The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

Seeing a lot of people saying they saw it as a draw, including Khabib .

What are yall’s thoughts on damage vs volume. Somewhat reminds me of Lawler v Condit where Carlos was landing maybe more often but Robbie was landing bombs. I think Dustin hurting Max as much as he did offset a lot of the work Max was doing when it came to scoring.

I’d rather be Dustin at the end of that fight, and I don’t think Max’s volume was so far above Dustin’s that it could actually make up for how much he was getting hurt.

Depends on how you judge the fifth round. Holding Max against the cage and what others considered Porier’s more significant strikes.

Dustin was clearly in trouble in rounds 3&4. He admitted to it in the post fight.

Personally, I had it as a draw.

Max miscalculated. You can’t bounce between weigh classes. Porier is a “dedicated” light weight. Bigger. Battle tested against the divisions best. Max should’ve taken some tune up fights. But can’t fault him for taking the homeboy hookup.

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/87126427cfcaee52

At first I thought it was a draw but was leaning Dustin just a tad

Looking through the stats and then what happened, I still hold that opinion. The sig strikes were basically even
R1: Dustin 10-8 possibly 10-7
R2: Was somewhat of a toss up, Dustin landed a knockdown
R3: Max
R4: Max
R5: Toss up

Yes, Dustin did say he was hurt, but Max went straight to the hospital. There's a difference

Max was visibly shaken and rocked several times. When the stats, rounds and overall fight are close, I'll look towards who seemed to be laboring or closer to being finished. That was clearly Max

Depends on how you judge the fifth round. Holding Max against the cage and what others considered Porier’s more significant strikes.

Dustin was clearly in trouble in rounds 3&4. He admitted to it in the post fight.

Personally, I had it as a draw.

Max miscalculated. You can’t bounce between weigh classes. Porier is a “dedicated” light weight. Bigger. Battle tested against the divisions best. Max should’ve taken some tune up fights. But can’t fault him for taking the homeboy hookup.

Definitely miscalculated, that’s probably my biggest conclusion from all this. I think the fight mighta been different if Max took his time to make the jump the right way, but it is what it is now.

Yes, Dustin did say he was hurt, but Max went straight to the hospital. There's a difference

Max was visibly shaken and rocked several times. When the stats, rounds and overall fight are close, I'll look towards who seemed to be laboring or closer to being finished. That was clearly Max

That’s basically how I see it. I was rooting for Max but the man was getting rocked hard over and over, hard to give him close rounds when that happens

Paulo Costa talking that ****

Damn Kelvin out here catching strays

Significant strikes. Dustin definitely had the advantage.

In Round 4, that knee that bloodied up Max was probably a major significant strike compared to the volume of strikes Max landed.

Round 1, Max definitely was getting hit with some serious heat.

Ultimately, there’s weight classes for a reason. I’m not crying that Dustin won. Max was not ready.

Max should take some time off. And Dustin get ready for that overwhelming grappling.

A DRAW?????

Damn im glad yall aint scoring these fights professionally....

SO after all that.....max almost gets finished in the 1st, the total 4-5 knockdowns DP had, the knee that caused the major CUT between max's eye....NEVER had dustin rocked, NEVER dropped dustin, NEVER cut dustin...NEVER got a takedown..... you gonna score a DRAW and not crown a definitive winner????

NAH man. The bias is real.

I mean Max's output was there and max was able to SURVIVE and hang in there all 5, but cmon dude....he was getting boxed up in there. Dustin walked through all of max's shots last night and basically big brothered him.

Just call a spade a spade, max aint strong enough for 55, def not top 5 yet.

Khabib thought it was a draw

You could make an argument

Max got rounds 3 and 4 and possibly 5

I don't like the 10 point system at all for this reason because imo Dustin clearly had Max hurt much more

so khabib jumps off a bridge....

wtf care what khabib think....he probably wanted the money fight with max as well.

I mean look at Max's face after the fight man....MAX survived and fired back, won a round or 2 with volume...but thats it. Dustin walked through him all 25.

What's the argument for max???

Just saying, you can make the case if you're going off the 10 point system. You give the 5th to Max, which isn't out of the question, and that changes everything

Dustin rested for 2 rounds, which Max imo won

Khabib thought it was a draw

You could make an argument

Max got rounds 3 and 4 and possibly 5

I don't like the 10 point system at all for this reason because imo Dustin clearly had Max hurt much more

The case could be easily made that Max got the last three rounds. I thought it was more of a draw tho.

The knee in the 4th might have been the most significant strike of the fight and wins dustin that round no question.

Here are 4 links and their opinions round by round. Many have Max winning round 4 and 1 even said Max won round 2

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/U...nd-Scoring-152687#max-holloway-dustin-poirier
https://www.mmamania.com/2019/4/9/1...adesanya-live-stream-play-by-play-updates-mma
https://mmajunkie.com/2019/04/ufc-2...lum-israel-adesanya-play-by-play-live-results
https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/14/18309329/ufc-236-live-blog-max-holloway-vs-dustin-poirier-2

Sherdog Scores
Adam Martin scores the round: 10-9 Holloway
Tyler Treese scores the round: 10-9 Holloway
Cole Shelton scores the round: 10-9 Poirier
Read more at https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/U...undbyRound-Scoring-152687#RducVesrlCEKIwom.99

Round 4: Both land right hands, Holloway’s is harder. Poirier gets in deep on a takedown, gets Holloway to his butt. One minute in. Holloway gets to his feet, separates with a knee to the body. Counter right by Poirier. They trade in the clinch. Holloway getting the combinations going. He’s got Poirier on the fence, opening up. Back to the center. Hard right hands inside from Poirier. 3-2 from Poirier. Holloway backs him to the fence again and punishes the body. Two minutes to go.

