The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

I dunno b

Maia is a world bjj champion

Like comparing someone who just made the NBA to an All-Star

I do think Woodley can catch him with the hands, but if Maia gets his back, might be a wrap. Anderson Silva couldn't knock Maia out with his long *** reach, so who knows.

I dunno b

I do think Woodley can catch him with the hands, but if Maia gets his back, might be a wrap. Anderson Silva couldn't knock Maia out with his long *** reach, so who knows.
I definitely understand that theres levels to BJJ, even within the black belts. But we saw how Masvidal was able to hold off Maia when he had his back and Woodley is a MUCH higher level grappler. 

I know in BJJ they teach leverage and technique over strength, but strength and size DOES matter. 

Speaking of BJJ, I got my 4th stripe on my white belt last night. Next stop is blue 
pimp.gif

Technically woodley is more decorated than Jorge in grappling but I don't think he's leaps and bounds better than Jorge in that department. Woodley has sub wins over nobodies but if you watch Jorge's tape you can see how slick his mma grappling is, very seamless with his wrestling

If illphillp says woodleys grappling is that much better than Jorge's then I'd think about it

Tim Elliott talking ALL that **** as if he wasnt JUST in that house. Calling them losers and everything. He had two fights in the UFC since then, BOTH loses. 

Meanwhile his boy Krause who is the only one in the UFC got beat by an outsider. 

Eh. Went both ways IMO. Bunch of drunk bozos in a hot tub together. Recipe for disaster :lol:

Technically woodley is more decorated than Jorge in grappling but I don't think he's leaps and bounds better than Jorge in that department. Woodley has sub wins over nobodies but if you watch Jorge's tape you can see how slick his mma grappling is, very seamless with his wrestling

If illphillp says woodleys grappling is that much better than Jorge's then I'd think about it

My man made me a full on Masivdal fanboy :lol:

Jorge literally has no grappling credentials that I'm aware of. He just works all of it to the point where he's become very good at it all.

So it would be hard for me to say he's a better grappler than Woodley. There's also this "grappling FOR MMA" that people like to talk about which might favor Jorge.

But Woodley's never been subbed and he did have a few sub wins early on in his career.

Tim Elliott talking ALL that **** as if he wasnt JUST in that house. Calling them losers and everything. He had two fights in the UFC since then, BOTH loses. 

Meanwhile his boy Krause who is the only one in the UFC got beat by an outsider. 

Tim Elliot was calling them losers because they were in their feelings about James Krause fighting. It sounds like Seth and Gordon were the frontrunners to replace Krause had he not been cleared. So it was a night full of sour grapes.

And it's not like Krause invited Tim Elliot on the show, that was all TJ Dillashaw. You can't blame him for that. The only person that should have had a problem with that was JT Money since he had to fight Krause.

I dunno b

Whittaker is an nba player and did decent against all-star jacare. Had good enough defense to roll and also shake him off. People without crazy grappling credentials will surprise you in mma. They train and learn enough to stay out of trouble against some of the best.

What I meant was usually illphil is correct on everything regarding Jorge lol

That's all I meant

Just because he's a boxing head doesn't mean he ain't know mma just as well, I believe he's just as fluent in mma

Last edited:
Why is krause even on the show if he's still on the ufc roster?

He lost his fight to get into the TUF house originally so his redemption would be to show how far he's come since then. There was supposed to be another guy who was still with the UFC this season but he dropped out for some reason. I forgot who and why lol.

Ramsey Nijem also was a guy who never officially got cut but probably came back for the potential pay day for winning this season.

I think Twood avoids the takedowns and gets the UD. I just think Woodley is the type of fighter who will be a problem for Maia stylistically.

Lol well you keep it objective on dude I'll give you that

Will be interesting to see if woodley uses any kicks

He is my pick to win the fight I just could see Maia also taking it. Woodley has all the tools on paper to give Maia issues

Last edited:
I think Twood avoids the takedowns and gets the UD. I just think Woodley is the type of fighter who will be a problem for Maia stylistically.

He's also a way better athlete. He has the speed and strength to avoid or push maia away if he gets a hold of him.

^^^

Good point. Jorge was once at 155 and Maia at 185 so there was always the belief that size/strength in Maia's favor might be a factor in that fight.

This one, not so much.

Definitely fair to say woodley is a suped up version of Jorge, even besides the grappling aspect. The pure wrestling and defensive wrestling of woodley is going to be a huge puzzle for Maia

Then you factor in the physical tools and the fact that woodley has been in pressure title fights and defenses

Definitely has the odds in his favor. Maia has guile and also exceptional wrestling well see if his age is too big a factor in controlling woodley like he's been able to do to everyone else recently

D.C. Still all in on his boy pico

“I believe that his story is far from written,” Cormier explained. “You got to remember that the greatest fighters of all time have lost: Anderson Silva has losses and people call him the greatest of all time, Chuck Liddell has losses, Georges St-Pierre has losses. So it’s not like Aaron Pico’s story is written, Aaron Pico’s story is just beginning. You know, he told a chance, and look, man, not everybody is Conor Mcgregor, not everybody shoots big and hits every single time. Aaron Pico shot for the stars and it didn't work out in the first fight, but it’s only the first fight. Aaron Pico is still going to be a world champ and he's still going to be one of the greatest fighters to ever put on a pair of gloves. So no mistake, I believe that the team made the right choice and he’ll be fine.”

Great matchup to see where Gil is at this point in his career. I like the drop down personally to see if his speed and power are still there at that weight. I think he could pose a problem for some of the top .

^^^

Looked like her. Ayeeeeeeee.....

When you put the language barrier and the hyper religion aside, Romero is a pretty interesting guy when he talks.

Last edited:
I kinda think Whittaker and Romero are actually interesting people and have a good contrast to one another

Whittaker very calm and lowkey and a family man. Romero bubbly and outgoing. Both are fighting for their hometowns

Back
Top Bottom