The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Damn son! Was really looking forward to that bout and card overall. Here's hoping Edwards is only sidelined temporarily and they can reschedule this one in Jan or Feb 2021.

I’d be down for Magny to take his place. Obviously less of a come up than Edwards but definitely a high ranked opponent for Chimaev.

He's definitely more deserving of a fight vs Magny than against Edwards at the very least. Wouldn't be mad at that replacement

Was really hoping we would get this Blaydes and Lewis fight on one of these other December cards

Screenshot_20201203-133803_Twitter.jpg

Who is managing this dood?

man he had a legit buzz when he first started but he has not managed his career well since, I feel like I hear about Yair OUTSIDE the octagon more than what he do inside.

dude talented as hell too smhhh

Zombie called out Zabit too in a recent interview. Said that's the fight he wants in I think Feb/March. Would be a tough fight for Zabit and a bad matchup if it were a 5 rounder.

TJ funny as hell saying he deserves a title shot when he comes back. Hope Cory gets that fight and beat the brakes off him.

MMA in the Olympics is beyond pointless. It sounds harsh but it's the truth. It's detrimental on a couple of fronts:

1. Fighters already don't get paid enough, going out there to fight for free doesn't make any sense
2. Every major MMA organization is already a form of the Olympics lol. You have the best fighters from all over the world fighting each other
3. The Olympics will interfere with the regular timeline of fight schedules for all of the promotions. It is really a barrier and hindrance more than anything

What exactly is the Olympics going to prove? Seriously it's stupid as hell and a "Gold Medal" won't and shouldn't be held in the same light as a Promotional Belt, generally speaking

“The inclusion of MMA in the Olympics is one of my main tasks for the next couple of years,” Nurmagomedov said in Russian (translated by Essentially Sports). “We are already working in this direction. In the near future, I will have many meetings, including with the president of the Olympic committee. I think, if not in Paris, then in in Los Angeles we have a great chance of promoting MMA.”

1 & 3 won't be an issue if olympic mma follows the same rules as olympic boxing, only amateurs, no pro fighters.

I think it could be interesting. At the very least it creates more jobs for MMA trainers, and a new way to create new stars and attention for the sport. As long as amateurs are competing I can't see the downside.

Hearing rumor DC is gunna be running Khabibs Eaglr MMA thing. Like playing the Dana role.

DC comin for everybodys jobs haha I for one love it. Just an all around great dude whose great for young fighters particularly and MMA as a whole.

How long til Khabib gets that itch? He says there’s no one left for him to fight. But we all know there is always someone new who comes up, and once the comparisons start, and the **** talking and taunting begins, he will be back in...

1 & 3 won't be an issue if olympic mma follows the same rules as olympic boxing, only amateurs, no pro fighters.

I think it could be interesting. At the very least it creates more jobs for MMA trainers, and a new way to create new stars and attention for the sport. As long as amateurs are competing I can't see the downside.
If they only use amateurs by all means

We’ll see MMA as an olympic event in our lifetime, it’s still a relatively new “sport” and still needs to incubate.

best believe though...GOLD MEDAL at your weight class > UFC Belt

Yeah there's definitely something to that.

The UFC is the best organization but it isn't run completely based on merit, it's about entertainment. Just look at all the guys who were skilled but boring who got cut or never made it to a title shot because they got put through the gauntlet, vs. the more marketable fighters that got fast tracked or kept on the roster after multiple losses.

None of that **** exists in an olympic tourney, it would be 1000% merit based and the truest measure of who the best (amateur) in the world is at that weight class.

I wouldn't say it's better than a UFC belt full stop just because the money and fame and influence that come with the UFC title could overshadow what comes with the gold medal, but it'd be a hell of an accomplishment. And more than likely anybody that could win olympic MMA gold would probably have a good shot of getting a title as well.

I like this olympic MMA idea, I really think it could be great for the sport.

Back
Top Bottom