The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

Justin reminds me of a young Robbie Lawler. Pushing forward with relentless pressure, sloppy, hits like a MFer

sloppy? i saw some pretty precise punching from him in between johnson's barrages

he wasnt throwing anywhere near as much or as hard as johnson, but they were more accurate and had way more impact

Last edited:
Listening to the Luke Thomas post TUF show. He alluded to something with the Diaz brothers.

I'm going to go back and watch that Johnson/Gaethje.

Gaethje/ Raging Al
Gaethje/Diaz

Dude failed 2 attempts to climb the cage. On the third he backflips and I legit thought he was gonna break his neck.

Amazing debut, but definitely not the best. The announcers must've forgot about Anderson Silva's debut

Last edited:
Really surprised Johnson didn't get him outta there after having him hurt so many times, either that guys recovery is A1 or Johnson really blew it

But that guy should work on some head movement and slickness instead of just relying on his chin, he could extend his career and be a legit problem for the top guys. He's very hittable. As it is right now I think a guy like Nate would stop him, Conor for sure would, Ferguson might.

Why wait until you get KO'd to make adjustments. He's got attributes for sure but that let me bang bro attitude is so dumb when you could be even more of a problem with some tweaks.

gaethje styles sucks his opponents into a slug fest. until someone drops him, there really is no need to change.
the man has no equal...so far

He's white zombie, lawler, Diego, leben and wandy wrapped into one

He said he was willing to die in the cage and he proves it every fight

Style is horrible and will catch up but who cares he's awesome. F Michael Johnson lol glad he got that work

johnson has decent power but against a heavier hitter, gaethje would've been sleeping with those clean punches he was absorbing.

He's white zombie, lawler, Diego, leben and wandy wrapped into one

He said he was willing to die in the cage and he proves it every fight

Style is horrible and will catch up but who cares he's awesome. F Michael Johnson lol glad he got that work
The first person that came to mind when watching Gaethje was Chris Leben. Gaethje is a dead on doppelganger. He even has Chris Leben's signature zombie mode. 
laugh.gif

Which prompted me to revisit some Leben highlight tapes. Dude fought with unadulterated reckless abandon. 
sick.gif
 The Crippler. 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
sloppy? i saw some pretty precise punching from him in between johnson's barrages

he wasnt throwing anywhere near as much or as hard as johnson, but they were more accurate and had way more impact
Wait you saw him punch and didn't think it was sloppy?maybe I need to go back and watch again but his striking stood out to me right away and not in the good way. He also leaves himself wide open, he's lucky mj doesn't have the power the rest of the division does. Congrats to him but he looked like food to the rest of that division, I'm sure.

Also mj messed but by not continuing the ground in pound after he clipped him.. fight could have been diff

Last edited:
Wait you saw him punch and didn't think it was sloppy?maybe I need to go back and watch again but his striking stood out to me right away and not in the good way. He also leaves himself wide open, he's lucky mj doesn't have the power the rest of the division does. Congrats to him but he looked like food to the rest of that division, I'm sure.

Also mj messed but by not continuing the ground in pound after he clipped him.. fight could have been diff

I just watched the fight. Gaethje does not have a high shelf life. Versus anyone in the top 5-10 is liable to result in a knockout depending on the opponent.

His pressure is on point. And, at the moment, he's got a great chin and durability. But he's definitely got to incorporate more strategy and less risky stand up.

Against Conor. Not sure how the Irish fella deals with the pace/pressure but that heavy left hand would crack dude.

Nick has cardio for days and punches in bunches. He might be able to out point him or legit knock him out (like he did Cowboy).

I think Tony could out point him or crack him depending on Justin's tendencies.

Khabib would be an interesting matchup just to see Justin's grappling.

It was an impressive debut. They picked a good opponent for him to fight and highlight his style.

He's in a bigger pond now and the Terminator schtick only goes so far. Ask RDA.

Last edited:

i guess he started out sloppy, he spent the first couple of min trying to bang with mj, but that could have been adrenaline

as time went on, he settled down and began throwing less and landing more

UFC really gotta wrap these dudes in wool and provide them with the best Doc's and nutritionist. Lose out on too much money  

Luckily I had zero interest in the Nunes fight lmao

Romero/Whittaker

Werdum/Overeem

Pettis/Miller

All better fights. Card is still strong

The thing about Gaethje is he's already said everything everyone in here is saying.

Has said he is going to get KO'd because of his style. That either he'll KO or get KO'd but won't go to decision.

But that he hasn't met his equal yet. He's KO'd damn near everyone he's fought except Guillard who came in heavy.

What happened to Nunes? These last minute cancellations are a whole other level of frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom