The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

I love the UFC Unfiltered pod cast, but I can't understand why Jim or Matt don't read DJ's statement about the situation before discussing it. 

This annoyed me while listening to the podcast. Seems like Matt and Jim are just company shill. But when they had Max Holloway later in the show, Max was able to school Matt and Jim on why DJ was pissed, and Max understands where DJ is coming from and supports DJ. DJ is actually in Hawaii right now chilling with Max and Yancy Medeiros :lol:

Hate to derail from the "washed" discussion but I'm curious to know where some of you stand on Jon Jones.

I've looked into what Victor Conte said about his Test levels before the first DC fight, I saw the OSP fight, I've seen the photos of him in the bodybuilding gym, and I've known about 10-12 dudes in my lifetime who have personally done steroids for one reason or the other.

Do you guys think he's been using for a while? I wouldn't say forever, but I don't know. Most of the guys I know who've gone into the deep end on the juice say there's no way he'll be able to stay off, if he's been using this long. One buddy claims the mental aspect will break him before the physical will.

I'm probably looking forward to Jones/DC II more than any fight this year, but I was curious as to what others think. Because if he's been doing this all on the juice, I don't know, I guess I'd be kinda sad. Jones was special, rather is.

jon-jones-before-after.jpg

It's not really hard to put on muscle with consistency and lifting. That picture means nothing.

did anyone see Black Beast's weigh in this morning? Dude held the towel like DC while on the scale :lol:

Last edited:
Hate to derail from the "washed" discussion but I'm curious to know where some of you stand on Jon Jones.

I've looked into what Victor Conte said about his Test levels before the first DC fight, I saw the OSP fight, I've seen the photos of him in the bodybuilding gym, and I've known about 10-12 dudes in my lifetime who have personally done steroids for one reason or the other.

Do you guys think he's been using for a while? I wouldn't say forever, but I don't know. Most of the guys I know who've gone into the deep end on the juice say there's no way he'll be able to stay off, if he's been using this long. One buddy claims the mental aspect will break him before the physical will.

I'm probably looking forward to Jones/DC II more than any fight this year, but I was curious as to what others think. Because if he's been doing this all on the juice, I don't know, I guess I'd be kinda sad. Jones was special, rather is.

Son was hiding under the octagon in his gym when USADA rolled thru.

That tells me all I need to know about Coke Jones.

Was that story confirmed by anyone other than 'The People's Champ' Chael?
LOL I take hot takes from Shale with a grain of salt as he seems bitter about never getting UFC gold and seems to contradict his statements on the regular. I respect the guy for having a pretty solid career but his commentating can be cringe at times.

Hey all first post in this here MMA thread, because I have literally never watched a live MMA bout. I have maaaaybe seen 120 total seconds of MMA ever (all highlights). I'm a boxing guy, through-and-through.

BUT, since tomorrow (Sat.) night there isn't any big boxing card on TV, and FS1 has a whole honking night of prelims and main event bouts from Auckland, I'm thinking I'll give the sport a shot for the hell of it.

Keep in mind, I only just found out about the fights tomorrow because my TV was still on FS1 from the Nascar Truck race earlier, and after I watched Showtime boxing off my DVR the UFC weigh-ins were on.

So here are my questions, as a total MMA first-timer:

1) Is there anyone tomorrow I should make a point to pay attention to? I know in MMA you can have like 8 losses and still be a title contender, but since Dana White runs everything it seems like he sets the rankings based on who he thinks fans will pay to watch, so who are the dudes to keep an eye out for?

2) The main event guys are ginormous. They're straight-up loads. Are heavyweights like these dudes worth waiting for, or is it the wiry dudes who tend to have the "better" fights?

3a) I'll admit, I have always thought of UFC/MMA as human cockfighting. I view it as a broken bottle away from being "Pit Fighter," the old Sega game. I'll always be a boxing-first guy. But I'm willing to give this sport a shot tomorrow. Are there any peeps here who had the same mentality and became legit MMA fans after being a boxing fan, and if so, how did you get past the "Yo, he's down, stop elbowing the dude in the head! WTF?!?" mentality to be able to accept the sport's brutality?

3b) Just so I know, what leads to the ref stopping a fight when one dude is whaling on another guy who's obviously dead to the world? One of the things I like most about boxing is good officiating, especially a ref who knows when to stop a fight to keep a guy from getting killed or vegetized. It seems that every time I see highlights of MMA KOs a guy gets dropped and is prone on his back while a dude continues to pound the bejeezus outta his head for 5 seconds or more before the ref finally stops it. I get that half the sport is ground-based, but I just have a hard time understanding how a ref can't see that a guy (or gal, I suppose) is out like a lamp and getting needlessly mashed before finally stopping the fight.

Let me know your thoughts if ya want (or don't, no worries either way, I won't take it personally). I figure this sport's like 15-20 yrs old now, so I should give it a legit shot at some point. I also know it has a REALLY passionate fanbase, and I hope I haven't insulted anyone with my honesty about how I've viewed it til now, but I would love to see if I can have my mind changed in the next 24hrs and give it a shot in the future. TIA

Just don't expect boxing and you'll be good.

It's not a great card by any means and there's no upper echelon talents but their should be some fun fights. That's the beauty of MMA match making.

I imagine the main event will be chaos while it lasts. Both fighters do not **** around in there.

And in regards to the refs and stoppages... once a fighter has stopped actively defending themselves the fight is stopped.

Ref's will factor in severity of knock down blow, whether the fighter is trying to recover position, how well they are defending themselves on the ground and fighter durability.

So me and my boy copped UFC 214 tickets last night. Never been to a UFC event and I've heard they're lit. Hopefully Jones shows up this time and DC has no setbacks. Looking forward to it and hopefully they put the full card together soon lol

Just don't expect boxing and you'll be good.

It's not a great card by any means and there's no upper echelon talents but their should be some fun fights. That's the beauty of MMA match making.

I imagine the main event will be chaos while it lasts. Both fighters do not **** around in there.

And in regards to the refs and stoppages... once a fighter has stopped actively defending themselves the fight is stopped.

Ref's will factor in severity of knock down blow, whether the fighter is trying to recover position, how well they are defending themselves on the ground and fighter durability.

Thanks for all this, it's really helpful! I'm pretty much expecting mayhem all night :lol:

Back
Top Bottom