The Handmaid's Tale [A Hulu Original Series] | [Season III JUNE 5: BLESSED BE THE FIGHT]

'Handmaid's Tale': 9 Burning Questions for Season 3

handmaids_tale_213_still_2_-_publicity_-_h_2018.jpg

George Kraychyk/Hulu
'The Handmaid's Tale'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/handmaids-tale-9-burning-questions-season-3-1126975

"Blessed be the fight."

That's the phrase that best defines what's ahead when The Handmaid's Tale returns for its third season, according to several people in the know: star and executive producer Elisabeth Moss, as well as creator and showrunner Bruce Miller, just to name two.

The Hulu drama, currently nominated for 20 Emmy Awards, stands ready to plunge headlong into a fight between those in power within Gilead, and those in resistance within Gilead. June, formerly known as Offred, stands firmly on the second side of the battle line — and the result, at least according to what Moss tells The Hollywood Reporter: "She is no longer alone. She has an army, and she's going to fight."

June's intentions for the future are known — active resistance against Gilead, while simultaneously seeking to save her daughter Hannah (Jordana Blake) and others still at the mercy of this fascist regime — but many questions about the future of the show remain in place, such as...

1. What does Serena have left?

Serena Joy (Yvonne Strahovski) finally spoke out against the men in charge of Gilead in the season finale, and she lost a finger for it. The physical damage is nothing compared to the wounds she sustained when June ran away with her infant daughter, who still retains the name given to her by Serena, Nicole. Given her own role in Nicole's escape, not to mention her shifting attitudes toward Gilead, one has to wonder if Serena's finally about to turn her back on the nation she helped create. She stands out as someone with very little left to lose. Might her arc in season three center on escaping Gilead? In that regard, Bruce Miller offered an ominous response: "That would be interesting to watch, wouldn't it?"

2. What horrors will Commander Waterford unleash next?

Fresh off his Emmy nomination, Joseph Fiennes spoke with THR and wondered about that very question. Without revealing too much, here's what Fiennes offered about his predictions for Fred's future: "It's going to be interesting going into the aspect of a loss of a child, potentially. I think that has massive ramifications for both the Waterfords emotionally, and for Fred in terms of the hierarchy, because it's such a big thing to be a commander with a family and a child, and to have that ripped away."

3. How can both Fred and Nick survive for much longer?

Given the precarious way in which both men ended the season — with Nick (Max Minghella) keeping Fred on lockdown, hand hovering near the gun on his hip — it's very hard to see how they get out of their current dilemma. Handmaid's has a way of clawing its way out of close corners, so one imagines both characters will still be in the mix for some time yet, especially given what Moss told THR about June's resources now that she's seeking to lead a rebellion against Gilead — a list of resources that very much includes Nick himself.

4. What's the extent of the Martha network?

The season finale's climactic final act was only possible thanks to the extensive work of the Marthas who risked life and limb to safe June and her baby, a group that includes Rita (Amanda Brugel). According to Moss, a big part of why June chose to stay behind was realizing the Marthas were such an organized unit, one that could prove quite useful in the effort against Gilead. With any luck, season three will see a huge rise in prominence for Rita, as well as other members of the Martha community, including Dr. Hodgson (Karen Glave), the neonatologist who tried to save baby Angela in "Women's Work."

5. Speaking of baby Angela...

...or "Charlotte," as her birth mother would prefer, what's going to happen to Janine (Madeline Brewer) in light of the season finale's events? There's little doubt that June would want to reach out to Janine as she seeks to find ways to fight back — but for all of her tremendous qualities, Janine isn't exactly the most subtle person on the show. Exactly how Janine continues to factor into the series remains as much of a question as any.

6. Aunt Lydia isn't dead, right?

That's one question we can consider answered: Ann Dowd will return to The Handmaid's Tale for its third season, as confirmed by Bruce Miller. "When I sent her the script," he tells THR, "I sent her an email along with it where the subject line was, 'No, Aunt Lydia's not dead.'" So no, she's not dead, but she's certainly going to be filled with even more righteous fury than usual whenever she recovers from the knife wound and huge fall she sustained in the finale.