Right hands to the body and head from Holloway. Poirier firing the jab. Overhand right lands clean. Holloway lands a body kick. Clinch knee from Poirier splits Holloway’s face open. Poirier marching after him. One minute to go. Holloway clubs him with punches inside and Poirier shoots. Holloway stuffs it and rolls for a front choke at the bell. 10-9 Holloway.

Round 4 – Holloway runs into a straight right and keeps pressing. Poirier ducks under for a takedown and gets it against the fence. Holloway pushes the head down, seated against the fence. Holloway digs for underhooks and gets back to his feet. Holloway threatens the choke and then nails a knee after separating. He gets right back into Poirier’s face and fights inside. Holloway is starting to catch Poirier against the fence. Poirier covering up for dear life as the punches keep coming. He escapes to center cage, and fires off big shots. Holloway takes a few and resets, and Holloway sneaks in a right elbow. Poirier allows himself to get cornered, and they trade in close, with Holloway landing another brutal knee in close. Poirier comes forward slinging heavy leather, and Holloway takes a few heavy shots. Phone booth fighting, and Poirier lands a knee that opens up Holloway badly. Holloway is bleeding all over the place. He waves in Poirier, and slams him with a shot, and another takedown follows. They hit the fence, and Holloway again threatens the guillotine. Stall as Holloway sprawls, and Poirier misses the adjustment. Suddenly, Holloway rolls for a D’Arce, and time expires. MMA Junkie scores it 10-9 for Holloway, and the score is 39-36.

Round 4: We enter the championship rounds and Poirer does look refreshed but he’s still backing up. Poirier ducks under a Max straight and secures a takedown against the fence. Max is posting though and it’s only a matter of time before he gets up. Still good for Poirier who needs to shorten this fight. Max is up with Poirier still holding a single. Max uses a guillotine to threaten and then lands a big knee as he separates. Max is relentless and still working the body. Poirier’s hands are coming up much slower and now he’s target practice against the fence!Dustin is clearly exhausted but he fires a great combo that has Max backing away now. The swings in this fight! Max has him against the fence again and is hammering the body. Dustin is doing a good job of avoiding a kill shot but his ribs have to be toast. He can still snap Max’s head back though and he does with a jab. Poirier has completely abandoned his leg and body work and now he’s in full head hunting mode. Poirier looks to be getting a second wind as Max is busted open and pouring blood from the face! Max is talking to him now and lands a huge elbow in the clinch. Dustin ducks down for a takedown and Max has the neck but isn’t going for a choke. The round ends with Poirier holding onto a single leg and Max dropping for an anaconda choke at the bell.

MMAFightins scores the round 10-9 for Poirier (38-38 overall)

Yeah. It’s all subjective.

MMA scoring is open to so much interpretation. One Knee wins a round? Shrugs shoulders. Or holding him against a cage for 90 seconds?

I can see why the judges and some have Porier winning the fight. I’m not mad.

Again, Max was not ready. And his form of fighting doesn’t work without some meat and steam behind them at that division. He was a gnat. Imagine if he tried to fight Terminator RDA. It’s the same reason why Pettis got washed at 145. It’s better to fight a few fights in a weight class. Work out how much muscle, nutrition, conditioning is necessary to adjust to less or more weight. DC would’ve looked worse against JBJ if he hadn’t fought at LHW a few times. Same with Santos. The homeboy hookup is never the right way to get a title shot. Word to TJ.

dustin-poirier-max-holloway-ufc-236-scorecard.jpg

I'm shocked round 1 was 10-9 across the board.

See how dumb scoring/judging is?

I had it as a 10-8 for Dustin. Max’s head (in that round) was bouncing more than Westbrook today.

See how dumb scoring/judging is?

I had it as a 10-8 for Dustin. Max’s head (in that round) was bouncing more than Westbrook today.

I think the end result was correct I'm just surprised at the scoring. Personally I had it:

Round 1 10-8 Dustin
Round 2 10-9 Dustin
Round 3 10-9 Max
Round 4 10-9 Max
Round 5 10-9 Dustin

Edit: Dustin 48-46 I suck at math lol

I believe they were using the new scoring as well which would explain why they all gave Dustin the 4th as the knee was likely the most damaging strike of the night.

Last edited:
Whatever the scores were, it’s clear Poirier is lucky he got he didn’t fight Nate before got his title shot. Max is basically a smaller version of Nate with the exception that Nate’s BJJ is way better. The Poirier that beat Max last night, would’ve been stopped or subbed by Nate.

As far as the argument for a Draw goes, Dustin nearly finished Max twice and Max nearly finished Dustin twice. That ought to be enough to say it could’ve been a draw.

Well if we want to do MMA math, MJ beat Dustin and Nate beat MJ so I guess Nate would have dominated Dustin?!?!

Kidding but if someone with decent speed and some power stands and trades with Dustin he does leave himself open but Max was getting lit up that first round and didn't answer til the next couple rounds.

Back
Top Bottom