The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

Conor never was about cleaning out a division, he's always had his eye on becoming an icon on the fastest track possible. Nobody tinks like he tinks. He truly did break the mold when it comes to MMA fighters and their mindset. While most others traditionally were content to work their way up before getting a title shot Conor had Josie's name in his mouth early and often

No matter who he fights in the UFC, it'll be tough sledding. I don't see him taking any other fight besides Nate, GSP, Woodley and to a lesser extent Tony or Khabib. All 5 are dangerous, even jabbing GSP. I don't think we've seen the last of him in the Octagon

probably wont ever see him with the same work load. he was pretty much doing 3 fights per calendar yr. in a position now to kick back and relax. similar to what nate is doing

Yup. It's sad as an MMA fan but you can't even be mad. Dude made his own way with his finances and has accomplished a lot in the Octagon

He's earned the right to not let Dana have him by the balls like he does all the other fighters

Yeah, Conor deserves everything he's gotten. Has pretty much gone out and done everything he said he would. Now he has the leverage to decide how he moves forward.

Semmy Schilt and Crocop were 2 other guys that did well in both K-1 and MMA. I wonder why Rico Verhoeven hasn't tried to jump into MMA yet

On the topic of mma fighters in other combat sports, why doesn't overeem get much praise for actually being a k-1 grand prix champion? He actually had to win a tournament and beat pro kickboxers. Maybe he did get shine but I wasn't paying attention in 2010. I looked it up and saw he beat tyrone spong in the semis.

Anything outside of boxing seems like the ugly stepchild in the family of combat sports. Hell, MMA and the UFC still has a ways to go

I wouldn't expect Reem to get much spotlight for those accomplishments in the past

overeem got plenty of praise for winning the grand prix even though it wasn't the strongest field.. he was very feared during that time period dude was on a roll (hadn't lost in a few years) in addition to that gear heavy. :lol: there's a reason why fedor stayed away from him.

overreem got plenty of praise for winning the grand prix even though it wasn't the strongest field.. he was very feared during that time period dude was on a roll in addition to that gear heavy. :lol: there's a reason why fedor stayed away from him.
Depends if Shogun was referring to mainstream praise

does the mainstream even know who he is now? i was referring to the mma community.

Prime Fedor would've wrecked Overeem

overeem got plenty of praise for winning the grand prix even though it wasn't the strongest field.. he was very feared during that time period dude was on a roll (hadn't lost in a few years) in addition to that gear heavy. :lol: there's a reason why fedor stayed away from him.

True but even professional boxers have trouble landing punches on Matweather. That uppercut landed flush. Only person I can remember landing a punch like that was Mosley.
Bruh ... he landed a punch or two because Mayweather allowed it to happen. How can yo u be impressed when Mayweather clearly didn't even box .. he just cover and went forward ... No vintage Mayweather ... No shoulder lean no counter punching ... just press and straights.

I have any top boxer beating Conor easily.

I mean GGG is usually 171-172 lbs on fight night, Canelo around 175 lbs fight night, they're around the weight of Conor fight night, if Conor had fought 1 of them he would've gotten himself seriously hurt

I'm having a hard time reconciling Conor's lack of power in the boxing ring. Does those 4oz make THAT big of a difference?

The Jose Aldo & Eddie Alvarez losses look so much worse in hindsight now. Those guys have glass jaws.

I'm having a hard time reconciling Conor's lack of power in the boxing ring. Does those 4oz make THAT big of a difference?

The Jose Aldo & Eddie Alvarez losses look so much worse in hindsight now. Those guys have glass jaws.
MMA fighters usually have terrible stand up defense, so Josie and Eddie just got what was coming to them

Just a different ball game when you're in a squared circle and not the Octagon.. then when it's freakin Floyd Mayweather you're fighting an uphill battle. Whether he's 40 or not

Conor was basically just hitting Floyd's elbows and gloves 70% of the match. That has to be exhausting and when you factor in Conor has questionable cardio to begin with you know whatever power he does have will fade after about 15 minutes

In MMA he's more free to throw looping and wind up punches. He really extends in MMA. Last night all you saw was pitter patter from Conor

I think on average, boxers can take a punch better than MMA guys.
And I don't think many if any MMA guys throw as hard either. Boxers are superior with that stuff.

guys like aldo and alvarez ran right a conor exposing themselves

its a lot harder to knock someone out when theyre just standing there with both hands up protecting their head with 8 oz boxing gloves

when mayweather sent that final flurry, there was a moment where he ran right at conor the same way, conor was falling back from fatigue and just didnt have the energy to do anything about it

Back
Top Bottom