7. Where will Emily turn up next?

She's not only the woman responsible for nearly killing Aunt Lydia, but also the woman currently responsible for caring after June's infant daughter. This latest escape from Gilead looked as sure a bet as any featured inHandmaid's Tale thus far, but who's to say that Emily (Alexis Bledel) and baby Nicole will make it to safety after all? Here's hoping they show up next in Little America, both because poor Emily needs a break from the endless barrage of misery, and also because her interactions with Luke (O-T Fagbenle) and Moira (Samira Wiley) would be a guaranteed boost for all three characters' season three arcs.

8. What's up with Commander Lawrence?

Bradley Whitford's unhinged commander was largely responsible for Emily's escape, and June knows all about it. It's a good bet that June and Lawrence will cross paths again in the season ahead, potentially as allies, but the possibility exists for something a bit murkier. As Miller describes Lawrence: "He seems a little gone, with a glint in his eye. So that makes him very tough to predict, what he's going to do. He can be helpful, or not so helpful. That's the kind of character we like, someone who is interesting and consistent, but in the end, unpredictable in some really basic and important ways."

9. When will it end?

As it stands, The Handmaid's Tale already has one full season under its belt beyond the story scope of the original work of Margaret Atwood — even though Miller and the creative team insist that the feeling of "Atwoodness" remains a north star for the series. But the way in which the finale ends, keeping June in Gilead despite the apparent opportunity to escape, does leave one to wonder when exactly this story will end. Don't expect the third season to be the final act of the Hulu drama, even though Miller insists he's very much keeping the inevitable closing act in mind.

"When we get to the end of Handmaid's Tale," he says, "I want it to be a beautiful piece of fiction, like the book, that you put a little bow around and you can put it on your shelf next to the book, and that it feels like a story well told from beginning to end. Going beyond that time? I'm not interested. I'd like it to be something as close to finished and feel like a complete piece of work as possible."

'Handmaid's Tale' "Ready to Hit the Next Dimension" in Season 3, Producer Says
"I think we'll get to go to another place for year three, which is the resistance," executive producer Warren Littlefield tells THR about what to expect next.

the_handmaids_tale_still_-_publicity_-_h_2018.jpg

George Kraychyk/Hulu
'The Handmaid's Tale'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/handmaids-tale-finale-what-expect-season-3-1126421

When The Handmaid's Tale launches its third season, it will come cloaked in resistance — as timely a development as possible, according to executive producer Warren Littlefield.

"I think we'll get to go to another place for year three, which is the resistance, the fight," Littlefield tells The Hollywood Reporter about what to expect from the Hulu drama's third season. "June has had to battle for survival, and I think it leaves us in a place where she's able to look beyond herself, beyond the battle for her unborn child in year two, and for Hannah. It feels like it takes us to a bigger place."

The season two finale, "The Word," sets the stage for a third season in which Elisabeth Moss' June (best known to viewers as Offred, her name as a handmaid within Gilead) nearly escapes from the fascist nation. Instead, she chooses to entrust her infant daughter with her fellow handmaid Emily (Alexis Bledel), also in the midst of the escape attempt, while June opts to stay behind in search of her oldest daughter, Hannah (Jordana Blake), still trapped somewhere in Gilead.

Showrunner and creator Bruce Miller has described his vision for the third season with a four-word phrase: "Blessed be the fight." Littlefield echoes that sentiment, saying it's one that aligns with the modern political moment. He specifically references President Trump's recent nomination of Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court as an example of the need for resistance.

"I think it is about the fight, and I think that [fight] takes many, many forms, as does citizenship and the privilege of citizenship," he says. "I think we're thematically very much on track. And I think the journey has been earned, and I think we're ready to hit the next dimension — and that's one where I think there's a sense of June as a warrior and rising."

The forthcoming battle in season three is a resistance that comes springing forth from the shadows. Given its themes and the world it's set in, The Handmaid's Tale was steeped in darkness throughout its second season, from guardian Nick Blaine (Max Minghella) being forced to marry a teenager, to that same teenager (Eden, played by Sydney Sweeney) being executed in the penultimate episode of the season. For some viewers, it was too much darkness to weather in the face of an endlessly brutal news cycle. From the Handmaid's team's perspective, season two's content was not only necessary for the stories ahead, but was tonally consistent with the world in which we live. As Littlefield puts it: "I feel like year two of Trump was pretty dark as well."

