THE INVENTION OF LYING

Discussion in 'General' started by antonlavey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. antonlavey

antonlavey Banned

Parts of this movie and it's premise are meh and too farfetched....but this scene where he is explaining what happens when you die is jokes. As he explainsto people the story he made up about the after-life and God, it raises more questions.[​IMG]

I can't help but feel like the movie was a commentary on religion.

Anyone else see this?

Lady-How do you know all these things?
    Mark Bellison-Because the man in the sky told me.[​IMG]

2. j23s

j23s

Haven't seen it yet but I plan on checking it out

3. antonlavey

antonlavey Banned

This movie is pretty clever.

4. 410fresh

410fresh Banned

LAME

5. antonlavey

antonlavey Banned

Do you care to say why you thought it was lame? You stay coming in my threads with the negative comments with no explanation. You tryna up yourpost count or something?

6. luckyp90

luckyp90

Im going to watch this, I remember someone else posted about this earlier and it sounds interesting.

7. caponecartels

caponecartels Banned

Starting the movie right now.
    Will be back later to discuss.

8. djmano34

djmano34

exactly! i saw it after reading the other thread about it. it was a good movie. recommended.

9. lobotomybeats

lobotomybeats

Anton, I loved this movie.I saw it opening night and left totally satisfied. Easily my favorite of the year. Ricky Gervais is a genius and deserves all of thepraise he receives.

And of course the premise is far-fetched, it takes place in an alternate universe. So few comedies take artistic liberties. This comedy took some and ran withthem to great results.

10. antonlavey

antonlavey Banned

Albeit, far-fetched I think the premise was handled exceptionally without making it corny. I loved the social commentary and satire on religion, after-lifeand romance[​IMG]. I don't know which reality I would prefer to live in.On the one hand lying gives people hope, on the other hand I prefer my relations with others to be as straight foward and truthful as possible. I kinda likedtheir no nonsense, open approach to dating and relationships.[​IMG] I'dlike it if more often people said what they meant and meant what they said.

11. lobotomybeats

lobotomybeats

This was thread a bit ago about the positived of lying to thedying.

12. antonlavey

antonlavey Banned

Looks like a typical NT religious debate thread....someone questions religious beliefs or the after-life....religious NTer sees it as an attack.

BDW I would lie about the after-life if it provided last comfort to the dying.

On that same note, I love how humans in the movie didn't necessarily treat each other better with the revelation of the man in the sky. The guy outsidepreaching about how we can still do 2 bad deeds had me[​IMG].

Are we religious because it is the right thing, or are we doing it for the positive reinforcement?

13. lobotomybeats

lobotomybeats

Good point, Anton. There wasn't any more love due to the revelation that there was a reward. Such a nice poignant comedy from a genuinely great thinker.There was so much heart to the film. Ricky has yet to hit a snag in anything he does.

14. essential1

essential1

Haven't seen it but I need to, Ricky Gervais is one of the funniest comics out right now.

15. milestailsprowe

milestailsprowe

I saw it and thought it was great in peices but it had really dull parts. I found it halirous how you pulled a story or two out his +*+ like this. My religiousfriends were anger at the movie when he lied about there being god. Then everyone believed him and believed in the "Man in the sky". Good movie

16. antonlavey

antonlavey Banned

They called the church "A quiet place to talk about the man in the sky"[​IMG]

Yea I can see religious groups being heated at this movie. It was blasphemous.

Commandments on the pizza box[​IMG].....

17. caponecartels

caponecartels Banned

2/3 through the movie.
    it's Hilarious.

18. Nujabez

Nujabez formerly gatorad3

Saw this movie in the $3 theaters with my bro and cousin. It had funny parts but I literally fell asleep when he got a new house and woke up 5 minutes beforeit ended. Was confused at what was going on.

"fat kids with stubby noses"

19. Master Zik

Master Zik

I need to see this. [​IMG]

Damn lobo [​IMG] @ that thread [​IMG]

20. lobotomybeats

lobotomybeats

my favorite part was when he was satirically making fun of the idea that 'god only gives us what we can handle.' When he is explaining that everythingthat happens is the result of god someone says "what about my cancer". Ricky's character Mark replies, "Yes" %*$+$!% brilliant

21. antonlavey

antonlavey Banned

People were borderline ******ed in this movie, they were like little kids who can't think for themselves. God gave the gives cancer but alsocures it. He creates natural disasters but death leads to mansions and ice cream so it all works out for the best.

I love how Jonah Hill's character decides to take the L in this lifetime because he presumes better things are waiting for him in the next life. Kinda sadactually.

22. lobotomybeats

lobotomybeats

That all sounds so familiar eh???

In one fell swoop, Ricky showed the lone benefit of religion (hope) and how ridiculous the premises for that same hope are.

23. caponecartels

caponecartels Banned

When Ricky opens the door as Jesus [​IMG]

24. luckyp90

luckyp90

I just watched it a while ago, it was alright.

"Wait listen. The man.. who lives in the sky and controls everything is also responsible for all the good stuff that happens"
    "He's the guy that saved my life on that fishing trip when the boat capsized?"
    "Yes"
    "Did he capsize the boat?"
    "..yeah"

[​IMG]

25. mcflyyy

mcflyyy

anton, not only have you named yourself after a lunatic but you seem so unhappy in life. you stay parading around niketalk bashing religion. you really spun amovie about the effects of dishonesty into an anti-religion fest. go sit down somewhere, dog.. God still loves you.