The Graphic Design Thread UPDATE: 1st post filled with info. 2nd with NTer's portfolios.

Some pretty good work in here! Keep it up y'all!

Anyways, anyone here on Dribbble? Looking to get drafted soon. 8)

You can peep some of my work here. Mostly work in print design, but I'm looking to make the transition into Interface Design.

createdbyacen.com (my first shot at a responsive webpage, the code is a bit clunky but hey it works! Resize your browser window or check it out on your phone/tablet/laptop/desktop)

blog.createdbyacen.com (Misc Work & Photos)

It's that time of year again.

Advertising powerhouse, Wieden+Kenndy, is looking for their Summer 2015 interns.

Positions range all over the advertising spectrum: design, creative, PR, HR, accounts, marketing, strategy, janitorial, etc.

This is strictly for recent grads or persons that will have graduated by the time this program begins. It is an internship with possible hire situation. And since they just won A LOT of business, they have a lot positions to fill in both Portland and NY.

Also, this is in Portland, OR and/or New York, NY. You must be willing to relocate for three months or longer.

http://www.wk.com/jobs/internships

Reactions: _23
If I had one, you'd have yourself a deal. Unfortunately, I had never heard of that site up until now. Appreciate the offer though, I'll keep an eye out for you. Let me know if there might be another way I could snag that invite from you. Those anti-valentines day cards are golden btw!

Last edited:
If I had one, you'd have yourself a deal. Unfortunately, I had never heard of that site up until now. Appreciate the offer though, I'll keep an eye out for you. Let me know if there might be another way I could snag that invite from you. Those anti-valentines day cards are golden btw!

I was being a bit facetious about your request. I am on Dribbble and have drafted in the past, but I don't have invites at the moment. HAHA. I usually hook people up on a first come first serve basis when I do get drafts.

I was being a bit facetious about your request. I am on Dribbble and have drafted in the past, but I don't have invites at the moment. HAHA. I usually hook people up on a first come first serve basis when I do get drafts.

Dully Noted. Had me looking up WNW invites as if it hasn't been hard enough to get an invite to Dribbble haha. Submitted a shot via draft.im and have been attempting to show work via Twitter. Regardless, appreciate the help! Keep us posted on any draft invites you might get soon! :nerd:

Last edited:
Sorry in advance about all the feedback. I'm not trying to be a ****. I understand the look you're shooting for and what I wrote might help. But you most def don't have to listen to me in any way, shape, or form if you don't want to.

That blocked off section of transparent black is awkward. I understand that you used it as a base for the headline, but it makes a floating section I want to see more of. Also that font (didot italicized?) is a bit heavy for that elegant look.

The white bar and the white rectangle don't live harmoniously as well. Everything doesn't settle together. They become a bunch of elements on a page.

Check out the Cosmopolitan campaign for "the right amount of wrong." The do a fine job of balancing the image and the type.

concept for class
Gonna need more info. Is it conceptual for print? Web?

Off bat the alignment of whats in the white bar doesnt sit harmoniously with the type in the darker square. Looks like Bodoni? The high contrast of the thick/thin serifs are nice--but you have to watch out when you reduce the size of the type bc you can lose legibility with it.

Keep working hard bro!

Last edited:
dig legit graphic designers cause yall are tuned to see fine details.

you should see what i was making a year ago :rofl:

thanks for the feedback.

Quick screenshot of a line illustration I put together a couple weeks back. Bay Area/Oakland heads should be familiar with this building.

View media item 1432361

Who here has a career in the design field? Hoping we could maybe share stories of what it's been like thus far, maybe help anyone looking for advice or direction working in a creative field.

got an interview on Wednesday

any tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks

^Talk about any education you have in the field. Talk about what software you are good with. Talk about challenges you've overcome during projects. Talk about your strengths. If asked for weaknesses, simply leave it at "My greatest weakness is that I don't have enough professional experience".

When it comes to the "Do you have any questions?" part, don't be silent. Ask what a typical day for someone in your position is like. Ask if you're required to take home work with you.

Dress sharp and be prepared, and you'll be good.

^Talk about any education you have in the field. Talk about what software you are good with. Talk about challenges you've overcome during projects. Talk about your strengths. If asked for weaknesses, simply leave it at "My greatest weakness is that I don't have enough professional experience".

When it comes to the "Do you have any questions?" part, don't be silent. Ask what a typical day for someone in your position is like. Ask if you're required to take home work with you.

Dress sharp and be prepared, and you'll be good.

thank you for the reply

:pimp:

Also, be yourself.

Don't act all Carlton Banks at an interview fake, the interviewer will see right through that.

thanks...

any idea about the salary.... like whats fair etc

There are a lot of variables: level (jr/mid/sr), specialty in design, city, size of the shop, etc.

Use Glassdoor.com to gauge what people in your position are making in different agencies/shops.

That's the best way to gauge it.

got an interview on Wednesday

any tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks

How'd the interview go? Any luck on your end? Was finally able to secure employment doing in house work for a national laboratory - not exactly where I want to be, but it'll work for now.

Just something I learned through this whole experience - your portfolio is key. That statement is pretty obvious but to explain - the work you show there will be indicative of the work you will end up doing. For example, I had lots of print work: direct-mail postcards, multipage publications etc. and now the majority of my work at my new job will be in the same realm. I wanted to begin working my way into Interface Design & yes I know the basic principals and I think I can do a decent job in that field, but my portfolio didn't show any relevant work that proved that. So know what you are into, show that you can do it well via your portfolio, and you should be golden.

That being said time to pull the current website down & start putting together some new projects :smokin

PS. OneTrueSoul - 8) Still looking for a Dribbble Invite, you happen to get any since the last time we spoke?

New website of mine. Complete with online store. (NEED a job though. MD/DC/VA Area.)

www.relldot.com

Pretty cool stuff man. Just a word of advice and you can take this or leave it - that background is REALLY busy. It makes the site harder to navigate and takes away from what's really important - your content. It seems to be your style, and it looks like there is an overarching theme, which is all good, it's just a bit distracting. Keep it up though and best of luck on your employment search! :nthat:

Back
Top Bottom