"We saw this year that you may get out of Gilead, but that doesn't necessarily mean your free," he continues. "That was true for June at the Boston Globe, haunted by what happened within that building. And that was absolutely true for Luke (O-T Fagbenle) and Moira (Samira Wiley) in Little America, that they really couldn't feel freedom because of what they had experienced and the responsibility that they feel. And so, I think those themes really, really all came together, and particularly with the 180 degree turn that June makes as she turns away from the escape vehicle and flips up that hood and marches towards an unknown battle — but she still takes that road."

The Handmaid's Tale writers room is currently working on the third season, and has been for a month, according to Littlefield. "There's an excitement," he says of the current atmosphere stemming from the stories currently under construction. "There's a tremendous intellectual curiosity that the entire writing staff possesses to work to understand everything about the world around us, about every possible fascist regime, every denial of human rights throughout the globe, and all of that information. It's a furious exchange of articles and emails and discussions as we figure out what the path is for our characters in Gilead. What does that look like in year three? It's incredibly stimulating."

That next season, expected to arrive in 2019, follows on the heels of the Hulu drama's sophomore run, which primarily crafted its own story beyond the scope of Margaret Atwood's original novel. With that said, Littlefield feels there was a sense of "Atwoodness" about season two, which he expects to carry into the season three.

"The colonies were referred to but never visited in the book, and so it was completely appropriate that we would bring them to life," he says. "And I think as we move into the journeys for these characters for year three, we continue to carry our Atwoodness forward. We would never want anyone to look at this show and feel it was divorced from Margaret's vision. I think we're always trying to complement it. And I'd be willing to bet that Bruce told you the person who has the least concern about staying close to the book is Margaret. She's like, 'Go, go. You've got this. Go.' Without fear. She's been adapted into plays, into multiple operas, into a feature film. She's not a stranger to that process. And she really just encourages. But I think we probably feel the burden of that mantle maybe even more than she does."

I'm super confused
I thought season 2 was supposed to feature an Aunt Lydia flashback episode, I remember reading that a long with us meeting the architect of gilead(which we got) hope we get an episode on Aunt Lydia next season

My Daughter And I Dressed As Handmaids And Got Arrested To Protest Brett Kavanaugh

GettyImages-1026695404_1536154473623_96592080_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/protest-brett-kavanaugh_us_5ba10f70e4b046313fbfbb4f

Nadine Bloch: How did my daughter, Margot, and I find ourselves walking through the halls of Congress dressed in bright red robes and white bonnets ― and then end up arrested ― in the first week of September?

It wasn’t a big conversation. There wasn’t much to talk about before it happened.

5ba118fb240000300095d995.png

COURTESY OF NADINE BLOCH
Margot Block (left) and Nadine Bloch (right), dressed as Handmaids.

Just a few days earlier, I had broken my own rule and turned my cell phone on as we reached the summit of an Adirondack mountain during our annual camping outing with longtime friends. As my teenage companions on the trip knew ― and no doubt used as motivation to get to the top ― this would be one of the only moments we might actually have cell coverage during our trip. So, we all fired up our phones and were momentarily jarred from the pristine wilderness back into the bustle and frenzy of our daily lives in Washington, D.C.

“Hey, there are demonstrations happening when the Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court nomination hearings start on Tuesday,” I told Margot. “Friends are dressing up as a Handmaids with a group called Demand Justice. We’d have to be up early and at the meeting spot by 7:30 a.m. Want to come with me?”

“Sure,” she said. “I guess that means we have to drive all the way home on Monday. Ugh. 10 hours in a car on a holiday weekend. But I’ll do it.”

It wouldn’t be the first time we had gone to a demonstration or protest together, but it would be the first time she would be making the decision as an adult, having turned 18 earlier this summer. For me, I was ecstatic to hear of a way for us to plug into the variety of activities planned to challenge the Supreme Court nomination of an anti-woman, anti-environment, anti-health care, anti-immigrant threat to our nation within hours of getting home.

It wouldn’t be the first time we had gone to a demonstration or protest together, but it would be the first time my daughter would be making the decision as an adult, having turned 18 earlier this summer. For me, I was ecstatic to hear of a way for us to plug into the variety of activities planned to challenge the Supreme Court nomination of an anti-woman, anti-environment, anti-health care, anti-immigrant threat to our nation within hours of getting home.

As someone who has been working as a nonviolent activist and trainer for over 30 years, I’d been brainstorming with others about what to do, when the Kavanaugh nomination was first announced, to creatively, strategically and powerfully support senators to stand up to this outrageous move by President Donald Trump and say NO to this threat to our democracy and rights.

