'The Help' - Movie Thread

dmoney82

Banned
I didn't see a thread on it. I saw it tonight and it was one of the best movies I've seen in years. It was funny and had it's moments where you fought to hold back your tears. I dropped one, I tried my hardest but the anger and frustration was just building and it was to much to hold back.

Go see it, that's all I can tell you.

Prob next up on my to watch list, this looks good plus it got Emma Stone in it.

This movie wasn't on my radar but a friend of mine wanted to watch it. This film ended up being a very good movie and I think it was done pretty well. Go ahead and watch it, you won't regret it.

Racism by contrast id indirectly people in a certain way that makes them look not as good as a counter part.

For instance, if we picked two people to represent your hometown to make a movie, you would probably pick two of your most successful people.

So the director comes to your town and my town, and chose two of the dirtiest people from your hood, and the cleanest from mine to make a movie.

In the movie people are going to naturally think my hood is better because the two people that were chose.

even though you have really nice people in your hood, people are going to assume that's how every one is, and think my town is better subconsciously.

now, replace hoods with race..

I haven't even seen the movie and I can tell you're reaching.
They're just depicting the time period it's in.

Originally Posted by ricky409

Racism by contrast id indirectly people in a certain way that makes them look not as good as a counter part.

For instance, if we picked two people to represent your hometown to make a movie, you would probably pick two of your most successful people.

So the director comes to your town and my town, and chose two of the dirtiest people from your hood, and the cleanest from mine to make a movie.

In the movie people are going to naturally think my hood is better because the two people that were chose.

even though you have really nice people in your hood, people are going to assume that's how every one is, and think my town is better subconsciously.

O ok. Got it but They are just showing how they did black maids back then and the how they came together to give their story on what it was like to be a black maid.

What he is saying is that they picked beautiful examples of white women and society, but picked homely representations of black women and of course time period. They could have picked an attractive black actress to play these roles, but they systematically picked these examples to further the myth of white supremacy. Example, next time you watch tv, count the amount of beautiful black women you see compared to the humongous, obese black women. They sneak these lower standard women in all of the time. But to keep up with trends I'll just say this...
Dat shhh cray! Lol

Originally Posted by FeedTheEgo1982

What he is saying is that they picked beautiful examples of white women and society, but picked homely representations of black women and of course time period. They could have picked an attractive black actress to play these roles, but they systematically picked these examples to further the myth of white supremacy. Example, next time you watch tv, count the amount of beautiful black women you see compared to the humongous, obese black women. They sneak these lower standard women in all of the time. But to keep up with trends I'll just say this...
Dat shhh cray! Lol
lol I get what you saying but we know they weren't looking like Halle Berry cleaning up houses. Most of the maids in the movie were in their 50's and up. They started as teens and have been working until the children they watched over became the new owners. I think that Viola Davis a very beautiful black woman btw

Originally Posted by DMoney82

O ok. Got it but They are just showing how they did black maids back then and the how they came together to give their story on what it was like to be a black maid.

it is historically inaccurate because the thing is, in the movie, they make it seem like the black women enjoyed being second class citizens.

it rubs society the wrong way when minorities are in the same light as white folks.

you turn on tv, and always see fat, ugly, sassy, horrible talking black women next to beautiful, rich smart white women (tv shows scrubs, the view)

but when you take it back to older days when being white was an actual priviledge, then that fits better in white america.

dont get it twisted... if any of them black maids would throw one of them lil white kids they watched over in a river to get some equal rights, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

movies like that make it seem like they wouldnt.

Originally Posted by BossPlaya0625

Another movie about blacks being liberated by whites...no thanks.

THIS! I saw this B!#$% at work reading the book. She's already conservative, hates Obama, Exclusionary, thinks she's better, the list goes on. All I could say was, "Hm. You WOULD!" And she better not turn around and ask me anything about it. And on the cool, I'm not even irate like that. But some things are just Racist. Albeit, sometimes unbeknownst to the offender, but still racist. *Queue Chappelle show clip..."Not THAT was racist!"

I caught the movie last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure what ricky409 is trying to explain, but what I saw in the movie were the black maids that made the best of their situation. They had children and families of their own that needed to be taken care of, and if taking care of white children was the way to do it, then that's what they did. The maids were all strong black women that put up with plenty of #%+%@++! from their white employers.

The maids in the movie did want equal rights, but were not willing to jeopardize their livelihoods to attain it, but in telling their stories to Emma Stone character they felt as if they were doing there part to help the race. Back in those days, not every black person was a revolutionary, there was a vast "silent majority" that went through the days keeping their down and going through the motions.

I recommend everyone see the movie, and if you really enjoy it read the book, or vice versa. It may make you feel some type of way about white people but most quality films strike an emotional chord with the viewers.

Ricky I swear your the most agreeable person I've never met  
6t1qfo.gif

but i will not contribute to the profit of that movie 

Originally Posted by DMoney82

Originally Posted by FeedTheEgo1982

Dat shhh cray! Lol
lol I get what you saying but we know they weren't looking like Halle Berry cleaning up houses. Most of the maids in the movie were in their 50's and up. They started as teens and have been working until the children they watched over became the new owners. I think that Viola Davis a very beautiful black woman btw

Maybe some of them did look like Halle berry!! The husbands loved them some Nubian booty, resulting in a lot of mixed children. True about viola davis though. She is beautiful, but with the way she was portrayed, she could hold a candle to Emma in this movie.

it is historically inaccurate because the thing is, in the movie, they make it seem like the black women enjoyed being second class citizens.

it rubs society the wrong way when minorities are in the same light as white folks.

you turn on tv, and always see fat, ugly, sassy, horrible talking black women next to beautiful, rich smart white women (tv shows scrubs, the view)

but when you take it back to older days when being white was an actual priviledge, then that fits better in white america.

dont get it twisted... if any of them black maids would throw one of them lil white kids they watched over in a river to get some equal rights, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

movies like that make it seem like they wouldnt.

I wonder if it's only white people who dislike when minorities are portrayed as equal to/better than white people?

Me personally, I know it's shallow and wrong, but I like whenever I see a minority portrayed as respectable and admirable in the movies. It seems like most movies just show minorities as inferior/weak/unpopular compared to white people and I've gotten so used to that, whenever something breaks the chain I feel like that's cool.

It's not only for blacks either... all minorities get snubbed big time in Hollywood. That's why I was nodding my head at Fast Five when Han (the Asian) gets the hottest chick, or Crash when the Hispanic man was the most morally correct in the movie or Hancock where a black man is the hero of the movie.

Minorities rarely get any love in the media.

Back
Top Bottom