The Mission to Get Osama Bin Laden: The New Yorker Article

Just saw how much text was actually posted so edited to save your eyes lol.  If you're interested on a great read click the link below.

***Cliff Notes***
- They wanted Osama
- They got him

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/08/08/110808fa_fact_schmidle#ixzz1Tu2LDGOg

[h1]Getting Bin Laden[/h1] [h2]What happened that night in Abbottabad.[/h2] [h4] by Nicholas Schmidle August 8, 2011 [/h4]

110808_r21159_p465.jpg

No American was yet inside the residential part of the compound. The operatives had barely been on target for a minute, and the mission was already veering off course. Photoillustration by John Ritter.

[article=""]
Shortly after eleven o’clock on the night of May 1st, two MH-60 Black Hawk helicopters lifted off from Jalalabad Air Field, in eastern Afghanistan, and embarked on a covert mission into Pakistan to kill Osama bin Laden. Inside the aircraft were twenty-three Navy SEALs from Team Six, which is officially known as the Naval Special Warfare Development Group, or DEVGRU. A Pakistani-American translator, whom I will call Ahmed, and a dog named Cairo—a Belgian Malinois—were also aboard. It was a moonless evening, and the helicopters’ pilots, wearing night-vision goggles, flew without lights over mountains that straddle the border with Pakistan. Radio communications were kept to a minimum, and an eerie calm settled inside the aircraft.

Fifteen minutes later, the helicopters ducked into an alpine valley and slipped, undetected, into Pakistani airspace. For more than sixty years, Pakistan’s military has maintained a state of high alert against its eastern neighbor, India. Because of this obsession, Pakistan’s “principal air defenses are all pointing east,
[/article]

lol, maybe I should have just posted a link instead of copy\paste. I thought it was a great article and I enjoy reading whatever Nicholas Schmidle writes. Just wanted to share.

I read this yesterday and I thought it was a great piece with new information throughout the article. especially in regards to DEVGRU.

I read this yesterday. Great read. Not sure the writer but he was very entertaining...actually posted this on my FB... No one cared lol

Whats the deal with Pakistan and India. I met a very cute Pakistani girl in school last semester and she went ballistic when I asked her if she was considered Desi. I did not know and wanted to educate myself. She eventually told me not to call her anymore.

Crazy Read. Amazing amount of detail about the Mission.  What got me though was when the writer points out, "James nodded and said that [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Cairo was in an adjoining room, muzzled, at the request of the Secret Service."[/color] At the Request of the Secret Service?....SMH? In my mind I was like what is the Dog going to say something? haha just couldn't understand that. Either way a good read all the way through. 

Originally Posted by ERS

Crazy Read. Amazing amount of detail about the Mission.  What got me though was when the writer points out, "James nodded and said that [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Cairo was in an adjoining room, muzzled, at the request of the Secret Service."[/color] At the Request of the Secret Service?....SMH? In my mind I was like what is the Dog going to say something? haha just couldn't understand that. Either way a good read all the way through. 
Probably because they didn't want an attack dog to possibly harm the president (as well trained as those dogs are, don't want to take any chances), and I think it was for an added bit of levity to the situation (and thus, the story).

Back
Top Bottom