I was relieved that Margot didn’t miss a beat. Both of us wanted to do something ― not sit by while Kavanaugh was considered for such a powerful and influential position, especially when he has shown he doesn’t support a woman’s right to choose, doesn’t believe in birth control, doesn’t support the protection of the earth or endangered species and refuses to say whether he believes pre-existing conditions need to be covered by health care, among other disturbing admissions. Not to mention he was nominated by a “president” who is also guilty of these biases ― and, I truly believe, is an unindicted co-conspirator to crimes to boot.

5ba119481f00002d002260e1.png

COURTESY OF NADINE BLOCH
Nadine and Margot Bloch and other women dressed as Handmaids on Capitol Hill on Sept. 4, 2018.

So, on Tuesday, Sept. 4, both of us, along with 15 others, dressed up as Handmaids on Capitol Hill, sweating buckets under our bonnets and long robes in 100-degree heat as we walked two by two, silently, in character.

In case you’re not familiar with the now-iconic Handmaid image, it’s from a Hulu TV show based on the 1985 dystopian novel The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. The red dress and white bonnets the Handmaids are required to wear invoke the specter of a horrific future in which fertility is so low that a religious group has waged a coup and now controls the United States, wherein fertile woman are forced to become human birthing machines and all women’s rights are limited.

You may think this is an improbable future, but given the recent (and not so recent) attacks on women’s access to health care, including birth control, Roe v. Wade and our environment, as well as social conservatives’ hostility to women in general, it doesn’t feel that unlikely ― or that far off ― to us and many others.

We all know it’s not easy to challenge men’s sexist behavior or words, and over the past couple of years, it has been powerful to witness my own kid holding her own when coaches, teachers and other students needed to be called out and held accountable.

Still, young folks need support from the rest of us ― we elders got us into the mess we’re in now, and we need to step up and take some responsibility for fixing it. So we came together, young and old, to protest, and we used the Handmaid as the symbol of all of the terrifying things that that could eventually come to pass if someone like Kavanaugh makes it to the Supreme Court.

We elders got us into the mess we’re in now, and we need to step up and take some responsibility for fixing it.Nadine Bloch
Margot Bloch: I grew up in a community full of activists and good troublemakers, watching my mom put so much on the line to fight for what she thinks is right. Through her creative activism ― which, over the years, has included building giant puppets, making signs and marching in the streets ― my mom raised me to learn the importance of change and working for what you want.

I spent my childhood going to marches and protests about everything from environmental change to immigration to economic policies. In fact, at 6 months old, I was sitting in my stroller at George W. Bush’s inauguration with a sign that read “BASTA! Babies Against State Terrorism Anywhere!” As I’ve gotten older, I have found my own place and purpose in activism and I’ve worked with anti-racism school groups and tried to make change on everything from gun violence to climate change.

5ba119e42000009900feba40.jpeg

PHOTOGRAPH BY LIZ GORMAN
Margot Bloch (center) dressed as a Handmaid on Sept. 4, 2018

Wearing a red gown and white bonnet with wings like the ones that the Handmaids wear created a world of limited mobility and vision while hiding almost my entire face and body. At the same time, I felt nowhere near hidden from the public eye, and I could feel every person’s neck ― and every photographer’s camera ― turning toward me as we walked by. After all, Handmaids in bright red and white aren’t exactly a normal sight in Washington, D.C.― nor should they ever be.

Dressing up and acting like a Handmaid was a different experience than other protests I’ve been involved in because it was much more of a theatrical political performance and truly a statement piece. The costumes were suffocating, and I was unable to be myself. If we broke character, everyone around us would take notice. I definitely felt controlled. It was really hard to do this for a few hours during a couple of days, and I can’t imagine living my life this way.

Once our initial protest in our Handmaid costumes was over, my mom and I felt a call to do something more. Since the Kavanaugh confirmation proceedings were still going on and the line to enter the room was short, we decided to join the activists who were intent on disrupting the hearing.

Public viewers were only allowed in the hearing room for 15 minutes, but it was painful to listen to what was being discussed for even 10. I don’t understand how senators could sit in that room all day and ignore the cries and screams of women, people with disabilities, immigrants and children as if they aren’t even worthy of being having their rights ― and their lives ― protected. I won’t pretend that I wasn’t nervous, because I was, but honestly, I don’t think I could have been in that room and not disrupted what I was witnessing.

