The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

aldo is done....

It be like that, thats the MMA game...your career only lasts as long as your chin. With that being said, despite being KO'd 3 out of his last 4.....aldo still goes down as GOAT FW...

The old lion has been dethroned by the young lion....its the natural cycle of the alpha...happened to chuck, anderson, lyoto, aldo...etc.....

Well see if DC is still king of the hill or if the young lion Volkan can take his spot...could very well be time

Aldos run was amazing, up there with Jones.

Ngannnu gonna get that strap, seems like hes gearing up for a long dominant run...we shall see

Aldo should retire, he has nothing left to accomplish in the sport.

USADA got him looking funny in the light.

Conor took his soul.

Aldo would get eaten alive at 155.

He easily beat Frankie post USADA.

He's not young Aldo anymore, Conor had power and a height and reach advantage in addition to being accurate as ****, and Max has cardio, a great pressure game and a crazy chin, as well as height advantage. Tough matchups in his prime and even tougher in his older age. It is what it is

Only thing for him to do in mma is to go to 155

Does it look promising? Not at all, but we've seen guys fail at 145 go to 155 and have success

Just wonder about his mindset. It's different being the champ for so long and then getting dismantled twice, to work your way back up seems exhausting mentally

FIXED!

Only thing for him to do in mma is to go to 155

Does it look promising? Not at all, but we've seen guys fail at 145 go to 155 and have success

Just wonder about his mindset. It's different being the champ for so long and then getting dismantled twice thrice*, to work your way back up seems exhausting mentally

True. I like how Conor is planting seeds

Hopefully he's at least seriously considering mma, I'd like to see him a few more times before he calls it quits

1st Rnd Max 'Blessed' Halloway said:
He's already tired boys.

Sucks to see my guy Aldo lose in virtually the same fashion as before.

Forgot who said he looked shook near the 1st round, but I believe he's right. At the end of the first, where Aldo tags Max and he just eats it, taunts and walks to his corner unscathed. That's two fights of you tagging a guy who:
A. Is showing any damage whatsoever. No bruising, no cuts, no redness. NOTHING
&
B. This guy is basically walking through all of your offense.
Witnessing that in there is deflating AF. Like you feel like you're neck and neck with a guy, but he's clearly hurting you and he's fresh faced. Now you're being more conservative and tentative trying to find 'THE RIGHT SHOT'. Then Max poured it on in the 3rd by goading Aldo into a slugfest which emptied the rest of his tank on those wide looping punches. Max was patient and kept it 'Nice & Flowy (ARTEEEEM)'. His cardio and chin are crazy

Still don't understand the lack of leg kicks. They were there for him and seemed to stagger Max a bit with the left hook, right thigh kick staple he's been known for. I really feel like he could have been his way to victory. Aldo, still has a decent chin for all that it's worth. He was taking some shots in that 3rd round and he just wouldn't fall.

What do yall think is difference is between the pressure that Frankie puts on Aldo, versus Holloway's pressure? I think it's power and the flowyness of his fight style.

I agree with pretty much all your assessment there

The difference between Frankie and max is definitely the power and precision of max

Frankie has volume and a chin but I don't think he has more power than max. Max has always shown exceptional fight iq and technique to boot

I think another really really big factor to Max's success is his flowy style. Joe, mentioned it several times about how he doesn't load up and is always extremely relaxed in the ring. Even when he's throwing wide it still comes off smooth and with little effort. Max lacks the tells that traditional fighters like Frankie possess where you get that split second where they tense up before throwing a strike.

Also, Aldo's head movement was so good in this fight. That pressure is just something else. Max is truly a special fighter.

Last edited:
Max is similar in ways to the Diaz brothers with his pressure game. He’s tall with a good reach and he throws a lot of volume but he’s accurate as well. Not knockout punches but he’s always touching you, he’s got enough power to get your attention, and then he’ll slip some in here and there that have enough on it to really hurt you.

And then on top of the fact that he’s usually taller and longer than the guys he fights, even if you do hit him he has an iron chin. I was shocked when he ate those flurries in the first Aldo fight, he was was getting pieced up and I thought he was a couple seconds away from being outta there but he still never went down. And then his cardio is A1 too. Having that type of fighter standing across from you is tough. If you can’t hurt him and you don’t have the cardio to continue to avoid punches and outbox him for 3-5 rounds, then there’s a good chance you’re getting walked down. Both Aldo fights are real reminiscent of a Diaz bros fight, Aldo Max 1 was similar in a lot of ways to Nate and Conor.

It woulda been nice to see him vs Frankie just to see how he handles a guy who also has crazy cardio and more than likely a wrestling advantage. I think that fight would be real interesting, but I guess we’ll have to see if the UFC tries it again, especially when the potential for Max and Conor is out there.

Agree with the Diaz bro comparison, only thing is though max is tall his reach is actually not that exceptional

He's smart enough to make use of his height both defensively and offensively though, so it appears he has some reach

Yea the Aldo/Pettis ship has long since sailed and I doubt anyone is clamoring for that one now, maybe if they both can string a couple wins together first. Aldo should def move to LW if he's having that much trouble making weight, he won't win the belt but some good matchups to make at LW for him. Maybe match his first fight with someone whose fringe top 10 like Dunham or Iaquinta.

I got my money on Holly vs Cyborg. Book it

Cyborg is an easy but she been facing duds. This gonna be her toughest test

What's Cyborg's cardio like? I've never watched her fight, I just know she does a pretty good death simulation for other women she fights.

I'm sure we've discussed it before but: Should DJ get paid more to defend / have a super-fight with The Snek? Why or why not?

Seems like the TJ-MM will get made its just a matter of them coming to terms. I think MM def deserves more money for being the champ so long and holding a record for defenses. He'll likely never be a huge draw but neither is TJ.

^if he isnt drawing, why would they pay him big money. The numbers dont lie, the guy is an all-time great fighter, but he's a ufc on fox attraction

^^Very true, I just think he deserves it off accomplishments but am aware that's not all it takes to deserve a big payday. That being said that fight would make more sense as a co-headliner to a big PPV (maybe under the HW title) but it likely doesnt do well as the headliner. Just like the Cyborg-Holm fight is an amazing matchup but that PPV likely doesn't draw too well.

Back
Top Bottom