The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Chiesa v Magny WEDNESDAY 1/20 @6AM on ESPN

Joined Jul 2, 2013
What a clinic by T City. Got damn! Mans put in mad work while he was out. A lot more patient, his footwork and variety was mad impressive, looked like a completely different fighter. The jab and feints were money, kept TKZ off rhythm and kept him from pressuring. While I still favor the champ, T City can give Volkanovski a run for his money. Hope they book that ASAP.

That spinning elbow took the life out of TKZ man smh. Sad to see him go out like that. Looked like all they had was a plan A tonight.

Joined Aug 30, 2012
T City looked solid and bounced back from his last loss. The fact he out struck Korean Zombie is major. Zombie looked flat and never really engaged or pressed the fight. Expected a violent war but Brian imposed his will.

Andrade probably gets a title shot at 125 for beating Koochagin (sp). She looked strong at 125. The Bullet might be too much. But that division is so shallow so we need competitors.

Joined Aug 30, 2012
Then again...we had Rose winning against Andrade. And a wham bam slam thank you ma’am got Jessica the SW title. But I’m all about Valentina putting on a clinic against Andrade after 255.

Joined Nov 5, 2012
Hated that game plan by T-City to stand and strike with KZ but credit to him for getting that W
He vastly improved his defense and wasn’t out there to brawl. He was quite intentional with his strikes and very patient

if anything I hated zombies gameplan loading up power shots instead of volume. He was very predictable

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Then again...we had Rose winning against Andrade. And a wham bam slam thank you ma’am got Jessica the SW title. But I’m all about Valentina putting on a clinic against Andrade after 255.
And I'm def not slighting Jessica since o thought she was going to beat Rose in the 1st match but didnt think she was going to slam Rose. She also did really well in their rematch. It's just that valentina and nunes are the goats. Valentina won their 2nd match imo

Joined Jan 7, 2004
Very clear "T-City" been in the lab with Rener. Honestly I thought KZ was the wrong fight to take after the Max beating and long layoff. Ortega's striking has improved leaps and bounds. His stand-up defense much, much better. Holloway was tagging him at will end of 2018.

That controlled aggression, Zombie was waiting to counter too much. R1 obvious 10-9 for "T-City." KZ looked much better in R2 as he started opening up and being more active with strikes, until Ortega's spinning elbow stunned him. Thus, another 10-9 for "T-City." Elbow likely changed momentum and complexion of the fight. Zombie didn't really mount a rally after R2. KZ didn't look comfortable after the head clash in R4. Kept pawing at his left eye, drawing attention to it.

Besides defense, there's two things I loved most from Ortega's stand-up tonight. Late in the fight, "T-City" constantly grabbed at Zombie's lead leg to make him remain conscious about the level change and takedown attempts (something I wanted Costa to do against Adesanya). The other being striking off the takedown attempt. I think Ortega truly surprised KZ with a clean shot (right hand?) when "T-City" drove Zombie back into the cage with a takedown attempt. It was either in R3 or R4 (I forget).

Joined Jul 2, 2013
One of the biggest changes T City made to his team was getting Dr. Jason Park (Anderson Silva's coach) as his striking/strength and conditioning coach. Mans been putting in work at Chute box and it did wonders for him.

TKZ IG post says he doesn't remember anything after the 2nd. More than likely he was concussed from the elbow.

Joined Jul 18, 2012
I musta watched a different fight than yall... for 145 lbs both of them were beyond slow. Technically Ortega was average. Particularly until the 4th when he started grabbing the leg. Zombie jus didnt show up, looked like a bellator or PFL guy. Why he didnt go back to the lead uppercut or throw knees, attempt a thai clinch beyond me. Amateurish. Maybe the nerves of the empty building. I also noticed his arms were fatiguing in the 2nd round. He dropped his gaurd to shake the blood out a ton starting super early.

I will bet against Ortega against anyone in the top of the division.

Joined Nov 4, 2003
The elbow by Ortega turned that fight... KZs head was scrambled big time and he couldn’t recover... Ortega at the very least showed a diff game plan but will need to protect his legs from Alex in their fight... I wouldn’t expect Brian to stand with him, probably try to bait him into a ground fight

Joined Jul 2, 2013
Saying Ortega was average and Zombie didn't show is similar to people saying Costa didn't show up against Izzy. Ortega was setting traps up all night. From the leg kicks, using TDs to land his over hands or elbows, and initiating the clinch so he can land off the break then circle out. TKZ couldn't close distance and pocket fight like he wanted cause Ortega kept him guessing the whole time with variety and that jab constantly broke his rhythm.

Ortega for sure leveled up and showed some elite skill sets and defense. If he can manage distance against the champ, it'll definitely be a fun fight.

Joined Nov 10, 2007
Im okay with a title shot for Ortega, but I thought he just looked fine, kz was pretty much a sitting duck and Ortega got whatever he wanted in the standup

Joined Jul 18, 2012
False. Ortega was average because he was average. He still backs straight up with that garbage james toney half cage. Hes still slow. He still doesnt know what to do when getting walked down... etc etc etc.

He won, great for him. Zombie looked bad. Period. It wasnt because tactically he was doing intelligent things. When he landed the elbow tmzombie shut it all the way down. Seemed like he had one thing prepared... pressure until he fired then cou ter with those wild hooks and step in uppercut. He was affecting Ortegas legs but he had no plan for that and didnt recognize the openings that were presented.

Like I said, I'll bet the house on Volk if that's the fight... it will be ugly.

Joined Nov 10, 2007
Kz was a sitting duck last night, people understand that volk is the opposite right? It's how he beat max

I didn't see anything last night that made me think volk is in trouble

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now