The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

F4B5F6FE-7847-4DAE-A66D-9495970527FD.png

Ariel wanna be [suge] all in the videos…all on the records…[/suge]

Only solid mma dood is this guy
screen-shot-2014-03-16-at-12-00-52-am.jpg

And maybe brett okamoto

Lol @ John Morgan and Brett Okamato.

2 dudes who never ask any tough questions and shill for the UFC. That ain't journalism lol.
100%

If Brett was a great journalist...why would ESPN have hired Marc Ramondi and Ariel Helwani? Ariel, moreso, for his ability to be a talking head.

I listen to MMA Roadshow. John and Cold Coffee are definitely on the shill side. Brett, due to the ESPN/UFC relationship, has his hands tied.

You won't hear anything really about fighters pay/rights, Oligarch ties, and other "balanced" coverage besides smaller outlets, Ariel, and Bloody Elbow.

Dana's issue with Ariel is he can't control him. Ariel going to tweet news/announcements/semi-confirmed rumors. Ariel will discuss fighter's rights.

No one else discusses it. Wonder why (don't want their press credentials revoked and access to fighters removed).

This issue will blow over. But Paddy asking to get paid to do interviews (and it being out there) is a bad look. I DO think he should monetize a la every fighter and develop a platform for endorsements, talking to the fans, etc. And maybe save the interviews for the big "guys" pre-fight. But trying to discredit a 12X MMA Journalist of the year and Syracuse School of Journalism graduate isn't the right move. And Dana lol. We know you don't like him.

Paddy is lucky Ariel didn't take the low road and just fact checked him. Darren Till, Gina Carano, Ronda Rousey, Paddy Pimblett, and Ali definitely have given off shady or un-critizable vibes, which obviously has led to a fall out with someone who is impartial and tries to represent the journalistic tenants of truth.

10-7 Ariel.
He might rub some people the wrong way, but Ariel is the only journalist I can think of who will talk about everything. I haven't heard **** from Okamoto, John Morgan etc regarding James Krause.
We really don't need more journalists who asks the same bs questions over and over again

Even MMAFighting journalists have to walk a careful line.

Here are the nominees for MMA Journalist of the year:

Ariel Helwani

John Morgan

Shaheen Al-Shatti

Aaron Bronsteter

Mike Bohn

Aaron Bronsteter is actually a good journalist/analyst but sadly he works for a broadcast partner.

The MMA Junkie/USA Today folks have to shill. Shaheen Al-Shatti is good. Ariel has won 12 times in a row. But I wouldn’t be mad if Bronsteter or Al-Shatti won.

Also not a knock on company men. It's their livelihood and all of us have to do **** at our jobs we may not want to do, but it's the freedom Ariel has that makes him the most appealing MMA journalist (imo).

Lol @ John Morgan and Brett Okamato.

2 dudes who never ask any tough questions and shill for the UFC. That ain't journalism lol.
John Morgan sounds like a pubescent teenager every time he asks a rambling question.

Only in MMA, could that guy be a credentialed "reporter" who gets to asks questions at every press conference.

MMA is still a young sport. As some in here have alluded to, hopefully it grows up in the areas of promotion, presentation (at least letting the fighters show more of their personality), fighter’s rights, and journalism.

And lol at Patty getting $15 and $15 and schilling for Uncle Dana and decrying Ariel’s the fighters should get paid more (he did not say get paid for doing interviews lol).

MMA is still a young sport. As some in here have alluded to, hopefully it grows up in the areas of promotion, presentation (at least letting the fighters show more of their personality), fighter’s rights, and journalism.

And lol at Patty getting $15 and $15 and schilling for Uncle Dana and decrying Ariel’s the fighters should get paid more (he did not say get paid for doing interviews lol).

This is all I ask for, continued growth of the UFC and the sport, thanks 🤝🤝

Ariel always playing little slick games though. I can see why Paddy was upset with him and the bs he pulled with Dana is probably unforgivable. I do think it’s weird how they both went on and on about Ariel on the podcast.

BS?

Dana can’t control Ariel like he can the other “reporters.”

The way the UFC deals with the media is the same way they do their fighters: exploitive.

Do what I tell you or else.

Paddy is a fool. No one is paying for interviews. Ariel’s platform brings exposure. Ariel literally had the dude on after he lost in Cage Warriors. And has been a big ally.

Paddy reached out to him first last fall and then all of the hijinks ensued.

What I will say is…instead of all the texting, Ariel should have called the manager for clear clarification. And then not calling Paddy to discuss the issue but instead sending him screenshots and saying WTF probably didn’t help. And then he said what he said on Pat Macafee.

I can say…Ariel definitely got his “ways.” But the fact still remains, you should be be paying a fighter for an interview to promote their fight. That’s wild.

Mitchell vs topuria is easily my most anticipated fights

Mitchell keeps beating better competition I can’t take that away from him

I still don’t think he’s elite status but if he beats topuria I can’t say that anymore

Topuria should have the skills to negate Mitchell’s and the power is one sided

Easily the best fight, shouldve been the co main. I just hope Topuria doesnt miss weight and has his cardio on point. He's easily the more skilled fighter.

We definitely going to see if Bryce has a chin on him. If he ends up being durable, things could get interesting.

Didn’t realize it’s been 13 years since Gina lost to Cyborg.

That training was definitely keeping her in shape (and MAGA sexy).

Switching gears. I ain’t watching the card this weekend so I’ll check in the thread.

Does seem like it was meant to give us a rematch to the fight of the year. Give us a #1 LHW contender. And then promote Paddy, Bryce, Bo, etc.

Even if Bryce or Topuria win…it’ll be a lil bit before they challenge for the FW title thanks to Volk/Islam, Emmett/Yair, Allen being on the outside, Max no clue what’s going on (except he got a bad wife), etc.

Back
Top Bottom