The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

I believe this will be the first non-title headliner PPV since Conor-Nate 2. Also crazy this will be Nate's 3rd PPV headliner that's not a title fight. Can't wait for UFC 244, some other fun fights on that card too.

I think it's less a **** you to Marty, since he's a Champion. Like a real one. Dont all champs get PPV points?

I'm actually kinda surprised the UFC is playing so tough on negotiations with Culvy though. You'd think his schtick is right up Dana's alley. Either dude is as much of a **** behind the scenes as he is on camera, or maybe those ticket sales and that green really is the bottom line.

And if there really is any "beef" between Colby and Jorge (which I still doubt, but whatever), I can't imagine Colby is happy his boy is headlining and getting ppv points w/o a belt on the line, and meanwhile he's sitting on the sidelines crying about not getting his money. Especially considering his unbeaten streak and complete domination of Lawler.

Video popped up on my feed randomly. Shows a few clips of the Masvidal/Covington confrontation from people recording at the fight.

Thought it was a work the whole time but starting to think it's real. If it's all an act tho they got this **** planned out incredibly :lol:

“That’s a very real possibility,” Colby Covington said of a potential departure from American Top Team. “It’s a very real possibility. I don’t know. I think Dan Lambert is a little bit nervous about it. We’ve been having talks the last couple of days and he’s very nervous about it. He doesn’t know what’s going to happen.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Covington added. “I’m always there at the gym. They know where to find me if they want to cause a scene and make friction in the gym. I know Dan doesn’t like that. He doesn’t want that rap.

“That’s the worst part about this, is the rap our gym’s getting; that there’s so much friction in the gym. But everybody knows the results speak for themselves. American Top Team is the greatest gym in the world. We have the best fighters, we have the best coaches and we have the best facilities. So I just hope that Dan doesn’t let the opinion of outsiders influence what we’re really doing. And at the end of the day, people are going to love you and people are going to hate you, man. Just take it all. There’s no such thing as bad publicity. The only bad publicity is no publicity.”

“He hasn’t told me to tone it down, but Dan Lambert is the one and only person in this whole entire world that if he told me something, I would listen,” Covington said. “I don’t have a boss. I’m my own boss. But if he gave me advice and gave me a piece of wisdom, I would listen to him because he’s done a lot for me. I wouldn’t be here today as world champion of the UFC and undefeated and undisputed without Dan Lambert. He’s literally gave me the shirt off his back and I’m very thankful to him and grateful to him. And I hope we can make this right, I hope he can understand… He understands psychology, and pro-wrestling, and promotion, and angles and this and that.

“So I hope he understands what we’re doing and what we’re trying to accomplish. But it’s his gym and at the end of the day, he’s going to make the decisions. And whatever decision he makes, I’m going to be okay with that because I trust his decision making and what he wants to do with his gym. Either way, I’m going to keep winning fights. I’m going to keep getting the biggest paychecks in sport. And nobody’s going to stop me. It doesn’t matter where I’m at, I’m the best fighter in the world. And no one’s going to prove different.”

I’m going to assume it’s real.

I’m also pretty sure the coach Colby screwed over is Jorge’s striking coach Paulino Hernandez. He’s unaffiliated with ATT and I’m sure Jorge has hooked Colby up with him over the years. I could see Colby not wanting to pay him while trying to argue he already had to pay the gym his percentage.

I’m loving this. Colby is a lame and it’s all coming back on him ten fold.

I may be naive but I don’t see a lot of “work” in Jorge... Sounds like Colby is getting ready to bomb on Dan Lambert when the split happens.

SMESHTIME said:
Khabib: There were also one thing. Before the fight, my friend told me to be cautious, because Dustin likes guillotine chokes. I knew, that Dustin does it with his right hand, even though he is a southpaw. And then he locks both legs around his opponent, and starts to squeeze. So, I decided that I'll give him my neck on purpouse, but I did just put my leg over his leg, so he can`t lock it up. And now he starts doing guillotine on me, I put my leg over his leg, but I still can feel that he can squeeze. I realized I have to get put as soon as I can. I changed my position twice, and I finally got away. ⠀

Source: .

I was correct in noting that Khabib basically denied him the leg he needed to really lock it in. But, that's crazy he gave that to him purposely. Dustin got that in pretty deep.

He also notes in this conversation the plan and need to go out and try to tire out Dustin early, and not deal with his power and technique on the feet.

I don't understand the strategy in giving the guy your neck. You could get him to the ground without doing that, and you can tire him out without doing that. Why put your neck at risk if you don't have to.

Seems kinda dumb and/or some bs backwards rationalizing after he got caught in the choke.

I don't understand the strategy in giving the guy your neck. You could get him to the ground without doing that, and you can tire him out without doing that. Why put your neck at risk if you don't have to.

Seems kinda dumb and/or some bs backwards rationalizing after he got caught in the choke.

I personally think a rope-a-dope strategy is always stupid.

My guess is he’s pretty well versed in escaping guillotines and looked at it as a way to burn out Dustin arms. With burnt arms, the heavy hands are too slow to be effective. My assumption is it was strategic in that sense, but he was able to get the submission immediately as well because Dustin didn’t have the remaining strength to defend.

I personally think a rope-a-dope strategy is always stupid.

My guess is he’s pretty well versed in escaping guillotines and looked at it as a way to burn out Dustin arms. With burnt arms, the heavy hands are too slow to be effective. My assumption is it was strategic in that sense, but he was able to get the submission immediately as well because Dustin didn’t have the remaining strength to defend.

Yeah that's playing with fire, that guillotine was looking real tight for a minute. Dustin looked like he could barely put his punches together after catching him with that overhand in the second, just seems highly unnecessary considering the way that fight was going. But hey, he made it work I guess.

Yeah that's playing with fire, that guillotine was looking real tight for a minute. Dustin looked like he could barely put his punches together after catching him with that overhand in the second, just seems highly unnecessary considering the way that fight was going. But hey, he made it work I guess.
It was a good risk IMO, Khabib knew Dustin was gassing and basically threw a hail mary with that guillotine attempt.

The only real close fight Khabib's had was the Tibeau fight but Gleison didn't really mount much offense.

I personally read that with a grain of salt, I personally think he was going for a shot, pushed him to the fence and realized what Dustin was going to attempt. He was just prepared for the situation, but the strategy behind it makes sense if intentional.

Dustin was pretty much already done fatigue wise as jayt1202 jayt1202 said above. Banking on the hail mary from him and then denying a crucial step in completing it basically guarantees he'll use a good portion of the rest of his tank, or at least tire his arms do the detriment of his ground defense.

Again, if it was intentional I dont think he assumed that Dustin could still get that much pressure without locking with his legs. Khabib was definitely in a bad position.

It wouldn't be the first time he let his confidence put himself in danger, e.g. - keeping the fight standing with dangerous strikers.

It worked out, but definitely kinda stupid.

Back
Top Bottom