'The Help' - Movie Thread

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

Originally Posted by BossPlaya0625

Another movie about blacks being liberated by whites...no thanks.
im saying
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
that's what i got from the trailer and was thoroughly disgusted. i refuse to see this movie. 

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

The "blacks" that i know said this was a good movie.

All im gonna say is that some people just cant handle the truth.............thats all.

yep

Originally Posted by FeedTheEgo1982

Originally Posted by DMoney82

Originally Posted by FeedTheEgo1982

What he is saying is that they picked beautiful examples of white women and society, but picked homely representations of black women and of course time period. They could have picked an attractive black actress to play these roles, but they systematically picked these examples to further the myth of white supremacy. Example, next time you watch tv, count the amount of beautiful black women you see compared to the humongous, obese black women. They sneak these lower standard women in all of the time. But to keep up with trends I'll just say this...

Dat shhh cray! Lol
lol I get what you saying but we know they weren't looking like Halle Berry cleaning up houses. Most of the maids in the movie were in their 50's and up. They started as teens and have been working until the children they watched over became the new owners. I think that Viola Davis a very beautiful black woman btw

Maybe some of them did look like Halle berry!! The husbands loved them some Nubian booty, resulting in a lot of mixed children. True about viola davis though. She is beautiful, but with the way she was portrayed, she could hold a candle to Emma in this movie.

I see where your coming from but i'd have to disagree. I've heard this argument used against Precious...specifically against Paula Patton's character. It was my cousin in fact who found issue with the fact that Patton played the character of the one who is good and "saves" precious and that its because she's beautiful and of the lighter shade she was cast as the teacher. I didn't think much of it then, but now i think it is ridiculous. i mean, what's the difference? If the maids were hot, would the situation be any different? at the end of the day the maids are black are struggling, and them using "old fat or ugly actresses" compared halley berry is irrelevant. In the end, this is white america and whites will always be perceived in a more positive light than blacks.

plus i think the emotional effect would be damped if halle were in there, cuz then you'd just be thinking ' damn halle looks fine as hell in that maid outfit'. with viola davis its 'man they really had it hard back then...
30t6p3b.gif
at this racism'....tell me im lying. come at me bro.

another thing. all the black actresses in this movie who agreed to do this film...if so many are seeing this movie negatively then what are the actresses seeing differently? how come they don't see it as "another movie where blacks are being liberated by whites" ??
nerd.gif

just food for thought, not shots fired..

um....

Because there's a paycheck and there is a high possibility this movie will be Oscar nominated, which would be a high accomplishment for an actor.

plus, people always complain about there not being enough roles for black actresses, as is.

Read this article on "The Help" by a female attorney and writer: http://is.gd/akuLdn

Back
Top Bottom