The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Nate Diaz is back Saturday 8/17 @7PM on PPV

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by Vincent Van Goat, Dec 1, 2013.

1. I’m curious about what their numbers are looking like. I know I’ve barely been watching this year, and my friends who used to never miss an event too are pretty similar. I’m almost turning into a casual in some ways.

I wonder if the new fans they’re getting from the new partnerships are offsetting the folks who are watching less now because of the decrease in quality cards

2. I think it’s a case of two things. They were doing huge business 2015-2016 thanks to having two of the most popular MMA stars of all time. 1 Million + PPV buys. Which led to the amazing sale.

But Conor and Ronda were literally lightning in a bottle. And their careers were short.

Zuffa didn’t try to invest in the stars of tomorrow. Which is why their cards (even before ESPN) were not doing big numbers.

The second thing is content is king right now. Disney/ESPN are trying to capitalize on streaming services (and ultimately they own Fox now anyway) so having UFC under their umbrella is necessary. DaZone, HBO, Showtime, ESPN, etc are all competitors in this segment.

We’re trying to say they’re successful. Yes because of the deal. Not because of their business. Their cards do low buy rate. We have no clue what Reebok is doing from having a partnership. I’d actually say Boxing is making a resurgence based on what...stars like Wilder, Fury, Canello, GGG, etc. UFC has the talent but they still think the old business model of the brand and a card experience are greater than the people who enable that. Chicken or the egg.

blackcease likes this.
  3. Yeah Dana and the bros def sold wolf tickets thanks to a handful of fighters. That is a for sure

And to Dana's ever green fortune, the streaming business has picked up at the perfect moment and Disney money aint ever running out

He stays winning and for probably doing less. He has no real incentive or pressure to do any of the organic stuff. The money is coming up front I believe so the numbers aren't even as impactful in a way

4. shogun

shogun

Wish they had real competition that would force them to improve. bellator has viacom money but I really don’t care what they do anymore. one fc seems to be headed in the right direction.

5. If any of the competition became a serious threat Zuffa would probably end up buying them, especially now that they have Disney

Bellator has a bunch of young talent that could easily be in the ufc but bellator is as inept at marketing them as anyone

The other orgs don’t have the talent to ever be viewed in the same building as the ufc

6. keko jones

keko jones

Only female MMA fighter that I dont mind watching are as follow ..

Amanda
    Rose
    Joanna
    And maybe Valentina

Besides that ... everything else is like whatever man ....

7. I like watching Grasso, Germaine de Randame, Claudia Gadelha, and of course Rachel Ostevich

8. keko jones

keko jones

They cool, but is not something that I'm tuning in to watch. More like if I catch it I catch it

9. One of Jon Jones beefs and old training partner of DC

10. Henry Cejudo is so annoying.
    He's a accomplished more in combat sports than any but he's not the most dominate UFC champ and he's walking around like he is.

freakydestroyer likes this.
  11. jayt1202

jayt1202

Can't wait for the Diaz-Pettis scrap on Sat. He does bring up some good points in the interview.

12. HYPR

HYPR

Man said he wants to fight Valentina for the intergender championship, :lol:

13. shogun

shogun

Dude got jokes. valentina would be put to sleep.

14. xbiker47

xbiker47

glad to see Nate back and speaking

15. HYPR

HYPR

100x out of 100.

Which reminds me...

When Ronda was steamrolling everyone a few years ago, I'm pretty sure Rogan's dumbass said she could beat 50% of the men @ bantamweight.

:rofl:

16. I was listening to the MMA Beyond Podcast (w Ray Longo and Steve Maraboli).

They discussed the women’s fight. Honestly, Amanda is the only one challenging ALL comers (Cyborg, Ronda, Valentina X2, Raquel Pennington, Holy Holm, Meisha Tate, etc). After fighting GDR, she just needs to run it back with Cat Zingano and she can retire.

Valentina, arguably, won her last fight with Amanda (depending on how you look at it). And she has Joanna’s number. But...that last fight didn’t do her any favors. And she’s beating on women smaller than her or who aren’t competitive.

Rose is legit but 115 talent isn’t as deep as 135. I used to think otherwise but my opinion has shifted.

JJ is legit. But obviously Rose and Valentina have her number.

17. After a GDR fight and the Zigano fight, I would like to see Amanda vs Valentina 3 as Amanda's last fight. After that fight, what left would she have to prove?

19. shogun

shogun

Saw the e60 on cormier. I knew he had a baby daughter that passed away but didn't know she was only a few months old and it was a car accident.

20. That’s sad, man. Parents should never bury their children.

DC is a good dude.

21. xbiker47

xbiker47

Call me crazy but I truly believe this is the type of stuff that will motivate DC

22. I always like seeing these from the CA commission, wish all commissions would do this

23. dman14

dman14

i think DC is done after the stipe fight. that weight cut gets more and more difficult and he hasn't done it in a long time. seems like he has his post career set and will be fine with the outcome.
    as much as those Ls loom over him, jones has that dark cloud where folks say he fought dirty. jones sees it as his biggest payday and a chance to shut any naysers for good, but DC calling the shot

ufc is so lucky that espn/dis bid against themselves. not even sure what the other option would've been.