5ba11c052100005100c64c54.jpeg

THE WASHINGTON POST VIA GETTY IMAGES
Margot Bloch being detained by police after she disrupted Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation hearing on Sept. 4, 2018.

This was going to be my first time being arrested for my activism (or otherwise), and though it seems a little weird to say this, the thought of it happening didn’t seem that intimidating or unusual to me.

There have been nights in my past when I came home from school only to find family friends at my house because my mom had been arrested for protesting. So I knew from her experiences what to expect, and though I knew there were times when the police had treated her horribly, she always made it home safely. I believed in what she had done ― and what we were now doing together ― and being arrested seemed like a small price to pay to make a statement that I knew was important, powerful and necessary.

Because we were crammed into the hearing room, my mom and I were separated, but each of us was still positioned near others who were also planning to disrupt the proceedings. I waited for the perfect moment to make my move, and when there was a brief lull in the hearing, I got up on my chair and began yelling, “I’m 18! I’m here for the youth of this country! You’re ruining my future!” as the police grabbed me and lifted me through a door in the side of the room.

I don’t think I could have been in that room and not disrupted what I was witnessing.Margot Bloch
The cops were rough with me and the other protesters as they dragged us out of the room, but once we were out, they were pretty calm. We were handcuffed, put in police vans and brought to a holding area before we were processed and then released.

The whole time though, we were together with our community of activists and had people waiting for us on the other side. We all sang songs of protest and resistance together, and I could feel the support from everyone around me. It’s hard to explain what an incredible feeling it is to be surrounded by a community that has your back, and I’m especially thankful to organizers and activists from groups like the Center for Popular Democracy and Housing Works for providing action and jail support.

Nadine: It was powerful to hear my daughter raise up her own voice in resistance, taking a risk for what she believes in. However, as her mother, I also found myself in an odd position in that moment ― both glad she was there and proud of her for what she was doing, but also slightly worried that the police would handle her roughly or inappropriately. Yes, it’s a small fear compared to what is at stake for our nation, but nonetheless a real and unshakable one for a parent.

This experience at Kavanaugh’s hearing reinforced what I know to be true as an activist and trainer: It’s invaluable to put yourself in someone else’s shoes, even for 90 seconds of role-playing. To stand for hours as a Handmaid in the halls of Congress was excruciating, terrifying, but ultimately extremely motivating to join and represent the resistance in this way. #WeWontGoBack.

The reality is that once I found myself in one of those suffocating outfits designed to keep women in their place, the weight of our oppressive system and the fear of what this country could become was suddenly even more tangible for me. It also felt creepy ― too close to potential reality. We felt vulnerable.

Once I found myself in one of those suffocating outfits designed to keep women in their place, the weight of our oppressive system and the fear of what this country could become was suddenly even more tangible for me. It also felt creepy ― too close to potential reality.Nadine Bloch
It was good to walk together, not alone. When we raised our heads to peer out at those looking at us, we could see that the Handmaids were jarring to many. I hoped we’d be a coherent warning of what could be in our futures, and as an artist, I hoped the use of the Handmaid costumes might get through to those who work in the capital Beltway and halls of Congress in a way that other protests might not. Maybe, I reasoned, this striking image would reach them in their gut and provoke an empathetic and emotional response that could help shift their consciousness and possibly even effect real change.

The intensity of the Handmaid roleplay also led us to develop a quick camaraderie across our diverse group of activists, and some of the members are already planning to meet up again. Handmaid Happy Hour, anyone? Sounds contradictory, doesn’t it? Someone suggested it might be more appropriate to go with “*****es in Bonnets,” but, either way, it’s all about sisters in resistance!

I am encouraged by this intense feeling and will do whatever I can to help stoke it in order to continue making connections and help grow investment in activism however and wherever I can. This is the essence of people power, and I truly believe that without civic engagement where compassion leads to action, we are doomed.

Margot: Given what is happening in our country and around the world today, I am more inspired and motivated than ever to be an agent for change. The older I get, the more I realize that we must use our own privilege and be willing to make sacrifices in order to fight for what we truly care about.

In the end, this isn’t just about blocking Brett Kavanaugh’s ascent to the Supreme Court (which, to be clear, is absolutely imperative). We must band together to fix our broken political system and challenge injustice whenever we encounter it. It’s only when we work together that we can challenge our unjust systems of racism, patriarchy and economic injustice. In order to win equality and rights for everyone, we will need as many people as possible to pledge their time, energy and resources to the resistance.

