The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Doesn't it hurt the ufc if people have to get that dumb espn+ app first so they can order a ppv? I'm thinking many don't want it even if it is only $5 or whatever annual deal they're running.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I feel like I'm more out of the loop and a little less interested because of that stupid app. Missed out on cards I would have watched on ESPN or Fox. Already have Netflix, Hulu and Prime. That's enough.

This upcoming Bellator tourney should really showcase some of their top talent. Great idea for that selection process.

Pulling for Leon to take the next step up in his career and make a name for himself

I believe he’s as legit as anyone in the division not named Usman. Hope he can prove that tomorrow

If things play out, they could do usman vs Colby and Jorge vs Leon as the co main and backup plan on the same card

I actually laughed when I read "Woodley deserves a rematch".

He's been telling everyone he's the greatest WW of all time for a while now, then proceeds to lose all 25 minutes of a fight.

If he had gotten caught and finished early, I could maybe see a case but he was literally dominated for every second of the fight.

He deserves absolutely nothing.

Yea TWood was getting a real big head there for a while, I mean his KO of Robbie was impressive as was his sub of Till. But let's not forget his snoozefests against Wonderboy and Maia. Guy thought he was a gift and deserved all the money fights against the likes of Conor, Nate/Nick, GSP, etc. With his rocky relationship with Dana he might have to win 2-3 more given his track record to get another shot.

We are less than a month out from 242, can't wait to see Nate back in the Octagon!

If Nate wins I cant wait to see who they have him fight next

Due to his relationship with Dana, its going to take a long time for TWood to get that next title shot

Just looking up Usman's record. He has only one finish in the UFC not counting TUF. For some reason I thought he was destroying people.

Just looking up Usman's record. He has only one finish in the UFC not counting TUF. For some reason I thought he was destroying people.

Not really destroying people by KOs per say but he has pretty much outclassed every opponent from the fights I remember. We'll see how much his striking really improved tho I remember him saying something after the Woodley fight about being hurt for a while and not really being able to do what he really wants as far as striking goes.

Two fights I'm looking forward to most are Alexander 'the Great' vs. Trinaldo and Jin Soo Son against Mario Bautista. Hernandez hasn't fought since the "Cowboy" drubbing. This ain't no freebie, bounce-back fight for Alexander. Trinaldo finished Felder years back in Brasilia. JSS has a L from Yan. He trains at KZ's Seoul gym, in the upscale Gangnam district. I've got Bautista getting finished here.

I'm the biggest (only) T-Wood homer in here, but ain't no way in hell he deserves a title shot/immediate rematch with Usman. That was like a 50-44 first go, dominant Naija performance. With his track record of bad history with Dana, Woodley gonna need two impressive finishes minimum to see another crack at the WW belt.

My issue is there isn’t a real qualifier for why anyone deserves a title shot.

Edwards seems like the most legit with eight wins and beating someone in the top five.

WB and Maia have decision wins on Masvidal. Till was rocketed to a title fight. And Askren never beat anyone in the UFC (including Lawler).

Colby probably has a legit claim as an interim title holder, beating Maia, Dos Anjou, etc.

And Tyron my have gotten dominated five rounds. But he just looked off. And his coaches were frustrated.

I don’t think Edwards hasn’t beaten anyone in the Top TEN.

If he wins tonight it would be his first.

All those other guys been fighting at the top of the division for years.

There’s obviously no rules to what Dana will do. Me personally, I’ll take the guys consistently at the top of the food chain, even withoccasional loses, over the guy on a “streak” every time. Until that streak has you consistently fighting at the top of the food chain.

I also never thought Ben should have been in a #1 contender fight but I believe if Ben had won he would be fighting for the title and believe Jorge beating him should warrant the same.

I think piecing up Edwards might’ve been a mistake for Masvidal only because it kind of elevated his stock (Edwards. Or at least his visibility) and I think Dana wants that Masvidal/Edwards fight for the build up.

Colby, as much as I’m not a fan, easily has the claim and would solidify that even more so with a win over Lawler.

Last edited:
Till? Covington? Masvidal?

Till literally got a rocket on his back. He really didn’t deserve to fight Tyron.

And Colby and Masvidal haven’t been hanging out in the top ten for years. I feel like one more win would be good for Masvidal. Colby should get the title fight because of the interim thing and heat with Usman.

Anyone thinking Askren had a claim to a title shot following his Lawler fight is foolish.

And again the question is what is the criteria for a title fight? Stipe got knocked out. He, in no way, deserves a title shot with DC. JJ didn’t deserve a rematch with Rose nor title shot with Valentina.

Go look at where Maia, Wonderboy, Cerrone, Till, Askren were ranked when Masvidal fought them. Those are his last 5 fights. Not the top of the division? Right or wrong it is what is is. Especially with 2 straight KOs.

Same with Covington when he beat Maia and RDA.

Which IF Leon wins tonight will be his first elite victory.

Leon hasn’t fought anyone at the top of the division until tonight. A split over Gunnar ain’t doing it for me :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom