The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- O’Malley v Vera on NOW

Ali was nowhere to be found this weekend I wonder if he’s under some sort of restriction? He let the other manager handle the duties for khabib

I am curious as to how shady things really go for these mma athletes and managers

Bellators featherweight tourney is pretty cool

“Coker said that all eight winners, and their coaches will be brought out. There will be four dates set up, a mid-December date in Honolulu, a January date in Los Angeles, as well as a February and March date. All four events will be in the U.S. and will be DAZN exclusives.

Each fighter will then pick balls and open them, and inside will be numbers--one through eight. And that’s where the strategy comes in.

The fighter who drew No. 1 will get to pick which show they want to fight on. It could be based on what city they want to fight in, or based on what day they want to fight on. If they’re healthy, it’s best to pick an earlier date, because you get more rest until the semifinals. If you’re banged up, it’s best to pick the last date, so you have the most rest before the fight.

Next will come the fighter who drew No. 2. It’s the same situation, except, if he wants to fight fighter No. 1 in the quarterfinals, he knows which show to pick and gets to pick his fight. If he wants to avoid him, he knows what show not to pick.

Next comes fighter No. 3 with the same situation. With each fighter, a spot is filled. The early picks will be heavily based on date, but as each fighter is set up with the date, the next person can better choose their opponent. By the latter part, fighters will be picking more based on who they want to face, or don’t want to face. The higher the number, the fighters will be better be able to pick their next round opponents, but have less flexibility in choosing dates.

By the time fighter No. 7 gets to pick, he’ll likely have only two options, both two open dates and likely two open opponents. The fighter who draws No. 8 has no strategy. He’s facing whoever hasn’t gotten an opponent on whatever date is left.”

Conor survived longer than Dustin did, that's it. Dustin touched Khabib on the chin once or twice and had 2 sub attempts. He did better than Conor
Khabib made it a point to stand with Johnson, (possibly Barboza), Iaquinta and Conor- against his coach's game plan. He did that once in the second round and after Dustin's flurry he stopped messing around. I think that was an important factor in this fight. It showed Khabib's seriousness

Came in to echo these exact points on the 'why' to Conor lasting longer in his fight with Khabib. In all seriousness Khabib's victory over Conor seemed easy and like a 'walk'. He allowed Conor to stand for several moments of the fight. He lets people stand when he doesn't really respect them IMO.

While the victory of Porrier was a complete domination, it was different. It was more smothering IMO. He didnt really play with him at all. Exhausting to watch

Impressively, Dustin tried for 3 very explosive reversals and escapes from the bottom. They were the level of sudden explosivity that would normally allow someone to wiggle free. Khabib was all over it. Not only was he stuffing these well executed attempts but he's also advancing postion during the ensuing scramble. I always leave in complete awe of his grappling prowess.

Dustin was DOG TIRED after that 2nd round. It's clear he never felt anything like that before. He showed plenty heart and grit tho. I personally think Dustin would have secured that Guillotine via Standing Mounted Guillotine. Unlucky for him as soon as he liftted his leg leg off the floor to begin transition, Khabib went to the ground killling his leverage.

What Khabib has in him is really different

He allowed Conor to stand for several moments of the fight.

I know some of you guys don't like Conor and that's fine but this is not true, at all.

R3 all Khabib's takedown attempts were stuffed except for the end of the round when he tripped Conor up against the fence and he popped up immediately.

He didn't allow anything, he tried taking him down and couldn't, :lol:

And if we're really still gonna do this whole who did better between Conor/Dustin thing, at least Conor won a damn round.

As far as that guillotine goes, he needed to transition it to an anaconda choke and the fight would've been over.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if we're really still gonna do this whole who did better between Conor/Dustin debate, at least Conor won a round.

Did a quick search and looks like Conor was won the 3rd before losing. 3/7 or TDs vs 7/8 in Dustin's case, so I might be 'rosey' on how Im rembering it all.

But it reminded more of how he was dealing with Iaquinta. The control looked different from a tenacity standpoint IMO. Looked that way possibly because it was easier

Since Dana wants to go full WWF, he minus whale just make the BMF belt like the Hardcore Championship.

So apparently Dana is ready to offer Ferguson the Khabib fight, let's hope he gives him a fair offer and doesn't claim Tony wouldn't take the lowball offer. That and the Holloway-Volkanowski scrap would be a great way to cap off the year at 245.

They tried to make that tony fight already few times but mma gods refused. I wont get my hopes up until after 1st round :lol:

March
Jorge is about that life. One of the Diazs should have fought him

July
I’m interested in Jorge vs Colby at some point. The past few months both have spoke openly about fighting each other

Jorge has positioned himself to skip Colby for the title shot even if Colby beats lawler. So that might not sit well with Colby and cause some friction

Playing out nicely

Not buying this Jorge/Colby **** at all

Also in regards to Tony/Khabib, Dana already said he'll make an offer to Tony, but that if Tony doesn't take the fight Conor would "make a lot of sense". So basically if Tony plays hardball at all in the negotiations it's over for his shot. Hopefully he just rolls with it and bets on himself because that fight can't wait anymore

Back
Top Bottom