Everything to Know About ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Season 3
Wherever June goes, there she is.

89aa16c7-b52a-479c-8a2d-114a488dbd1d-the-handmaids-tale-season-2-ep-7-2018-billboard-1548.jpg

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entert...dmaids-tale-season-3-news-date-cast-spoilers/

To no one’s surprise, Hulu announced in May 2018 that The Handmaid’s Tale had been renewed for a third season. And we finally know when to mark our calendars: The third season will premiere on June 5, 2019. Prepare your own ceremony of sorts, because three full episodes will drop that day, followed by one new episode every Wednesday. Season 3 will have 13 episodes in total. Here’s what we know so far:

1. The teaser will give you goosebumps. Hulu gave us a first look at season three with a chilling advertisement during the Super Bowl. If this feels more like a political ad than a preview of your favorite show to binge watch, it's probably because it's a play on Ronald Reagan's 1984 reelection campaign.

*Heavy sarcasm* hmm, it's almost like The Handmaid's Tale is trying to send us some kind of message before the 2020 election.

2. June is dressed in pale green. So... does that mean that the woman also known as Offred is going to be a Martha in the new season? Perhaps. But it could also mean that she's doing something sneaky and undercover.

3. Like season two, don’t expect the series to stray too far away from Margaret Atwood’s book. Sort of. As showrunner Bruce Miller told The Hollywood Reporter, “People talk about how we’re beyond the book, but we’re not really. The book starts, then jumps 200 years with an academic discussion at the end of it, about what’s happened in those intervening 200 years. It’s maybe handled in an outline, but it’s still there in Margaret’s novel. We’re not going beyond the novel; we’re just covering territory she covered quickly, a bit more slowly.”

4. Atwood will continue to be involved. “She watches every cut and gives us notes when she has time,” Miller said at the PGA’s Produced By Conference in June 2018. “We’re more reluctant to make changes in the world than she is, because she likes exploring different versions of it.”

5. Pre-production began in June 2018. In an interview with Cosmopolitan.com, writer Yahlin Chang confirmed that conversations for season three have already been taking place. “We do talk about what to do in season three and we’re all horrified by these family separations,” Chang said, referring to Trump’s border policy that separated migrant children from their parents who entered the U.S. illegally. “We wish that everything we were talking about was made up and not real, for sure. It is very uncanny timing.”

6. The show could make it to 10 seasons. Again, in his interview with THR, Miller said that he’s “roughed it out” for the show to have 10 seasons. “I see a world beyond [the current one]. I would watch an episode about the Nuremberg trials after Gilead falls.”

7. Atwood is writing a sequel to The Handmaid’s Tale. In November 2018, Atwood confirmed on Twitter that she’s penning The Testaments, set 15 years after Offred’s final scene in The Handmaid’s Tale book. The sequel, due September 2019, will be narrated by three female characters. “Everything you’ve ever asked me about Gilead and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book,” Atwood revealed in the Twitter video. “Well, almost everything! The other inspiration is the world we’ve been living in.”

Yes indeed to those who asked: I’m writing a sequel to The#HandmaidsTale. #TheTestaments is set 15 years after Offred’s final scene and is narrated by three female characters. It will be published in Sept 2019. More details: https://t.co/e1umh5FwpXpic.twitter.com/pePp0zpuif

— Margaret E. Atwood (@MargaretAtwood) November 28, 2018
https://twitter.com/MargaretAtwood/status/1067778206642683906?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Oklahoma Anti-Abortion Lawmaker Says Women Are Merely ‘Hosts’

13-justin-humphrey.w330.h412.jpg

Representative Justin Humphrey.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/02/oklahoma-anti-abortion-lawmaker-says-women-are-hosts.html

On Tuesday, the Oklahoma state legislature will hold a hearing on a bill that would require a woman seeking an abortion to first get written permission from her male sexual partner. In an interview, the Republican lawmaker who authored the bill explained that a woman’s body, well, simply isn’t her own. Instead, a woman’s body is merely a “host.”

The Intercept has a detailed report about the bill, known as HB 1441, as well as another bill that would block women from aborting fetuses with genetic anomalies, called HB 1559. In a surprising move (as Oklahoma has passed 20 strict abortion regulations since 2011), the latter failed to pass last Wednesday while the former was tabled without comment. However, by Thursday, both measures were put back on the House Public Health Committee’s agenda, with a vote slated for February 14.

