'The Help' - Movie Thread

Wow just left the movie theater with my girl seeing this and the movie was excellent. Surprised to see a thread on here about it

All the characters really nailed their roles and I will say its the best movie I have seen this year far as being a serious flick goes. Drama, Comedy it had it all...few corny moments but overall pretty damn good.

Kinda disappointed to see alot of the comments in the thread so far. I think yall are off on the point of the movie right now and disregarding it on preconceived notions...but as they say to each his own.

I highly recommend checking it out tho. Its based on a best selling novel.

Originally Posted by ricky409

Originally Posted by DMoney82

Racism by contrast id indirectly people in a certain way that makes them look not as good as a counter part.

For instance, if we picked two people to represent your hometown to make a movie, you would probably pick two of your most successful people.

So the director comes to your town and my town, and chose two of the dirtiest people from your hood, and the cleanest from mine to make a movie.

In the movie people are going to naturally think my hood is better because the two people that were chose.

even though you have really nice people in your hood, people are going to assume that's how every one is, and think my town is better subconsciously.

now, replace hoods with race..

O ok. Got it but They are just showing how they did black maids back then and the how they came together to give their story on what it was like to be a black maid.

it is historically inaccurate because the thing is, in the movie, they make it seem like the black women enjoyed being second class citizens.

U tripping bru, these women hated that @!$ . They couldn't even go home to watch after their own but raise white children and get treated like @!$ at the same time. They couldn't even use the same toilet in the house. It was a storm outside and the white lady was going to make her go outside to use it. Fired her when she snuck into the house bathroom.

Movie was great.
At the end all you could hear was people sniffling lol.

Drop your preconceived notions and go watch it first.

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

Movie was great.
At the end all you could hear was people sniffling lol.

Drop your preconceived notions and go watch it first.
ha

I was shocked at the amount of white couples in the theater. They were crying more than a few of the older black couples. One white lady walked out in tears when they made them get off the bus and she was running home. I teared up then too real rap.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Ricky I swear your the most agreeable person I've never met  
6t1qfo.gif

but i will not contribute to the profit of that movie 

preciate it fambs....

monta.gif =
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
, word to the homey scshift.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

O ok. Got it but They are just showing how they did black maids back then and the how they came together to give their story on what it was like to be a black maid.

it is historically inaccurate because the thing is, in the movie, they make it seem like the black women enjoyed being second class citizens.
U tripping bru, these women hated that @!$ . They couldn't even go home to watch after their own but raise white children and get treated like @!$ at the same time. They couldn't even use the same toilet in the house. It was a storm outside and the white lady was going to make her go outside to use it. Fired her when she snuck into the house bathroom.

i feel you, and i stand corrected...

but lemme rephrase that, cuz i dont want you to think that i took from the movie that they liked their position.

but more or less accepted it.

someone pointed out that there werent alot of african american revolutionist... but how many movies ARE there about black people being in a superior or even equal position to white people?

not many, fambs.

and by the way, i have a theory that them slave masters would have much rather had the fine young'n in the house than some elderly woman. we all know they liked dippin in the sugar bowl.

if you smashing someone, feelings develop. the slave masters would look after the ones they were smashing by giving them more comfortable jobs. just my thoughts.

i also think that (even in today) most kids that are taught that people are beneath them tend to not have much respect for them.

like, take stepmoms for instance. there are alot of instances where the step mom gets dissed.

so what would make a lil white kid respect a slave?

i dont know fambs... sounds kinda fishy.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Racism by contrast.

Stop supporting crap like this.
100% Truth.  Black people should NOT be supporting movies like this, and with that being said alot of white people will absolutely love this movie and take the their entire family to support this.

I was shocked at the amount of white couples in the theater. 
I'm not, like I said above white people will be supporting this movie to the max for obvious reasons and I'm sure it will be up for an Oscar.

have to see it again though as i just gotten off of work and i was tired but i liked what i saw. GF balled like a baby. and for some reason with emma stone with her hair like that i'm like

While I haven't seen the movie I have read the book and it's definitely worth a read.

Y'all quick to jump on that racism tip.

It aint even about that.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Racism by contrast.

Stop supporting crap like this.
100% Truth.  Black people should NOT be supporting movies like this, and with that being said alot of white people will absolutely love this movie and take the their entire family to support this.
I was shocked at the amount of white couples in the theater. 

I'm not, like I said above white people will be supporting this movie to the max for obvious reasons and I'm sure it will be up for an Oscar.

This.

Read Pedagogy of the Oppressed and tell me this flick doesnt have racism by contrast. And I'm not even one of those folks who cry racism for everything, but it's obvious from even the title about this flick. Not even being stereotypical, but I know this flick will do well in the black female demographic.

This black mammy image is something else.

I listened to an NPR interview with a critic of the writer of the book the movie is based upon.
They basically came to the conclusion that the white writer of the the lives of black women
in the south not only doesnt to a good job but seems to downplay the true horrors and
makes it seem rosier than it actually was.
http://www.wnyc.org/shows.../context-and-movie-help/

The ill #@! about this flick is that black people will go in flocks to see these movies and defend them to the death., but havent even read books like The Isis Papers, Pedagogy of The Oppressed or even Malcolm X's autiobiograpy.

Get outta here.

I thought the movie was awesome. I saw it last week. Great acting and an honest, touching story line. My heart ached for those maids by the end of the movie.

This is the movie I keep hearing about?
30t6p3b.gif
I've been seen the commercials just forgot/didn't know the name cuz it looked so bad in ways not worth discussing.

just listen to tariq elites podcast on it

pretty sure that's where ricky is getting his reply's from

The "blacks" that i know said this was a good movie.

All im gonna say is that some people just cant handle the truth.............thats all.

lmao@ all ready

i heard that podcast, but i answered this question before that even came out.

and i think he approached it differently.

i don't want y'all to think I'm regurgitating someone else's ideas, fambs...

not trying to shine on you or nothing... just want it to be known.

that podcast came out a month and a half ago

i wasn't shooting shots at you

just saying that everything in that podcast states why this movie is trash from a social standpoint

i'm talking bout ep 298 "fake white liberalism"

Did people complain about the book?  It seemed like it was popular and didn't hear anything negative about it.

Originally Posted by All Ready

that podcast came out a month and a half ago

i wasn't shooting shots at you

just saying that everything in that podcast states why this movie is trash from a social standpoint

i'm talking bout ep 298 "fake white liberalism"

e-respect...

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom