The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

There was no knockdown for Reyes. It was a slip on a punch that landed on Jones’ chest. Rewatch and rely on the replays a lot, that “outstriking” rarely landed anything meaningful. Most of the replays showed things hitting gloves or missing altogether.

Commentary can be really damaging to perspective of the viewers.

Agree with Reyes and Joe. Takedowns shouldn’t count for much if you didn’t follow it up with anything. Reyes was right back on his feet.
So a grown man taking another grown man to the ground doesn’t count? I hate when Rogan says that...it’s stupid and contradictory. Do you think Reyes wanted to hit the mat?

There was no knockdown for Reyes. It was a slip on a punch that landed on Jones’ chest. Rewatch and rely on the replays a lot, that “outstriking” rarely landed anything meaningful. Most of the replays showed things hitting gloves or missing altogether.

Commentary can be really damaging to perspective of the viewers.
I had no commentary.. I was watching a jank livestream from some Russian dude on IG. :lol:

good to know tho

So a grown man taking another grown man to the ground doesn’t count? I hate when Rogan says that...it’s stupid and contradictory. Do you think Reyes wanted to hit the mat?
Getting up quickly and not absorbing damage should counter act that though. Meaning takedowns are good but you have to do something with it and not let the guy up right away

Reyes moving backwards since the 3rd.. landing nothing of significance. How you split it to him?
Simply off the gist that jones was rather ineffective with his take downs, in any wrestling competition your getting points back for slipping out those take downs. reyes got the 3rd round regardless of how much space Jones ate up on the mat. Jon didn’t do anything the first 3 rounds. And the 4th and 5th def didn’t win him the fight. He did almost get back into contention tho. That’s how it’s a split

When you see takedowns to wrestling as hard punches are to boxing, you understand why they count as points.

Now someone try to argue that hard punches shouldn’t count unless it ends with a knockdown or dazing the other person.

Never said they shouldn’t count. I’m just saying it shouldn’t have a huge influence on the scorecards IF the fighter gets up right away. Don’t think Reyes was down for more than 15 seconds....

Simply off the gist that jones was rather ineffective with his take downs, in any wrestling competition your getting points back for slipping out those take downs. reyes got the 3rd round regardless of how much space Jones ate up on the mat. Jon didn’t do anything the first 3 rounds. And the 4th and 5th def didn’t win him the fight. He did almost get back into contention tho. That’s how it’s a split
Define “rather ineffective”

As far as I know he got him on the mat?

Point takedowns have been a part of MMA for as long as I’ve watched. He doesn’t need to mount his opponent for it to be considered a takedown.

his last three fights agains inferior fighters been lackluster. i assume it's the a combination of lack of roids, age, fighting down to the competition, etc
Hopefully he look at this as a wake up call and make adjustments, because the last few fights have been exciting because of his opponent

It's not just Rogan though. A lot of people think a take down with nothing done shouldn't count in the sense it should be scoree higher than a punch.

Define “rather ineffective”

As far as I know he got him on the mat?

Point takedowns have been a part of MMA for as long as I’ve watched. He doesn’t need to mount his opponent for it to be considered a takedown.
and escaping back to your feet has gotten you points since the beginning of time with wrestling. Jon couldn’t hold him to the mat. Thus he was ineffective

So then does a clean solid strike mean anything if the fighter recovers immediately and is unbothered?
Yes, it means something. You take that into account just like you would with a take down where nothing comes of it. Both are scored but perhaps shouldn't have huge influence overall

And whoever the ref is that scored it 49-4t should just not score matches anymore. Dude was a waste of air

and escaping back to your feet has gotten you points since the beginning of time with wrestling. Jon couldn’t hold him to the mat. Thus he was ineffective
This isn’t wrestling. This is MMA.

If they gave you points for getting back up then what would be the point of giving points for the takedown ?

Yes, it means something. You take that into account just like you would with a take down where nothing comes of it. Both are scored but perhaps shouldn't have huge influence overall
They’re a decent influence. And they should be.

If Jon only had those takedowns but was moving backwards the whole fight.. this would be a different convo. He made sure to start moving forward and combine the takedowns because the judges score somewhat heavy on those two aspects. This isn’t anything new as far as I’m aware.

Hopefully he look at this as a wake up call and make adjustments, because the last few fights have been exciting because of his opponent
Maybe it’s the fact that there have been 26 previous Jon Jones fights to game plan against. Keeping the belt is almost impossible bc there is always a live dog bringing their “A” game. He will have to lose one day. These guys are getting better and better. The way Reyes fought Jones was perfect....his gas tank just ran out too soon and he was unable to finish the fight.

Don’t think he was being passive at all. He was pressuring but clearly Jones can’t let his hands fly against a guy that can take his head off any second. I fully expected Jones to lose the first round. I thought he would come on stronger much sooner though...I think the fact that Reyes was still live stalled him a little. Both fighters had great game plans imo.
Yeah he needs to come out strong sooner. Going forward, his plan of letting it go the distance may come back to hurt him if he meets an opponent with similar conditioning as him

jones was out struck the first 3 rounds and those take downs came in rounds 4 and 5

im not mad at the decision though, reyes disengaged part way through the 4th and practically the whole 5th thinking he had it in the bag

gotta keep going

Back
Top Bottom