In an interview with the Intercept, Representative Justin Humphrey explained why he decided to author HB 1441. His first intention with the bill, he said, was to ensure men would have to pay child support from the beginning. He also wanted to give men a say in the decision of whether a woman gets an abortion or not, because women tend to make these decisions with the mistaken with belief that their bodies are their own, he said.

Per the Intercept:

“I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of women. “I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant,” he explained. “So that’s where I’m at. I’m like, hey, your body is your body and be responsible with it. But after you’re irresponsible then don’t claim, well, I can just go and do this with another body, when you’re the host and you invited that in.”

Didn’t realize there was a thread for this show. Binged the first two seasons with my shorty a few weeks back. Definitely ready for Season 3. As most have already said, if Offred ends up back in that house then I’m out.

Handmaid's Tale' Season 3: Elisabeth Moss is a Natural When It Comes to Handpicking Award-Winning Shows
312e31fd-3c48-4099-a215-9cdfefcfbc2e_800_420.jpeg

After 'The West Wing' and 'Mad Men', Elisabeth Moss has consistently picked shows that are challenging and unique — including 'The Handmaid's Tale'

https://meaww.com/the-handmaids-tal...moss-choices-four-award-winning-shows-mad-men

Elisabeth Moss started working in TV shows in the 1990s and got her first film role in 1991. She has made some interesting choices since her days as an actor in the late 90s show 'The West Wing'. In that show, she played Zoey Bartlet, the youngest daughter of President Josiah Bartlet, and was featured prominently in comparison to the her sisters on the show. 'The West Wing' was probably Moss' big break as most of her memorable characters came after the show ended in 2006.

Over the years, Moss has come to be known for playing women who are earnest and driven — such as Peggy Olsen in 'Mad Men'.

ddab6eed-251d-46e8-b86e-6ae427361fc2.jpg

From left: Matthew Weiner, January Jones, John Slattery, Jon Hamm, Elisabeth Moss and Christina Hendricks attend the 'Mad Men' New York Special Screening at The Museum of Modern Art in 2015 in New York City. (Source: Getty Images)

She started off in 'Mad Men' as a secretary who shared her office with a copy machine. She grew with the show to become a sought-after copywriter in the period drama that is set in the advertising world of the 1960s.

The show is considered one of the best American dramas even today and has a cult fan following. While Jon Hamm as the lead Don Draper won over audiences with his excellent acting skills, Moss was equally appreciated for her portrayal of Peggy.

Speaking about auditioning for the role in an interview with Sunday Sitdown, Moss said, "Everybody wanted to audition for it. Everybody wanted to be in it. I just remember doing the audition and just loving that character right away. I always wanted to approach it not as a girl in the sixties, but I wanted women to identify with her regardless of what decade it was."

After 'Mad Men', Moss was a part of 'Top of the Lake' in 2013 and its sequel 'Top of the Lake: China Girl' in 2017. In the show, she plays the role of detective Robin Griffin who investigates the disappearance of a 12-year-old pregnant girl in New Zealand. In the second season, she investigated the death of an Asian girl who was found in Bondi Beach, Australia.

Her realistic depiction of the character and the situations that she goes through fetched her a Critics' Choice Award in 2013 and also a Golden Globe for Best Actress — Miniseries or Television Film. The show also was a lot darker than Moss' previous shows and also set her up for yet another critically acclaimed show 'The Handmaid's Tale'.

In 2017, the world was introduced to Margaret Atwood's work 'The Handmaid's Tale' in televised format by Hulu. Moss plays the role of Offred-June Osborn from Gilead. She is also an executive producer of the show which started four months after president Donald Trump's inauguration.

Since then, Moss and others who are a part of the show have been answering questions about the show and its parallel with real-life incidents. The second season only got much darker as the show developed beyond the book. The oppression, inequality and the totalitarian government of the dystopian world of 'Gilead' was much too close to home. The show also fits the type of role that Moss usually looked out for. In the same interview, Moss said that she likes to play a character which has something to overcome.

'The Handmaid's Tale' has been dubbed a 'watercooler hit' and 'a cultural phenomenon', especially after comedian Michelle Wolf, at the 2018 White House Correspondents' Dinner, compared press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders to the show's character Aunt Lydia. The joke had the Republicans calling out Wolf for going too far but Moss' response to the joke exemplified her role of Offred.

