The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

Well if Volk somehow wins then who knows maybe Charles gets the shot without having to fight again. But that would screw up the FW division if they made winner of Emmett-Yair sit on the sidelines holding the paper belt.

Yeah I hope he gets the next shot regardless - he won what, 3 straight defenses?

i mean this in the nicest way possible because it is a bad thing to say but i cant wait till the next ufc fighter catches a domestic case to see what happens
If it's a mid to lower tier fighter they'll cut him and pretend to take the moral high ground without a hint of embarrassment or self-awareness.

Certain corners of the mma media will cry from the heavens about Dana White and hypocrisy and Ariel Helwani will do a heated segment on his web show.

But no one else will care.

And that'll be the story of it.

Because as great as the UFC is and as much as we love it, t's still a freaking embarrassment in many ways.

...because the people running it and a large segment of the fanbase are ignorant cretins.

jayt1202 jayt1202 has always been a favorite poster of mine, not sure if he’s all the way in with us!
Appreciate that. I do try and stay away from the politics side of the UFC but the recent Dana stuff can't be ignored and I've never been his biggest fan but respected certain parts of the way he runs the UFC (fighter pay being an obvious exception).

Also, Luis Pena aka Violent Bob Ross (terrible nickname in hindsight) was released in 2021 due to domestic violence. This just goes to show if you're not high up in the org like a Conor, JJ, the brass will be quick to make an example out of the lower level guys.

Yeah, Rumble and Jon Jones definitely had issues.

Dana said yesterday that if a fighter has a DV circumstance, it’s a case-by-case basis. But we won’t know if that’s true until someone has the issue.

I think they could have definitely avoided some of the criticism if they followed the Kyrie Irving damage control playbook by the NBA. Which is weird…the owner of the UFC can comment on anti semitism but not DV.

I don’t think anyone wants Dana to get fired (besides Ariel). My man is straight nonchalant. And why can’t the company survive without him for periods of time? If he had (god forbid), cancer, stroke, horrible accident, etc, does the show stop? It’s a one billion a year operation.

If you want a 13 minute tutorial on why 95% of mma “media” are bumbling, jelly-spined idiots, then look no further than this press conference.

…not one of them would even have a job as a reporter covering any other major sport.

The cringe factor has been on a higher level this week with Strickland.

No reason to insult John Morgan, a respected MMA journalist (okay…I don’t necessarily respect him but someone somewhere does).

Dave, I respect your profession as a teacher.

I’m sure Ariel, Luke Thomas, and Aaron Bronsteter are all credentialed journalists but at this point they’re more sports personalities a la Stephen A Smith (who also has a journalism background). MMA and combat sports are not kind to stories that cast it in a bad eye. It could be promoters, fighters, managers, etc. It’s easy to get black balled. Bloody Elbow is legit the only MMA news outlet that covers controversial topics like domestic violence, fighter pay, conflicts of interests, etc. I appreciate Ariel and Lukes candor and willingness to speak truthful. But it still has to be measured to an extent.

Last edited:
There’s no need to body shame. It’s not respectful.

It’s sad Morgan can’t stroll up to that psychopath. It’s literally a catch 22 situation. I hope MMA journalism pays good.

I respect anyone who pursues their passions, dreams, etc.

But that fool literally body shaming, low key racist (Helen Yee), insult a whole nation (France), etc in the last year.

This goes back to the Dana thing and combat sports. No “true” code of conduct.

Sorry I’m not referring to anything about Strickland man. My point was I always have respect for these journalists who don’t make much

He’s out of pocket always as we know

There’s no need to body shame. It’s not respectful.

It’s sad Morgan can’t stroll up to that psychopath. It’s literally a catch 22 situation. I hope MMA journalism pays good.
I didn’t even watch the video until now, I just looked at the photo.

i don’t support mocking someone for their appearance or making homophonic remarks in the process. But it’s Sean Strickland so whatever. I’m done wasting my breathe on losers like that who are allowed to exist in the UFC, when they would’ve been gone five minutes after their arrival in any other sport.

That being said, John Morgan is objectively terrible at his job and has been for a long time.

All any of those spineless nincompoops had to do was say, “Hey Dana, are you saying the UFC’s response to the next domestic violence case involving one of its fighters will be to say, ‘we have no plans to cut or even suspend fighter X, because living with it is the only punishment that matters.’?”

It was a simple layup question and not one of them had the guts or the thoughtfulness to ask it.

the way this whole Dana situation with his wife is being handled is beyond ridiculous. The fact that endeavor won’t do a thing about it, or Dana truly believes he’s some god for the company and the product couldn’t run without him is the biggest joke I’ve seen in a long time.

Appreciate Dana getting the sport to where it is, but he is still really not a good person at the end of the day.

It’s been trash all around BUT are we surprised?
Serious question
As Nate would say "I'm not surprised m'fer". Even before the start of this year we've known Dana and the UFC brass to outright lie, sometimes walk back lies and other times just ignore certain issues. It's only times when they are backed into a corner like the Krause situation they really take action on major issues. I wouldn't be surprised if all of this blows over in a couple weeks and Dana is back to running things as normal as if the video never happened.

Meksen complained for months about not being offered fights in One. Gets a title fight and no shows for the weigh ins and hydration check.

Back
Top Bottom