The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

Nobody is beating volk at 145

Nobody is beating Izzy at 185

Only two divisions you can say that about the champs
Here and now. I kind of agree.

At 145…it probably needs a little marination. See how Bryce, Arnold and any other emerging stars do…

So Volk clear front runner.

At 185…I like the Pereira fight. Doubt Izzy clinches with Alex for fear of an exchange that leads to a KO. It’s not really part of his portfolio. He won’t do slick grappling to submit. He doesn’t wrestle to lead to takedown or GnP. So it boils down to slicker striker. Alex has won two of those in kick boxing. Not saying the cage and mix martial arts can’t create an equalizer but if it does Izzy will have his worst performance after the Romero one.

185 is terrible though. Anyone else. I agree.

Here and now. I kind of agree.

At 145…it probably needs a little marination. See how Bryce, Arnold and any other emerging stars do…

So Volk clear front runner.

At 185…I like the Pereira fight. Doubt Izzy clinches with Alex for fear of an exchange that leads to a KO. It’s not really part of his portfolio. He won’t do slick grappling to submit. He doesn’t wrestle to lead to takedown or GnP. So it boils down to slicker striker. Alex has won two of those in kick boxing. Not saying the cage and mix martial arts can’t create an equalizer but if it does Izzy will have his worst performance after the Romero one.

185 is terrible though. Anyone else. I agree.
Actually, I agree with you there, I think Periera could def beat Izzy

But! I will say, do not doubt for 1 second that Izzy won't wrestle or grapple. Their team has no pride in changing or adjusting strategy and definitely don't care if it's a boring fight. They will be smart not prideful. Izzy might not be a black belt or an All American wrestler, but he doesn't need to be to be effective against Pereira. Glover will be sure to train him up on that but still, Izzy can use it to his advantage

Same with Nicksick's team, look at Izzy's brother Francis for instance in the Stipe fight

I can see what you’re saying. But I feel like Gane is more like Izzy than Francis. Maybe not a great analog since Pereira isn’t a berserker/rusher like Francis with world ending power.

And does CKB/Freestyle have great wrestling coaches? Defensive maybe. I have more confidence in Extreme Couture. But you’re right. Maybe this is a Francis situation. Where Francis defended and stole position from Stipe. And then used wrestling when his option A was no longer valid.

Whoa, didn’t think about this possible matchup. We really haven’t seen enough of Alex’s take down defense to know how he will do but I think Zat wins fairly easily…..unless he throws out his game plan like he did against Gilbert.

Nobody is beating volk at 145

Nobody is beating Izzy at 185

Only two divisions you can say that about the champs

Say what you want but when Izzy faces someone that can really wrestle like a Russian I think that would be his potentially biggest threat. Whittaker and cannonier were both able to get there hands around him, just couldn’t finish and put him on the ground.

Say what you want but when Izzy faces someone that can really wrestle like a Russian I think that would be his potentially biggest threat. Whittaker and cannonier were both able to get there hands around him, just couldn’t finish and put him on the ground.
You’re right but let’s be honest there is no 185 prospect like that. Izzy doesn’t have to worry about that for his reign imo

Izzy ain't wrestling Pereira. Go back and watch both Glory fights against him. He won the first fight imo but then got robbed by the judges. 2nd fight he was dominating tried to push for the ko to not go to a decision again then got caught slipping.

Izzys my guy but man he has to face the criticism when he puts on lack luster performances after hyping up what he's going to do fight week. I get it takes 2 to tango but man it just seems like he's going through the motion in there when he knows he's ahead already. Maybe Pereira brings the dog out of him but I wouldn't be surprised if he does enough to stay out of danger and get a decision again.

Volk 8). What a masterful performance. It was sad but amazing at the same time seeing Max take that beating. Hope folks don't take for granted what we're seeing from Volk right now. Guys a generational talent and should be appreciated while we still see him in his prime getting better each fight.

All I'm saying is don't be surprised to see Izzy utilize a ground or grappling attack

Don't matter if Izzy beat him 2-0 in kickboxing, this aint kickboxing. That shouldn't have too much bearing on how Izzy will operate in an MMA match against him. Especially considering what we've seen out of Pereria in MMA- the good and the bad

It wouldn't be smart to not play MMA in an MMA match with Pereria but Kanye shrug

Izzy’s distance control that fight was incredible to watch. But I’d be lying if I said that the fight was really exciting.

Izzy should lean into the "I can just outpoint you and you can't do anything about it" angle that would be funny and if anything else, true

If he keeps predicting flashy knockouts and continues to put on boring fights that will probably put a damper on his persona and at worst lose him fans/credibility etc.

Volk on his way to GOAT status at 145, hate to see Max get beatdown like that. I don't think Max is the type that is content to be a gatekeeper and not contend for the belt. I think the game has passed him up on being a contender, his lack of power is catching up to him.

I'm putting up a big bet on Pereira against Izzy when that fight comes, especially if the odds are anywhere close to yesterday at +400 like it was for Cannon. And I'm fading O'Malley on his next fight, dude is a fraud.

Volk on his way to GOAT status at 145, hate to see Max get beatdown like that. I don't think Max is the type that is content to be a gatekeeper and not contend for the belt. I think the game has passed him up on being a contender, his lack of power is catching up to him.

I'm putting up a big bet on Pereira against Izzy when that fight comes, especially if the odds are anywhere close to yesterday at +400 like it was for Cannon. And I'm fading O'Malley on his next fight, dude is a fraud.
Volk is the 145 goat. All respect to Aldo but the question has been answered imo but I get how people want to see title defenses

Volk is the 145 goat. All respect to Aldo but the question has been answered imo but I get how people want to see title defenses
Guess the question is…what’s the GOAT criteria?

Title defenses? Length of the reign? Strength of schedule?

I still got Aldo as the FW GOAT. Volk’s resume is legit. But he’s only got three different title opponents in four defenses. But if he moved up and beat Islam. I’d place him at P4P #1 all time lol.

I got Volk as the #1 Freestyle/CKB guy. They definitely lucked up to having two great talents at the same time. After what happened to Trevor Whitman…they’re definitely the top gym right now. Even though all the rest of their guys are T relevant besides Kai.

Guess the question is…what’s the GOAT criteria?

Title defenses? Length of the reign? Strength of schedule?

I still got Aldo as the FW GOAT. Volk’s resume is legit. But he’s only got three different title opponents in four defenses. But if he moved up and beat Islam. I’d place him at P4P #1 all time lol.

I got Volk as the #1 Freestyle/CKB guy. They definitely lucked up to having two great talents at the same time. After what happened to Trevor Whitman…they’re definitely the top gym right now. Even though all the rest of their guys are T relevant besides Kai.
Yup, same question as the debate in Khabib vs GSP p4p

Just your own formula at the end of the day

The other positive that Pereria has in the Izzy fight other than the KO, is the fact that Pereria doesn't speak English

We've seen when Izzy has gotten into his opponent's head: Whittaker, Brunson, last night in Cannonier (imo)

It'll be Pereria's first headline fight but he's already fought in MSG as well as T Mobile

imo Cannonier was the inferior fighter, said that all the way leading up to the fight. It was not an intriguing matchup since it was announced. But in addition to him being inferior he was also totally unprepared for the moment and for Izzy's mind games. Don't think he handled the pressure well at all

Pereria on the other hand seems totally unbothered and unemotional. The lack of English will actually help him in the lead up to the Izzy fight. He's been in front of big crowds and media before too. Think that's a big part of fighting someone like Izzy

Back
Top Bottom