Speaking about the incident with GQ, Moss said, "I mean... It’s like, I can see it (similarity between Lydia and Sanders). But I actually like Aunt Lydia in a lot of ways. So I suppose that’s the difference between them! One of the things we tried to do this season is to really show there’s a human being in there and that there’s a person who at one point had a life [and] has compassion for these girls. I mean, I see a lot more humanity and compassion in Ann Dowd’s portrayal of Aunt Lydia [than in Sanders]. I’ll say that. I do."

0bb92e68-ec20-46df-b875-832f532636b9.jpg

A still from The Handmaid's Tale featuring Elizabeth Moss as Offred and Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia. (Source: Hulu)

This kind of response is something that we would expect from June Osborn and goes on to show that Moss has a knack for picking up the most interesting characters to play. While the third season of 'The Handmaid's Tale' will premiere on June 5, Moss will also be seen in Jordan Peele's upcoming horror movie 'Us'.

I don't really get how offred is back in the house. This is like the 10th time she's tried to eescape. Are the people in the Gilead just going to accept her back in the house? I really wanted a change of scenery for the show, I'm sick of her being in the giliad but at least they're showing a different perspective with the Resistance.

I don't really get how offred is back in the house. This is like the 10th time she's tried to eescape. Are the people in the Gilead just going to accept her back in the house? I really wanted a change of scenery for the show, I'm sick of her being in the giliad but at least they're showing a different perspective with the Resistance.

couldn't agree more
The first half of last season where she was in the plane was thrilling as hell
but then it just turned into the same ol song and dance
She doesn't even have to escape to canada or where her homegirl and husband are, but maybe to Mexico.
I was really intrigued when they came on that diplomacy visit to Gilead.

Gonna watch but hopefully a switch up comes in the first half.
They probably gonna bring in a new element to drag me back in like they did with the whole "Unwomen" aspect.
I'm a sucker for World building and building upon Mythology, show does that masterfully

The Handmaid's Tale Cast Teases Season 3: 'You Have to Fight Fire With Fire'

ELLY DASSAS/HULU

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/24/the-handmaids-tale-cast-teases-season-3/

Everyone has an opinion about how The Handmaid’s Tale ended last season: with June (Elisabeth Moss) — on the verge of safely escaping Gilead — suddenly deciding to send her infant daughter, Nichole, with Emily (Alexis Bledel) while she stays behind to rescue her firstborn, Hannah.

The divisive reaction “didn’t surprise me because it had been exactly the same with us discussing it,” admits showrunner Bruce Miller. “Even for myself, it was very hard. In your heart you’re like, ‘How the hell could she go?’ but then, if she stays, you’re like, ‘How the hell could she stay?’”

But stay June did, and now she’s on a mission. “You have to fight fire with fire,” Moss teases. “That’s become [June’s] journey in season 3. To fight against the people she has to fight, she has to become more like them.” Adds Miller: “We’re not doing a montage of June being radicalized — it’s 13 episodes. To see someone go through this process of becoming ruthless was a real challenge. We didn’t want to sensationalize it, or make it too morally easy, either.”

One immediate test June faces? The looming presence of Commander Lawrence (Bradley Whitford, now a series regular), who was introduced last season as a shadowy figure helping Emily flee. But as we saw in season 2’s final episodes, Lawrence is hardly so saintly — he’s known, in fact, as Gilead’s architect.

“He has a big brain, and it has overwhelmed his humanity,” says Whitford. “But his humanity is trying to fight back.” Lawrence’s dynamic with June is sure to keep viewers — and June — off-balance. “He’s testing her,” Whitford explains. “Is he going to open up to her? Is she going to be a partner in something I don’t think he even understands?”

Also still in Gilead is Serena Joy (Yvonne Strahovski), who has given up the baby she believes is hers in order to save its life. Now she must unexpectedly face June again and grapple with the consequences of their (partly) successful ploy. “They know one another too well,” Strahovski says of the two. Moss adds that the newly activist June sees in Serena a “power” that could change everything: “Together? Oh my God, they could topple the whole thing. Unfortunately, nothing is that simple.

For more Summer TV scoop, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday, or buy your choice of two different Game of Thrones covers — Daenerys or the Starks — now. Don’t forget to subscribe for more exclusive interviews and photos, only in EW.

Back
Top Bottom