the case, come holler at me on apersonal level. Keep it peaceful is all.

Jupeezy - calm down
laugh.gif

Back to the subject.
Social Study was definitely my go to, during my days of traveling back and forth to NY. Definitely helped with my exposure to this market as well as my lovefor it.
AJ, great dude right there, CS skills, incredible. April as well! I have known those two for years and it has always been love.
Here I have been trying to get in contact with this dude not even knowing the store was closing.
Definitely a great establishment overall.
Peace to you all.

^
I know I got a nerve, but why bother with "Cornell 'East' turned Madd Rapper"?
laugh.gif

Let us sideline dudes play our position, kind sar.

laugh.gif

LOL @ Eye's basically saying that the people have this one, no need for corporate to even comment.

And somehow I feel like the theme song for this thread is Hov's "What we Talkin' About."

WOW.. I'm very shocked.. I thought Social Studies was going to last forever since they are right next to pitt crew.. and I do agree that Nike make storesbuy A LOT of other junk that won't sell.. This is one of the reasons why a lot of SB accounts charge a premium for all the HOT dunks to make up for all the$$$ they lose sitting on classics, veloces, TREs, Harbors etc... I Know a very strong SB hook up and I understand the hardship.. My guy is just lucky becausehe is in the midwest and his rent is SUPER CHEAP! but it's tough running a store and especially in these hard times.. I have been to Major they seem verychill and regardless of how they run their store they are making rent and I give them a lot of credit.. These guys really put in a lot of time and hard work tokeep their store running and they have a lot more to lose then your footlocker/footaction who can close stores and break leases and just write them off at theend of the year or just ship all their junk to outlet stores...

OG's my .. and AIn't nobody using no false id for ya'll soft $%#es. I been in this before ya'll were in. Stop trying to find hairs to hang from to get free *%!!, amd get deals on some sweatshop kicks. Grow up and find a site to join about being a man and learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHEN YOU SEE ME IN THE STREETS HOLLA AT ME,!
Hey Panich, enjoying your winter break?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom